Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 27, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #6,586 of 8,265
(sorry too lazy to go through 400 pages for the answer if it was discussed before)

Anyone tried the sound of WM1A and ZX300 when they are on the same latest MrWalkman CFW? I am considering about getting a used ZX300 in compliment to the WM1A i already owned (for better portability), just curious the sound quality difference between the two is mainly due to hardware or (intentionally limited by) software? (by searching the topic i found comment from aceedburn at #6430), "The zx300 is pretty much a mini version of the 1A. I had it for a year or so and then got the 1A. The immediate key differences I noticed were the soundstage, bass texture and quality and vocal presence was better on the 1A. Everything else was pretty much the same." is the difference subtle or is it a easily audible one?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #6,587 of 8,265
(sorry too lazy to go through 400 pages for the answer if it was discussed before)

Anyone tried the sound of WM1A and ZX300 when they are on the same latest MrWalkman CFW? I am considering about getting a used ZX300 in compliment to the WM1A i already owned (for better portability), just curious the sound quality difference between the two is mainly due to hardware or (intentionally limited by) software? (by searching the topic i found comment from aceedburn at #6430), "The zx300 is pretty much a mini version of the 1A. I had it for a year or so and then got the 1A. The immediate key differences I noticed were the soundstage, bass texture and quality and vocal presence was better on the 1A. Everything else was pretty much the same." is the difference subtle or is it a easily audible one?
Hi, the zx300 is a very capable player that has the Sony house sound and also a myriad of other features that is on the 1A as well. As i mentioned before, the differences in sound is more than subtle, it is immediately heard. I had both side by side for at least a week before i sold the zx300. 1A exudes with excellence and details. ZX300 is slightly subdued and warmer overall. Apart from that, its about the same in terms of features and of course 1A has more power from the ports as well. With Walkman one firmware, it elevates the experience in both players although I haven’t tried walkman one on zx300 as i don’t have it anymore. The differences are indeed hardware related and also tuning as well.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #6,588 of 8,265
Hi, the zx300 is a very capable player that has the Sony house sound and also a myriad of other features that is on the 1A as well. As i mentioned before, the differences in sound is more than subtle, it is immediately heard. I had both side by side for at least a week before i sold the zx300. 1A exudes with excellence and details. ZX300 is slightly subdued and warmer overall. Apart from that, its about the same in terms of features and of course 1A has more power from the ports as well. With Walkman one firmware, it elevates the experience in both players although I haven’t tried walkman one on zx300 as i don’t have it anymore. The differences are indeed hardware related and also tuning as well.
Thanks for the clarification. One more question here, as i read from the reviews there is quite a difference in the sound quality between balanced (4.4mm) and unbalanced (3.5mm) in stock firmware of ZX300, is it still the case with MrWalkman' CFW installed (so the real question is, is the 3.5mm output of ZX300 intentionally made handicap by Sony in firmware tuning)?

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #6,589 of 8,265
Thanks for the clarification. One more question here, as i read from the reviews there is quite a difference in the sound quality between balanced (4.4mm) and unbalanced (3.5mm) in stock firmware of ZX300, is it still the case with MrWalkman' CFW installed (so the real question is, is the 3.5mm output of ZX300 intentionally made handicap by Sony in firmware tuning)?
Yes there is a noticeable difference between the 3:5mm and 4.4mm ports. 4.4mm outputs more power and you hear better details, separation and improved soundstage. Walkman One takes it one step further by enablint pure dsd through the 3.5mm port. Stock firmware only allows direct dsd without conversion through the balanced port.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #6,590 of 8,265
Yes there is a noticeable difference between the 3:5mm and 4.4mm ports. 4.4mm outputs more power and you hear better details, separation and improved soundstage. Walkman One takes it one step further by enablint pure dsd through the 3.5mm port. Stock firmware only allows direct dsd without conversion through the balanced port.
So long story short, the CFW did not close the gap between the two, except giving the capabilities of DSD native playback (which was intentionally disabled in stock firmware) in 3.5mm output, the sound quality difference has more to do with hardware rather than firmware tuning?

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #6,591 of 8,265
So long story short, the CFW did not close the gap between the two, except giving the capabilities of DSD native playback (which was intentionally disabled in stock firmware) in 3.5mm output, the sound quality difference has more to do with hardware rather than firmware tuning?
My personal and necessarily subjective experience is that upon unboxing, I was extremely disappointed with the 3.5mm output of the ZX300. I found that of the PHA-1A very superior.

As I rewired under my headphones to only use the 4.4mm output, I left the SE port for a very long time.

When the WM1A arrived, I found that it really brought a significant improvement on the 4.4mm port, and even more important on the 3.5mm port, compared to the ZX300 (level of detail, resolution, separation, soundstage ).

By installing WalkmanOne (WM1Z signature) on the ZX300 and the WM1A, I found that the gap narrowed between the 2 DAPs. Today, I really have a hard time distinguishing a difference in quality with the 4.4mm port. The difference remains with the 3.5mm port. But I must admit that with the run-in + Walkman One, the 3.5mm port of the ZX300 is now quite acceptable...

