Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 28, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #4,036 of 8,232
I have only one name/author, if you want the highest of mind****s in 'sci-fi' books (actually guy is more than just sci-fi...)

Philip K. Dick

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #4,037 of 8,232
Easy :)
Display off, Volume+ ⇒ Volume ⇒ Power (long press Until display on)

1 - Display Off
2 - Press Volume + and release
3 - Press Volume - and release
4 - Press Power (long press Until display on)

Q-6

Works with display on as well, at least for me :D

Hello
Does anyone care to bring me up to date? The last I looked at custom firmware was when Mr. Walkman started posting on the now discontinued WM1Z/A thread. Fast forward and I now find this 269 page (!) thread. I have skimmed a number of pages but perhaps someone can update me. I have owned the WM1Z since release and (infrequently) use it with my Utopia headphones w/ Kimber Axios cables. My reading of the new Midnight firmware seems to indicate it is more geared to bringing the WM1A closer to the 1Z (which I already own). Any advantages for WM1Z owners to try out this firmware?

PS my 1Z was bought from the UK and shipped to me in the States. I used Rockbox to change region and remove the volume lock. Am I correct in assuming that at a bare minimum I should go back in and change the region to J for improved sound? I assume the English language menu’s will remain intact.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure that Midnight or Dawn can easily bring a 1A over a stock 1Z.

Check out this post to understand this better: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16155358

Project Z mentioned there has now become "Midnight", but Dawn (formerly "DMP-WM1 FE") works in a similar way, just with a different sound signature as a result.

Long story short, both these devices are capable of more than how they're performing with the stock firmware, and the biggest difference between 1A and 1Z is brought by software, and not by hardware.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #4,039 of 8,232
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #4,040 of 8,232
Works with display on as well, at least for me :D

I'm pretty sure that Midnight or Dawn can easily bring a 1A over a stock 1Z.

Check out this post to understand this better: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16155358

Project Z mentioned there has now become "Midnight", but Dawn (formerly "DMP-WM1 FE") works in a similar way, just with a different sound signature as a result.

Long story short, both these devices are capable of more than how they're performing with the stock firmware, and the biggest difference between 1A and 1Z is brought by software, and not by hardware.
That post shows them the same with aftermarket software. The 1A and 1Z are still very different with the same software. Both with Midnight and J region.

EC0A6197-4751-4A97-9AE1-0DCDED4A3EB3.png

Not true.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #4,041 of 8,232
That post shows them the same with aftermarket software. The 1A and 1Z are still very different with the same software. Both with Midnight and J region.

That difference is about the software, as there is still the hardware which brings some difference, thing which is also mentioned in that post.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4,042 of 8,232
Oh, ok. But it is very close now!
AEA46A13-33D6-4016-A15F-FC61AF427EA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #4,043 of 8,232
I tried U with Dawn 18/02, however prefer E as it adds more energy/presence to the music, also U does not have the BT remote feature which I'd prefer to retain, although not essential. U I find to be a touch clinical and can be wearing as resolves to a higher level, E has a slightly stronger sub bass, pushes sooner & harder in the treble, however has a slight veil to take the edge off which to me gels well with Dawn 18/02

For all it's certainly worth exploring the regions as they do have their own nuance's that can help to fine tune the CFW to your individua taste.

Q-6
Well, what do I know? That is even better (to me)! This is why we hang out here, I guess. I did use E when I removed the volume cap on this EU model, but that was around page 50 on the original Sony Walkman tread (& still not OK with it being closed). Many things have since then changed and we all move on and now we have a clearly improved software! This is what I like about this tread, you can always find a way! 🙏🏻

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #4,044 of 8,232
never mind

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #4,045 of 8,232
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,046 of 8,232
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a better live album that Simone Felice’s “Live from a lovely place”, sounds totally sublime on the 1A with Midnight Plus…

I’m digging this acoustic album, plenty of space and reverb, can envisage the room it was recorded in very easily.

if anyone has heard this, or gives it a try, if you can recommend any similar albums / composition, I’ll be all ears.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,047 of 8,232
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a better live album that Simone Felice’s “Live from a lovely place”, sounds totally sublime on the 1A with Midnight Plus…

I’m digging this acoustic album, plenty of space and reverb, can envisage the room it was recorded in very easily.

if anyone has heard this, or gives it a try, if you can recommend any similar albums / composition, I’ll be all ears.
Check out Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. It's "considered by many to be one of the best live acoustic guitar albums ever released." I have the SACD that I ripped and it's amazing on the 1A with Midnight Plus.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #4,048 of 8,232
Check out Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. It's "considered by many to be one of the best live acoustic guitar albums ever released." I have the SACD that I ripped and it's amazing on the 1A with Midnight Plus.
And obviously Jazz at the Pawnshop (Jazz på Stampen)

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #4,049 of 8,232

Another 2 brilliant accoustic live albums

898A2286-5FC6-4A44-B16A-583C2407FBEB.jpeg
F8ACBCD8-871D-4589-84A3-3D347AF9464F.jpeg

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4,050 of 8,232
I've been on DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) and changed region to U over the weekend, this is the best I've heard it so far and sticking with for at least a week or so. I'm conscious also with my device, its still going through burn-in, just hit 90 hours. I've been switching between the DUNU ZEN and SA6, both sound absolutely stunning. As a Sony fan, I've now ordered a set of the IER-M9, can't wait to get my hands on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back