Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #4,216 of 8,221
By the way, I've managed to get hold of the WM1A/Z service manual, updated in 2018.

It seems that there is a way to enter the test mode.

1. Go to the Unit information screen
2. Set the Hold button in the On position
3. Press VOL+ for 5 times, then press VOL- for 5 times
4. Press Rewind (<<) for 3 times, press Play/Pause for 1 time, then press Forward (>>) for 3 times
5. Set the Hold button in the Off position

The player should restart automatically into the test mode. In the test mode you can basically test things, but you cannot change the region, for example, so this is if you really want to test something hardware related, or just if you are curious.

In the test mode you can use Play/Pause as Enter, Rewind (<<) and Forward (>>) or VOL+/VOL- to select options, and the Hold button as a "Back" button.

Attachments

• NW-WM1_service_manual.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #4,217 of 8,221
By the way, I've managed to get hold of the WM1A/Z service manual, updated in 2018.

It seems that there is a way to enter the test mode.

1. Go to the Unit information screen
2. Set the Hold button in the On position
3. Press VOL+ for 5 times, then press VOL- for 5 times
4. Press Rewind (<<) for 3 times, press Play/Pause for 1 time, then press Forward (>>) for 3 times
5. Set the Hold button in the Off position

The player should restart automatically into the test mode. In the test mode you can basically test things, but you cannot change the region, for example, so this is if you really want to test something hardware related, or just if you are curious.

In the test mode you can use Play/Pause as Enter, Rewind (<<) and Forward (>>) or VOL+/VOL- to select options, and the Hold button as a "Back" button.
would be nice to unlock that hidden 128gb on the WM-1A, unless it is false reporting as 256gb

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,218 of 8,221
would be nice to unlock that hidden 128gb on the WM-1A, unless it is false reporting as 256gb

I thought of this, and I've looked into it. There is no hidden 128GB unfortunately.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,219 of 8,221
I really appreciate the support! That's quite some money, and I really advise you to keep hold of it in these times... I'll most probably get a job pretty soon, and I'll be really ok with the A45/A55, so it's not really the end of the world for me...

I had a Sony A6500 which I had to let go several months ago. In any case, I wasn't using it as much since I couldn't go out too much anymore.

Well, I would still be able to enjoy this nice sound on the smaller players. This would make me spend a little more time on bringing a stable installation of ZX300-based firmware to these players.
Still doing it :wink:

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,224 of 8,221
Mate, I hate to imagine you let go off the wm1a that has brought so much joy to the Walkman community, I'm sure there are enough of us to stop that from happening.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #4,228 of 8,221
Here u go, best guide on the net, credit to the writer who compiled the info:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/nbba...ion-firmware-guide-for-nbba/1357486074627941/

Technically, the Japan region version has no volume capping, which was placed on Europe version cause of their EU laws. So after I did change my version to Japanese region, yeah it got louder.
The open_cmd_here .bat tool seems to be in accessible when i try to get it. it just leads to a page saying call cmd, where literally nothing happens. My idea is im clearly doing something wrong but idk what.

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #4,229 of 8,221
With all my thanks and my thoughts MrWalkman ! I hope our contributions will help you :raised_hands:

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,230 of 8,221
The open_cmd_here .bat tool seems to be in accessible when i try to get it. it just leads to a page saying call cmd, where literally nothing happens. My idea is im clearly doing something wrong but idk what.
E1E2C651-2A99-4502-976A-AD17BDB650B2.jpeg

The first line displays the current region, the second line changes to J and turns volume cap off. Replace D: with whatever drive letter the internal storage has on your pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back