Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,711 of 8,224
how do you compare SR25 vs WM1A on Mr.Walkman's FW? Both the sound and the daily usage?
Very favourably WM1A on DMP-WM FEv2 is fuller, SR25 is sweeter in the mids and and has twice the power on balanced, so really packs a punch. Stock FW no contest the SR25 easily wins.

The Sony is clearly the more flexible standalone player thanks to region switching & CFW, nor have I been a fan of A&K frequently feeling that they were trying too hard to impress on a technical level that they often forgot about musicality. The SR25 delivers a real sense of musicality, smoothly without fuss and although it's Open Android 9 OS is heavily locked down it does all one expects of a modern DAP. TBH I'm fine with that as the very last thing I want is another Google data acquisition device to manage.

What I like about the SR25 is that it's so beautifully balanced as a DAP, great; SQ, battery life, size, weight, features. also for me I lucked out with a 128GB region specific model. In many respects the SR25 wins as it's more versatile in a smaller package and can drive IEM's & HP's to a higher level then the WM1A which limited by it's weak power output.

Q-6

May 22, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #4,713 of 8,224
In your shoes A&K SR25 springs to mind, double the power of the WM1A and sweet in the middle :sunglasses: 1A & LP6K used and well loved is the way to go. SR25 is a very under estimated DAP, listen and you'll know why...

Q-6
Thanks, i have the possibility to borrow it from a very close person (i heard it once and i really liked it). Nevertheless, not being completely discarded, the sr25 is not in my first list because of not having the bluetooth receiver function, which i use constantly to connect my projector to my speakers (yes, i can buy a bluetooth receiver, but i've found really useful having it all in the same package as i move very frequently the projector to different places). Anyway you've encouraged to me to retry it and see if love appears... How do both, wm1a and sr25, compare to the zx300, by the way? I've seen that you have the three of them. Will they be a big upgrade?

In any case i continue interested in comparisons between wm1a with mr.walkman's mods and lotoo paw 6000. Having more power is a big temptation, but now i'm used to the Sony and despite the poor portability it looks like te most natural movement, but i'd like to know if Mr.Walkman's work has reduced the distance in sound between both....

May 23, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #4,715 of 8,224
Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,717 of 8,224
DMP-WM FEv2 has a sharper leading edge to the notes than Dawn leading to more attack/bite across the range, which for me presents a more realistic rendition of music. The DMP-Z1 focussed FEv2 delivers the bass as intended, clean & deep without overly boosting. FEv2 on region E results in a very detailed, powerful sound signature with a strong sense of presence and instrument separation.

Midnight, Project Z adds more colour to the bass regions, treble is generally softer/dialled back in comparison to FEv2, especially in the case of region J presenting average bass, a solid midrange & further accentuating the softer treble of Midnight etc. Region E presents a stronger sub bass and some elevation in the mid's through the treble.

Dawn, Midnight & Project Z for me all tended to have a slight reverb issue on Plus mode with some albums (late 70's/early 80's rock), FEv2 plays cleanly on both Classic & Plus. Midnight & Project Z can also feel overly expanded at times in the vocals, almost like a smearing effect. Potentially as the music was never recorded with such an expanded sound stage in mind.

Personal taste and headgear are big factors as is acclimation. If any are considering the switch of region and or CFW they should also give the set up some time to adjust to the new sounds signature.

Q-6
I have tried this mod DMP-WM FEv2 plus and classic mod about more or less 6 hours on J region 3.02 nw-wm1z, I think it still feels bright on 3.02 due to more mid focus but is very good on acoustic, jazz, classic, pop, relative to slow tempo music, but when to speed metal, rock, trance, anisong the song with more speed bpm is not good for this setup, I think I will downgrade to 3.01 let see, are you have a suggestion what mod and version that are save for most all genre/all around? what version of sony firmware are you?

May 23, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #4,718 of 8,224
I just find the firmware 1.01, but not the first one like 1.00 is there is someone who has version 1.00? But the version from 1.00 is so lag, which is the first version that resolves the lagging problem for scrolling files? I like to store all complete firmware versions for archives and, more importantly, change the sound signature.

FIRMWARE NW-WM.PNG

May 23, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,719 of 8,224
I just find the firmware 1.01, but not the first one like 1.00 is there is someone who has version 1.00? But the version from 1.00 is so lag, which is the first version that resolves the lagging problem for scrolling files? I like to store all complete firmware versions for archives and, more importantly, change the sound signature.

FIRMWARE NW-WM.PNG
you are missing
v0_92
v0_92_10
v0_94
v1_00
v1_10

May 23, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #4,720 of 8,224
May 23, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4,721 of 8,224
Thanks, i have the possibility to borrow it from a very close person (i heard it once and i really liked it). Nevertheless, not being completely discarded, the sr25 is not in my first list because of not having the bluetooth receiver function, which i use constantly to connect my projector to my speakers (yes, i can buy a bluetooth receiver, but i've found really useful having it all in the same package as i move very frequently the projector to different places). Anyway you've encouraged to me to retry it and see if love appears... How do both, wm1a and sr25, compare to the zx300, by the way? I've seen that you have the three of them. Will they be a big upgrade?

In any case i continue interested in comparisons between wm1a with mr.walkman's mods and lotoo paw 6000. Having more power is a big temptation, but now i'm used to the Sony and despite the poor portability it looks like te most natural movement, but i'd like to know if Mr.Walkman's work has reduced the distance in sound between both....
ZX 300 is a solid player, SR25 & WM1A are more powerful & technical. ZX300 is darker/warmer in nature. SR25 & WM1A are the next level up in a game of very much diminishing returns.

Q-6

May 23, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #4,722 of 8,224
I have tried this mod DMP-WM FEv2 plus and classic mod about more or less 6 hours on J region 3.02 nw-wm1z, I think it still feels bright on 3.02 due to more mid focus but is very good on acoustic, jazz, classic, pop, relative to slow tempo music, but when to speed metal, rock, trance, anisong the song with more speed bpm is not good for this setup, I think I will downgrade to 3.01 let see, are you have a suggestion what mod and version that are save for most all genre/all around? what version of sony firmware are you?
DMP-WM FEv2 which is based on 3.02. You could also try a different region for me FEv2 on region E is a good for all. I would wait a week or so personally as it does take time to adjust to the sound signature. Midnight is more bass focused with a softer treble, however may not play well with some vocals from my experience.

There are some mod's based on 3.01 nor do I remember any with the Plus mode, however you'll need to source by asking on the forum.

Q-6

May 24, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #4,725 of 8,224
I have trouble downgrading is there any tutorial with a picture for downgrade the official firmware?:sweat_smile::sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back