Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 24, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #6,571 of 8,232
I don't have Apple devices, so I have no idea how to help you in this case. Maybe Apple Music is able to set a connected DAC's sample rate, like in Morchingen's case.
It seems to me that when connecting a DAC wired to an Apple device, the sample rate matches. This explains for example the interest of using an Apple device as a wired source for Apple Music.

Whereas with an Android phone, the Android audio layer is only bypassed by specific apps (like Neutron or UAPP for example) but not by the Apple Music app.

On the other hand, for Apple Music, the use of an Android smartphone is more interesting when you activate the BT Receiver mode on the DAP because in this case, you can use the LDAC codec whereas with an Apple device, the best codec remains the AAC.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #6,572 of 8,232
Strange indeed. I use an Ipod touch 7 to stream Apple Music. The bitrate displayed on the WM1A screen always corresponds to the bitrate of the track played on the iPod. For example, for this Joni Mitchell album broadcast in ALAC 24bits/192 kHz.
I connect the WM1A to the Ipod using the Sony proprietary cable and the Apple adapter (lighting-usb A).
I’m Streaming music from my NAS, so using the brand’s IOS app to stream the music on my ipad. Based on what you said I then tried playing music via the Files app and I started seeing the correct sample rate on 1A. So I wonder whether this is a limitation in the audio app that I’m using. As far as I can see there aren’t any settings to change this

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #6,573 of 8,232
I’m Streaming music from my NAS, so using the brand’s IOS app to stream the music on my ipad. Based on what you said I then tried playing music via the Files app and I started seeing the correct sample rate on 1A. So I wonder whether this is a limitation in the audio app that I’m using. As far as I can see there aren’t any settings to change this

Oh, then it has to be about the app.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #6,574 of 8,232
Oh, then it has to be about the app.
I share your analysis on the role of the application. When I use the MusicLife (Arcam) app on my Ipod to stream music stored on my Auralic Aries Mini, the rate on the WM1A is always 16bits/44.1kHz regardless of the bitrate of the file.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #6,575 of 8,232
I wanted to ask a question, maybe someone can dispel my doubts.
The wm1a has low gain and high gain, and in my opinion they have two different modes for the sound, other than the output power.
I much prefer the low gain sonic presentation.
The problem is that at 120 the volume is really low. I tried to solve the problem by raising the whole graph to +9.0 dB. Now play with more power, let's say at the same level as a 105 high gain. What I wanted to ask, raising the dB to make up for the lack of volume, risk damaging the driver? In the end I didn't set those dBs to make it sound like a bell, just to use the low gain with the volume power similar to the high gain. If someone can give me confirmation that nothing happens I leave it like this, otherwise I admit the limits of the walkman and I leave it in gigh gain without touching dB or settings

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #6,576 of 8,232
I wanted to ask a question, maybe someone can dispel my doubts.
The wm1a has low gain and high gain, and in my opinion they have two different modes for the sound, other than the output power.
I much prefer the low gain sonic presentation.
The problem is that at 120 the volume is really low. I tried to solve the problem by raising the whole graph to +9.0 dB. Now play with more power, let's say at the same level as a 105 high gain. What I wanted to ask, raising the dB to make up for the lack of volume, risk damaging the driver? In the end I didn't set those dBs to make it sound like a bell, just to use the low gain with the volume power similar to the high gain. If someone can give me confirmation that nothing happens I leave it like this, otherwise I admit the limits of the walkman and I leave it in gigh gain without touching dB or settings
It should be fine, you’ll most likely damage your ears before the drivers

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #6,577 of 8,232
perfect, thank you very much for the reply.
Then it depends on the track it plays, in this instant I'm listening to ronnie james dio; the track to play at a decent volume just 105, I gave it more power to play older songs with much lower volume with volune volumes.
At this point I would like to tell you to try with your walkman; the sound presentation in low gain is much cleaner on the low frequencies, does not mix and show themselves with a much cleaner background; the volume does not have the same dynamics as the high gain; but unless you drive the wm1a with a magnetoplanar it should still give your satisfaction.
who tries then let me know, in this way you can use even the most difficult regions such as CN, stressful on 8 khz, with much more naturalness

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #6,578 of 8,232
If you have WalkmanOne installed, have you ever tried selecting [GMD]=[1] in the settings file?
The available options: [0] for Normal gain, [1] for Higher gain, or [2] for Lower gain.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #6,579 of 8,232
If you have WalkmanOne installed, have you ever tried selecting [GMD]=[1] in the settings file?
The available options: [0] for Normal gain, [1] for Higher gain, or [2] for Lower gain.
already set to 1, but still sounds much weaker than the high gain

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #6,580 of 8,232
perfect, thank you very much for the reply.
Then it depends on the track it plays, in this instant I'm listening to ronnie james dio; the track to play at a decent volume just 105, I gave it more power to play older songs with much lower volume with volune volumes.
At this point I would like to tell you to try with your walkman; the sound presentation in low gain is much cleaner on the low frequencies, does not mix and show themselves with a much cleaner background; the volume does not have the same dynamics as the high gain; but unless you drive the wm1a with a magnetoplanar it should still give your satisfaction.
who tries then let me know, in this way you can use even the most difficult regions such as CN, stressful on 8 khz, with much more naturalness
What headphones are you driving, for some high impedance or low efficiency phones the WM don’t quite have enough power and driving force.

Also are you on 3.5 or 4.4 ?

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #6,581 of 8,232
What headphones are you driving, for some high impedance or low efficiency phones the WM don’t quite have enough power and driving force.

Also are you on 3.5 or 4.4 ?
MDR R10 on 4.4

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #6,582 of 8,232
One thing I realized is that the "Higher gain" option in the settings file only works with Direct Source on, so you may want to give that a try.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #6,583 of 8,232
@MrWalkman what's the catch with the CFW folder? It doesn't appear at all. Is it hidden or something?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #6,584 of 8,232
@MrWalkman what's the catch with the CFW folder? It doesn't appear at all. Is it hidden or something?

Thanks

You can access it from a PC using a USB cable, via the Mass Storage mode (in the internal storage). It's not accessible from the player itself.

Of course, that is if you are on the Walkman One firmware (check this in the Unit Information menu).

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #6,585 of 8,232
Reinstalled the firmware, everything is fine! Now off to testing the different modes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back