Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 22, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #5,281 of 8,224
so with the new CFW we can change regions (J , E , MX3 etc) whenever we feel like doing so ?

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #5,282 of 8,224
so with the new CFW we can change regions (J , E , MX3 etc) whenever we feel like doing so ?

Yes, from a settings file that you can edit with Notepad, and which you'll be able to find in the internal memory of the player.

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #5,283 of 8,224
Yes, from a settings file that you can edit with Notepad, and which you'll be able to find in the internal memory of the player.

damn man , you are a ****in' wizard - what is this sorcery ?

still enjoying FEv2 , but i will download the new CFWs for when i want a little change in my (wm1a) life

is there another dap around that has gotten such a treatment like the one by @MrWalkman ?

talk about upgrading your dap's value....

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #5,284 of 8,224
PXL_20210822_215530245-01.jpeg

Didn't listen to music to some speakers in a very long time.

It's a pretty old (2008) "Micro HIFI Component System", Sony CMT-EH25.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #5,285 of 8,224
@MrWalkman - thank you for all you do! Can't even begin to tell you how much more Im enjoying my music ever since I installed your CFW. BUT, having an issue trying to revert to stock so I can install the new versions released earlier this week.

I'm currently on DMP-WM1 FE. When I went to revert to stock, the first stock revert file worked fine however when trying to revert to the stock tuning (using the stock tuning revert file from the DMP-WM1 FE package), I keep getting this error message: "Connect target device to a computer with a USB cable". I've tried everything without any luck. Is there another way that I can get the unit back to stock? Would the factory reset from within the unit work? Desperately want to try the new CFW but need to get back to stock before I can re-install. Really hoping there's a solution! Let me know if there's something that I'm missing. Thank you!

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #5,286 of 8,224
@MrWalkman - thank you for all you do! Can't even begin to tell you how much more Im enjoying my music ever since I installed your CFW. BUT, having an issue trying to revert to stock so I can install the new versions released earlier this week.

I'm currently on DMP-WM1 FE. When I went to revert to stock, the first stock revert file worked fine however when trying to revert to the stock tuning (using the stock tuning revert file from the DMP-WM1 FE package), I keep getting this error message: "Connect target device to a computer with a USB cable". I've tried everything without any luck. Is there another way that I can get the unit back to stock? Would the factory reset from within the unit work? Desperately want to try the new CFW but need to get back to stock before I can re-install. Really hoping there's a solution! Let me know if there's something that I'm missing. Thank you!

Can you please check the Unit information menu and confirm that the StockRevert actually worked or not?

You need to use the StockRevert made for DMP-WM1 FE if you have that installed.

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #5,287 of 8,224
damn man , you are a ****in' wizard - what is this sorcery ?

still enjoying FEv2 , but i will download the new CFWs for when i want a little change in my (wm1a) life

is there another dap around that has gotten such a treatment like the one by @MrWalkman ?

talk about upgrading your dap's value....
I can confirm that so far the Dawn v2 is a least equally good as FEv2. At least to these ears.

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #5,288 of 8,224
Can you please check the Unit information menu and confirm that the StockRevert actually worked or not?

You need to use the StockRevert made for DMP-WM1 FE if you have that installed.
Hi MrWalkman, I used the StockRevert made for DMP-WM1 FE. Under System Software on the Unit Info screen it shows "3.02 2016 - 2021 Sony Corporation" and beneath that it shows "DMP-WM1 FE (Classic) Firmware mod by MrWalkman". Is that correct?

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #5,289 of 8,224
Hi MrWalkman, I used the StockRevert made for DMP-WM1 FE. Under System Software on the Unit Info screen it shows "3.02 2016 - 2021 Sony Corporation" and beneath that it shows "DMP-WM1 FE (Classic) Firmware mod by MrWalkman". Is that correct?

It shouldn't say DMP-WM1 FE anymore.

Download this archive with previous StockRevert packages, and use the one for FE.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,291 of 8,224
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5,292 of 8,224
It shouldn't say DMP-WM1 FE anymore.

Download this archive with previous StockRevert packages, and use the one for FE.
Thank you! Downloaded the archive and tried again. The same issue occurred when running the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 FE and then the StockRevert EXT Tuning, so I decided to run the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 FEv2 just to see if it would work (followed by the StockRevert EXT Tuning) and it now appears as if my unit is back to stock based on the Unit Info screen. Thank you again. Excited to try the new versions now! And cheers to some beers for you (just donated)!

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5,293 of 8,224
With these latest firmwares/tunings there are an overwhelming choice of combinations, I'm curious how others are making a choice?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #5,295 of 8,224
Thank you Mr Walkman for your latest firmaware.

I thought I had encountered a problem when activating the Bluetooth Receiver mode (WM1A coupled in LDAC with my Android 10 phone) because as soon as I used the Remote, I got a choppy sound. After changing several settings in the dawn_settings.txt file without getting any improvement, I finally went back to Firmware Stock and found ... that I had the same problem in LDAC (no problem with the SBC CODEC).

I had never paid attention to this problem as I rarely use the Remote, and never with the Bluetooth Receiver mode enabled. Finally, I reinstalled dawn V2. As some have already reported here, I have no problem with v2 Plus mode activated, neither with BT Receiver mode, nor with USB DAC mode, even with the screen off. And so I leave the Remote in a drawer when I use BT Receiver mode.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back