Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #5,236 of 8,242
gosh i feel like a kid in a candy store im overwhelmed by the amount of choices i can make!!!! You are spoiling us to no end @MrWalkman and im loving every second of this!

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #5,237 of 8,242
redacted. Found the settings

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #5,238 of 8,242
@MrWalkman Thank you so much for your incredible work on these new Dawn v2 and Midnight v2 firmware!! I've donated a beer.

I'm currently enjoying Dawn v2 (FEv2 external turning). Settings: Region MX3, Plus v2, Different DAC initialization mode.

I briefly tried Midnight v2 (Project Z external tuning; same settings as above). The sound was too warm for me. I'm using the Sennheiser IE900.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #5,239 of 8,242
Thank you MrWalkman for contuining to develop what is already an amazing custom platform. I will contribute a beer (or two) your way in the near future once my personal situation improves.

Here are my subjective impressions of the Midnight tuning (NW-WM1Z, XBA-A3 with Sony Kimber):

In general coming from the previous version of Midnight. the new Midnight presentation feels more engaging and forward than the last. It does sound a little less airy as a result, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2a) Midnight (v1) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Tight clean bass

2a) Midnight (v2) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Tight clean bass
- Cleaner imaging and positional cues (crispy details)
- Soundstage width and depth feel similar in dimensions

2a) Midnight (v2) - Alternative DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain <----- I like this one the most
- Slightly relaxed bass, thicker
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Metallic feeling to the details (adds an interesting tangible quality to things like guitars and percussion)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2b) Project Z (v1) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Thicker bass
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Slower transients

2b) Project Z (v2) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Wider soundstage
- More accurate imaging cues
- Holographic feel
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Slower transients
- Bass less bloomy, but still thick

2b) Project Z (v2) - Alternative DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Wider soundstage, less depth than above
- Holographic feel
- More treble bite than above
- Slower transients
- Less forward vocals (in a good way)
- Thick bass that doesn't bleed into higher frequencies

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #5,240 of 8,242
@MrWalkman Thank you so much for your incredible work on these new Dawn v2 and Midnight v2 firmware!! I've donated a beer.

I'm currently enjoying Dawn v2 (FEv2 external turning). Settings: Region MX3, Plus v2, Different DAC initialization mode.

I briefly tried Midnight v2 (Project Z external tuning; same settings as above). The sound was too warm for me. I'm using the Sennheiser IE900.

Thank you very much for the support!

I like Midnight very much with the Z7M2 :)

Thank you MrWalkman for contuining to develop what is already an amazing custom platform. I will contribute a beer (or two) your way in the near future once my personal situation improves.

Here are my subjective impressions of the Midnight tuning (NW-WM1Z, XBA-A3 with Sony Kimber):

In general coming from the previous version of Midnight. the new Midnight presentation feels more engaging and forward than the last. It does sound a little less airy as a result, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2a) Midnight (v1) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Tight clean bass

2a) Midnight (v2) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Tight clean bass
- Cleaner imaging and positional cues (crispy details)
- Soundstage width and depth feel similar in dimensions

2a) Midnight (v2) - Alternative DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Slightly relaxed bass, thicker
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Metallic feeling to the details (adds an interesting tangible quality to things like guitars and percussion)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2b) Project Z (v1) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Thicker bass
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Slower transients

2b) Project Z (v2) - Normal DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Wider soundstage
- Holographic feel
- Relaxed sound
- Reduced treble bite
- Slower transients
- Bass less bloomy, but still thick

2b) Project Z (v2) - Alternative DAC Initialisation, Normal Gain
- Wider soundstage, less depth than above
- Holographic feel
- More treble bite than above
- Slower transients
- Less forward vocals (in a good way)
- Thick bass that doesn't bleed into higher frequencies

Nice description! I'm curious what you think about the Plus v2 mode sound :)

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #5,241 of 8,242
MrWalkman,
It looks like I am doing something wrong.

I installed the firmware and tuning one by one, waiting for the correct completion scale.
Then I went to the CFW folder in the player's internal memory. Edited the values in the "midnight_settings.txt" file that matches my firmware.
For example, in this way for one of the points:

# [HOME SCREEN ICONS COLOR]
#
# Make the icons on the Home screen have different colors.
#
# Available options:
# 0 for DEFAULT, 1 for PEACH (# FFD2B0), 2 for RED (# FF6757),
# 3 for BLUE (# B1CFE5), 4 for GREEN (# AED1B3)
#
# Type the chosen color after the equal sign.
# For example: COL = 2
# Default is [0].

COL = 3

After that, I closed the editor and saved the changes.
Disconnected the drive and waited for the library update.
Turned off and on the player.

After that, I still don't see any changes. The color of the icons remains the same (white by default) and the selected "PLUS MODE VERSION" mode also remains in normal mode when I check in settings -> player info. Although I changed the figure to 2.
The file "midnight_settings.txt" itself saved the changes after restarting the player.
The log file does not show changes.
What am I doing wrong?

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #5,242 of 8,242

It should be COL=3, without those spaces.

Check the boot_log.txt file to see what happens. If there are those spaces, then the setting is not being read correctli'm not sure where the spaces came from.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #5,243 of 8,242
It should be COL=3, without those spaces.

Check the boot_log.txt file to see what happens. If there are those spaces, then the setting is not being read correctli'm not sure where the spaces came from.
Yes that's right. It's just that the spaces were added by the translator when I was editing the text for my post.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #5,245 of 8,242
Yes that's right. It's just that the spaces were added by the translator when I was editing the text for my post.

If there are no spaces, then check the boot_log.txt file to see what happens.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #5,246 of 8,242
After the upgrade the sound only coming from the left ear. Did I do something wrong :frowning2:

I didn't hear of something like this happening before. Try reverting to stock and install again.

Of course, also check the channel balance setting on your player.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #5,250 of 8,242
What does the different DAC mode does?
I won't exactly go into details. Basically in the different mode some things are loaded differently during the DAC's initialization.

If you have headphones plugged in while the player starts, at some point during the boot animation the background hiss starts. That's when the DAC gets initialized and this setting apply.

I'd feel more comfortable letting you try this option and see for yourself if you like what you hear or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back