... but it's not exceptional. For example, the 3.5mm output on the A&K SR25 that I had for a few months seemed to me to be far superior to that of the ZX300, and even that of the WM1A

In conclusion, I could say:
- that with the WM1A and the ZX300, it is really recommended to use the 4.4mm port first
- that the FW WalkmanOne installed on the 2 DAPs brings the quality of the 4.4mm port much closer, but that the difference in quality remains more noticeable with the 3.5mm port, despite the use of the FW WalkmanOne.

The ZX300 remains my favorite DAP for on the go because it's smaller and lighter than the WM1A. And with good headphones (IER-M7, IER-Z1R for example), the ZX300 is really perfect with the 4.4mm output.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #6,592 of 8,265
It doesn’t close the gap but improves sound quality in both outputs regardless.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #6,593 of 8,265
I've noticed that most of this forum describes the changes Mr. Walkman's custom firmware has on a WM1A. I haven't heard anyone referring to the changes to a WM1Z, which is what I have. I am using The Walkman One firmware in plus 2 with the bright tuning with the mx3 region. My headphones are Focal Utopias and I have a moon audio black dragon 4.4 cable for the balanced output. I have tried all of the firmwares on my unit and I can't seem to find one that is to my liking. I am 55 years old and I realize my ears are not what they used to be so I am searching for a firmware that is detailed yet warm. It seems I lose detail when I try the warm firmware and I am thinking of going back to the 3.02 Sony firmware. I am also wondering if my headphones are too bright and I should maybe go with some electrostatics. I'm about to get tired of chasing this elusive sound.
Just need some advice.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6,594 of 8,265
I've noticed that most of this forum describes the changes Mr. Walkman's custom firmware has on a WM1A. I haven't heard anyone referring to the changes to a WM1Z, which is what I have. I am using The Walkman One firmware in plus 2 with the bright tuning with the mx3 region. My headphones are Focal Utopias and I have a moon audio black dragon 4.4 cable for the balanced output. I have tried all of the firmwares on my unit and I can't seem to find one that is to my liking. I am 55 years old and I realize my ears are not what they used to be so I am searching for a firmware that is detailed yet warm. It seems I lose detail when I try the warm firmware and I am thinking of going back to the 3.02 Sony firmware. I am also wondering if my headphones are too bright and I should maybe go with some electrostatics. I'm about to get tired of chasing this elusive sound.
Just need some advice.
Try the WM1Z sound signature instead of Bright. And is DAC initialisation on Normal or alternate mode? Try normal mode. And keep region on MX3 and plus mode on V2.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #6,596 of 8,265
I'm sure this has been addressed but how do the mods effect battery life?
Plus V1 consumes an extra 20-25% over stock while Plus V2 might consume slightly less than stock. Otherwise everything is as on stock

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #6,597 of 8,265
Try the WM1Z sound signature instead of Bright. And is DAC initialisation on Normal or alternate mode? Try normal mode. And keep region on MX3 and plus mode on V2.
Just tried it and have been listening to different songs mostly 24/96 flac and I think you solved my problem. Very detailed and not so bright, will try on my headphones when I get home. Thank you so much.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,598 of 8,265
I just upgraded from the 1A
Just need some advice.
I just upgraded from the 1A and find myself in a similar situation. I found perfection with the 1A on E Region Walkman One Bright but haven't settled on one yet for the 1Z using my IER-Z1R. I think my ears are still adjusting and even though I passed the recommended 200 hr burn in I'm still open to some subtle changes but I feel I now understand the base signature of the 1Z.
For me the extended treble is the tricky one to balance with all the different recordings. I originally went with the same E/Bright I had for my 1A but found the treble a bit to much (not sibilant) so switched to MX3, but still wanted to tone it down a bit so I'm currently on Warm. Warm has taken toned the treble down but I feel I've lost something elsewhere.
My listening sessions are often brief with 1-2 day gaps so it will be a slow process to settling on one. I might revisit the previous combos, even stock as I've surprised myself before how I actually liked one I had disliked before.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #6,599 of 8,265
I just upgraded from the 1A

I just upgraded from the 1A and find myself in a similar situation. I found perfection with the 1A on E Region Walkman One Bright but haven't settled on one yet for the 1Z using my IER-Z1R. I think my ears are still adjusting and even though I passed the recommended 200 hr burn in I'm still open to some subtle changes but I feel I now understand the base signature of the 1Z.
For me the extended treble is the tricky one to balance with all the different recordings. I originally went with the same E/Bright I had for my 1A but found the treble a bit to much (not sibilant) so switched to MX3, but still wanted to tone it down a bit so I'm currently on Warm. Warm has taken toned the treble down but I feel I've lost something elsewhere.
My listening sessions are often brief with 1-2 day gaps so it will be a slow process to settling on one. I might revisit the previous combos, even stock as I've surprised myself before how I actually liked one I had disliked before.
On my Nayparm modded 1Z I’m on MX3, Plus V2, alternative dac, bright and source direct with the IER-Z1R

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #6,600 of 8,265
On my Nayparm modded 1Z I’m on MX3, Plus V2, alternative dac, bright and source direct with the IER-Z1R
Since my 1Z arrived I was busy with the Christmas period then have been treated to a fantastic summer so I'm a bit ashamed of my 1Z time. I'll go back and try Bright again.
Although maybe minimal I've almost forgotten about the Plus V2 as I had it on by default with my 1A, you reminded me to activate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back