Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #4,441 of 8,216
I think the best is DMP-WM1 FEv2, although I'd really need to compare directly with a the DMP-Z1.

Q-6
I will look into it. Thank you!

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #4,443 of 8,216
Thanks for the support! :beers:

A50Z will not be updated anymore. There will be only Dawn/Midnight coming next, and sometimes in the future I plan on revisiting the ZX300-based mods.

Is there an alternative to the .bat files on Windows, that you could simply double-click on any Mac OS system and they would run?

If yes, maybe you could create a script to launch the update tool, and then change the .dmg image to launch the script instead of the update tool - this way it's like the tool is launched from the Terminal.

Of course, it would also be nice to figure out what the heck they're doing that you can't simply replace the XML/UPG as you can do in Windows.

I would love to have a look at it, but I don't have a Mac OS system.

Nice! There's plenty of room in the band, welcome! :D

Hello - is it still possible to hope to see Dawn/Midnight firmware for A55 models in the future or A50Z will be the last one? Tones of respect to you! Thx

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,444 of 8,216
Is @MrWalkman around on the site lately ??
As I understand it he is in the process og moving country so not on much atm.
Hello - is it still possible to hope to see Dawn/Midnight firmware for A55 models in the future or A50Z will be the last one? Tones of respect to you! Thx
Possibly but it may be a while before anything new arrives as he needs to complete his move

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #4,446 of 8,216
however, returning to the discourse of the various regions, I am of the idea that there is not one better than the other, because each has its own peculiarity.
I can never find the right compromise; E region has a separation of the instruments and a three-dimensionality superior to all,but it is really crisp, TW has a softer sound and the find it in your face, however with a great separation, but not the resolution that has U or CN, while J is the most exciting.
Now I'm on TW, turning up the equalizer so that I can keep the low gain, because some tracks are recorded at low volume, and even remastering them can't do miracles
Well you have to consider many other DAP's where such possibilities are not present nor likely ever will be. For myself E & J the latter can get a little dull at times, the former less forgiving of hardware & mastering. MX3 could be another, however the mid's are too far back for my liking. U & CN being the kings of resolution that can be tiresome for prolonged sessions.

Q-6

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #4,447 of 8,216
Well you have to consider many other DAP's where such possibilities are not present nor likely ever will be. For myself E & J the latter can get a little dull at times, the former less forgiving of hardware & mastering. MX3 could be another, however the mid's are too far back for my liking. U & CN being the kings of resolution that can be tiresome for prolonged sessions.

Q-6
no in fact no thought of changing dap, because we are talking about top in terms of portability, warm and enveloping pig, phenomenal battery life, possibility of making software and hardware changes, the only real flaw is the integrated amplifier ecje is a bit weak..
I managed to find a compromise between resolution and listening pleasure by following your advice, I admit that trying f.e v2 is definitely less stressful than Midnight and with a wider soundstage.
I go set U region, set low gain and raised all frequencies to +7 via the equalizer; in doing so I have enough amplification without sacrificing sound quality, up to +7 the frequencies remain almost unchanged

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #4,449 of 8,216
no in fact no thought of changing dap, because we are talking about top in terms of portability, warm and enveloping pig, phenomenal battery life, possibility of making software and hardware changes, the only real flaw is the integrated amplifier ecje is a bit weak..
I managed to find a compromise between resolution and listening pleasure by following your advice, I admit that trying f.e v2 is definitely less stressful than Midnight and with a wider soundstage.
I go set U region, set low gain and raised all frequencies to +7 via the equalizer; in doing so I have enough amplification without sacrificing sound quality, up to +7 the frequencies remain almost unchanged
The flexibility of the WM1A/Z is unparalleled due to the ability to switch regions and now custom firmware. For a standalone player WM1A/Z remains to be a very solid choice for many, however as you say the output power is on the weak side. I have other DAP's where the increased power delivery is clearly apparent.

Q-6

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #4,454 of 8,216
I want to revert to stock. Can I download a stock FW from Sony and flash it or I have to use the provided StockRevert file?
Ideally use the stock revert in the custom firmware package. Failing which stock firmware from Sony will work too. But it’s always better the run the included stock revert and then if you want, although you don’t have to, run the Sony stock firmware again.

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,455 of 8,216
Ideally use the stock revert in the custom firmware package. Failing which stock firmware from Sony will work too. But it’s always better the run the included stock revert and then if you want, although you don’t have to, run the Sony stock firmware again.
Actually my understanding is that you must do the correct revert first to get the hw region/model set correct. If not the stock fw installation will fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back