Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #6,738 of 8,222
I also tried J3 last night and it seems to be a winner compared to MX3. Today I'm going to compare J3 on one 1A to MX3 on my other 1A.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #6,739 of 8,222
Thank you MrWalkman. Haven't had time to test with all my headphones yet, but I can clearly see the evolution in the bass register. I can't decide yet if I prefer MX3 or J3 with all headphones.
But I agree with the comments of the first feedback: bass with J3 more punchy than with J, and similarities with MX3 although J3 is more refined, more natural and seems closer to the original recording.
Either way, another really interesting development.

I hope that the ZX300 and A-series versions will arrive soon.
Thanks again.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #6,740 of 8,222
I also tried J3 last night and it seems to be a winner compared to MX3. Today I'm going to compare J3 on one 1A to MX3 on my other 1A.

Thanks for the upcoming comparison!

Thank you MrWalkman. Haven't had time to test with all my headphones yet, but I can clearly see the evolution in the bass register. I can't decide yet if I prefer MX3 or J3 with all headphones.
But I agree with the comments of the first feedback: bass with J3 more punchy than with J, and similarities with MX3 although J3 is more refined, more natural and seems closer to the original recording.
Either way, another really interesting development.

I hope that the ZX300 and A-series versions will arrive soon.
Thanks again.

I also find J3 more refined overall, and also more natural. I really like it!

The regions will be available on the other players as well.

I consider this release as a sort of "preview", hence why it was published only on the forum and not on the website.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,741 of 8,222
Thanks for the upcoming comparison!

I also find J3 more refined overall, and also more natural. I really like it!

The regions will be available on the other players as well.

I consider this release as a sort of "preview", hence why it was published only on the forum and not on the website.
J3 seems to strike a nice balance between J and MX3 which are the 2 regions I've been swapping between the last year. I can see myself staying on it

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #6,742 of 8,222
J3 is a winner!
Farewell E and MX3!

Congrats @MrWalkman your sorcery skills still keeps surprising us!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #6,744 of 8,222
On another note, a bit earlier on the thread, some people were talking about the mids being too recessed on the MDR-Z1R with the Walkman One fw.

Has anybody found a good setting for those headphones? I may be considering getting some and wanted to know how people fare with them and a 1A or 1Z and the cfw.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #6,745 of 8,222
On another note, a bit earlier on the thread, some people were talking about the mids being too recessed on the MDR-Z1R with the Walkman One fw.

Has anybody found a good setting for those headphones? I may be considering getting some and wanted to know how people fare with them and a 1A or 1Z and the cfw.
I’m running Bright and don’t find them recessed

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #6,746 of 8,222
Mar 10, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #6,747 of 8,222

That was actually my feeling. I went back to the stock FW for a while on both the ZX300 and the WM1A. But I wasn't satisfied either because with most of my headphones, WM1A and ZX300 are really improved by WalkmanOne signature WM1Z.
With the stock FW, I felt like a very significant regression. After having also tested the other signatures, it is WM1Z that I prefer because it is the one that I find the most natural.
With Bright and Warm, I sometimes seem to perceive somewhat accentuated resonances (this is still what I noticed these last days while listening to various albums by Víkingur Ólafsson).

So I reinstalled WalkmanOne signature WM1Z on the 2 DAPs, choosing the MX3 region (J3 was not yet available) which, from my point of view, then offered the best mids. When I listen to locally stored tracks with the IER-Z1R, I use the DAP's equalizer. And when I listen to AppleMusic with my phone by activating the BT Receiver mode on the DAP, I also activate the Wavelet application, and I select the AutoEq intended for the Z1R (about 50% of the setting). I compared MX3 and J3 with the Z1R last night, and I think I finally preferred J3, for the same reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

The real question is perhaps that the signature of the Z1R no longer suits me perfectly today?

For now, I'm still amazed by the performance of the Z1R, their high resolution, and their high and wide soundstage like I've never encountered on any headphones. With live recordings, it's totally amazing (if you like the rock band The National, try listening to the album "Boxer Live in Brussels": you have the impression of being physically in the concert hall and feeling the vibrations in your whole body).

But from a sound signature standpoint alone, I ultimately think I prefer the tonal balance of the N3. But the N3 don't match the qualities of the Z1R when it comes to resolution, definition, transparency or the soundstage. What a dilemma!

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #6,749 of 8,222
I hope the said new regions become available to ZX300 as well.
I hope so too. I am patiently waiting here with my ZX300 :D

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #6,750 of 8,222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back