Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #4,066 of 8,223
Wow didn't know WalkmanOS had a firmware scene!

I tried researching during the years for stuff like this but nothing came up, looks like my Google skills needs refinement :)

@MrWalkman I wonder if you could give us some technical infos regarding how you mod WalkmanOS firmware, last time I checked there was some nasty encryption involved.

This is just nerd curiosity though, don't want to start a competition :p
He has previously stated that he does not want to go into details with how and what

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #4,067 of 8,223
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #4,068 of 8,223
Wow didn't know WalkmanOS had a firmware scene!

I tried researching during the years for stuff like this but nothing came up, looks like my Google skills needs refinement :)

@MrWalkman I wonder if you could give us some technical infos regarding how you mod WalkmanOS firmware, last time I checked there was some nasty encryption involved.

This is just nerd curiosity though, don't want to start a competition :p

The info you seek can be found if you look in the correct places, but as stated by @MrWalkman and repeated by others... that information won't be found here

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #4,069 of 8,223
Is there a simple guide to changing region? And, will changing region change the language? I'm nervous to change to region J and then not be able to read Japanese.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,070 of 8,223
Is there a simple guide to changing region? And, will changing region change the language? I'm nervous to change to region J and then not be able to read Japanese.
The language will not change unless you do a factory reset

Verify Current Region
scsitool-nwz-v27.exe E: dest_tool get

Change to Japan region
scsitool-nwz-v27.exe E: dest_tool set J off

Note the drive E: may differ depending on the computers setup

Q-6

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,071 of 8,223
Just follow the instructions on the rockbox site. Changing region does not change language, but don’t do a factory reset while in J region as you will then be in Japanese language with no option to change language. And don’t do a factory reset after changing region, just a restart

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,072 of 8,223
You re a simple guide to changing region? And, will changing region change the language? I'm nervous to change to region J and then not be able to read Japanese.
You can check Rockbox page :
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

You will be fine with J region as long as you don't do a "Factory Reset".
But you can reboot or do a simple "Reset Settings", I am still in french language despite being in J region and having done several "reset settings" for clean firmware install.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,073 of 8,223
Even if a factory reset is done when set to J and the player is in single language Japanese, you only need to change the region to one with Multilanguage, switch to the language of choice and revert back to J region. The good with the Walkman's is that none of the changes are permanent, so you can always get back to where you want to be.

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,074 of 8,223
You can check Rockbox page :
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

You will be fine with J region as long as you don't do a "Factory Reset".
But you can reboot or do a simple "Reset Settings", I am still in french language despite being in J region and having done several "reset settings" for clean firmware install.
You only need to do a reboot to get the new configuration.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,075 of 8,223
Another happy user of Midnight (classic, at the moment). My pair of IER-Z1R has never been heard so well and with such authority. Thank you again for all your work, @MrWalkman !

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #4,076 of 8,223
The strange part was I liked Midnight at first then moved to Plus?

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4,077 of 8,223
Add thousand hours that were lost due to early firmwqre bugs that caused machine to reboot. 10K hours
image.jpg

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #4,078 of 8,223
The strange part was I liked Midnight at first then moved to Plus?
As recordings and types of music vary so much I find that I appreciate different firmwares depending on what I'm listening to.
Ultimately I want to just find one and stay with it so I have a constant sound (tuning) but through literally trial and error, and depending on what I'm listening to I not been able to find one yet.
The Midnights were a bit warm for me and my iems so originally I liked Dawn but found that it was a tad bright overall although it was great with classical and some live recordings. I usually favoured the plus tunings but by 'error' I have reinstalled firmwares and forgot that it defaults to the classic version and have found that the classic was also enjoyable.
I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point.

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4,079 of 8,223
As recordings and types of music vary so much I find that I appreciate different firmwares depending on what I'm listening to.
Ultimately I want to just find one and stay with it so I have a constant sound (tuning) but through literally trial and error, and depending on what I'm listening to I not been able to find one yet.
The Midnights were a bit warm for me and my iems so originally I liked Dawn but found that it was a tad bright overall although it was great with classical and some live recordings. I usually favoured the plus tunings but by 'error' I have reinstalled firmwares and forgot that it defaults to the classic version and have found that the classic was also enjoyable.
I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point.
I think is time for sony to release a sucessor walkman with DAC Filters

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4,080 of 8,223
I have my WM1A for a few days only. I changed the region to uncap it and installed Midnight from MrWalkman but still I have to push the volume to almost the max (with HG on) to drive my headphones or IEMS. Is it normal or am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back