Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #6,376 of 8,327
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #6,377 of 8,327
@MrWalkman, When you have the warm external tuning applied, do you have to reinstall the external tuning if you want neutral or it would just work.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #6,378 of 8,327
@MrWalkman, When you have the warm external tuning applied, do you have to reinstall the external tuning if you want neutral or it would just work.
He answered me in another post: you need to reinstall the external tuning, aka do everything normally, even for the same tuning file :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #6,379 of 8,327
DMP-WM_FEv2 performa xlise in the bass of a real DMP-Z1 the details of the fw mod are not quite there as wekk the holographic.

On the other hand chamaleon 2.0 has the golography of a real DMP-Z1

image.jpg

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #6,381 of 8,327
DMP-WM_FEv2 performa xlise in the bass of a real DMP-Z1 the details of the fw mod are not quite there as wekk the holographic.

On the other hand chamaleon 2.0 has the golography of a real DMP-Z1

image.jpg

Chameleon 2.0 is a lesser variant of the "WM1Z" sound in the Walkman One firmware.

I would suggest also checking out the "Bright" sound signature in the Walkman One firmware.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #6,382 of 8,327
Sigh, my wm1a player broke and I got an AK SR25 as a replacement...Makes you realise how good sony are :triportsad:

You should've given a try to something like A45/A55 with "Walkman One", which is based on the WM1A/Z firmware. You'd be surprised! :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #6,383 of 8,327
Sigh, my wm1a player broke and I got an AK SR25 as a replacement...Makes you realise how good sony are :triportsad:
At the end of November 2020, I bought an SR25 with the black friday promotion. I sold it a few months later because I much preferred my ZX300 with MrWalkman's FWs. I bought the used WM1A with the recovered funds. As MrWalkman wrote above, in case of bad luck, better get an A45 or A55 and use WalkmanOne.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #6,384 of 8,327
I have a A45 with Mrwalkmans firmware and fiio fh3 earphones for daily use. I want something more now and I'm not sure if a should consider a better walkman that are hard to find in my region or not. I have all major fiio products available but I don't like there UI and I have never tested there sound signature. Any advice.

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,385 of 8,327
I have a A45 with Mrwalkmans firmware and fiio fh3 earphones for daily use. I want something more now and I'm not sure if a should consider a better walkman that are hard to find in my region or not. I have all major fiio products available but I don't like there UI and I have never tested there sound signature. Any advice.
No matter how good the firmware is, you'll notice much more by putting your money into iems. Say we're talking a £500 player, instead get £500 campfire andromedas. You could pair those fiios with a Chord Dave they'll sound worse than Andros on a smartphone, they just cant match the andro detail retrieval no matter what.

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,386 of 8,327
I tend to compare DAPs to camera bodies and headphones/IEMs to lenses. Investing the same amount of money you get much better returns from lenses / headphones in terms of image /sound quality vs bodies / DAPs

(the above will probably sound Klingon to the millennials who think a mobile phone is a real camera - but I digress)

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #6,387 of 8,327
Okie thanks so much!
He answered me in another post: you need to reinstall the external tuning, aka do everything normally, even for the same tuning file :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #6,388 of 8,327
You should've given a try to something like A45/A55 with "Walkman One", which is based on the WM1A/Z firmware. You'd be surprised! :)
Just found an A45 for £105 new, ill pop the walkman one on it, and do a comparison with the SR25 here for fun :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #6,389 of 8,327

After getting a new A55 with Mr.Walkman's FW, my Cayin N3Pro, Acmee MF02S, ZiShan Z4, AP80 Pro, I sold them all. You may get different sound signatures from different DAPs using differenet DACs, say bigger sound-stage, better highs. I've also tried some daps with 2.5/4.4mm, maybe I can get better separation / driving power. But, I will never find those addictive vocals and the best bass from them like Sony do. I still feel so amazing about the sounds of my A55 with Walkman One FW. Trust me, I have a long history of buying mp3s / Daps, and familiar with all different sound signatures :wink: A55 ( A45 ) is still very competitive even compared to those $500 mid-range DAPs nowadays. If you like the tuning of your A45, no need to look around and just save your money for new earphones.

mp3s21.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #6,390 of 8,327
After getting a new A55 with Mr.Walkman's FW, my Cayin N3Pro, Acmee MF02S, ZiShan Z4, AP80 Pro, I sold them all. You may get different sound signatures from different DAPs using differenet DACs, say bigger sound-stage, better highs. I've also tried some daps with 2.5/4.4mm, maybe I can get better separation / driving power. But, I will never find those addictive vocals and the best bass from them like Sony do. I still feel so amazing about the sounds of my A55 with Walkman One FW. Trust me, I have a long history of buying mp3s / Daps, and familiar with all different sound signatures :wink: A55 ( A45 ) is still very competitive even compared to those $500 mid-range DAPs nowadays. If you like the tuning of your A45, no need to look around and just save your money for new earphones.

mp3s21.jpg
My feelings exactly though I have not tried as many daps as you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back