Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,008 of 8,224
Installed FEv2 to do few comparison against midnight+ and now not able to move back to midnight+. Felt that bite is better on FEv2. Tried multiple IEMs like QDC 8sh, Fearless S8F with silver and OCC litz copper cables but results were same.
Region is set to J on WM1A.
Try switching to Region E that will bring the energy and the initial bite of the notes.

Q-6

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,009 of 8,224
Try switching to Region E that will bring the energy and the initial bite of the notes.

Q-6
I have Midnight loaded (in reg.J) and found it a little bit "Hazy-Bassy-Wooly" (now there's a description never used before) and could not get around it. Tried another cable and that helped (from DHC Symbiote Elite 19, a resolution monster, to DHC Clone Silver). But still not satisfied. Out of pure curiosity I've changed region to U and NOW all the good things, that I kept reading here, came out in front of me. Super detailed, very precise placement of instruments and a never heard before complete decription of the music. It's now really difficult to put away now and looking forward everyday to have this gift from Mr.Walkman in my life. As always, thank you! :)

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #4,010 of 8,224
Even though these players don't have that exact "DSD Remastering Engine" function that the DMP-Z1 has, I guess we could still say that we have kind of our own remastering engine, that is always turned on :D

As some people really like FEv2 or Project Z, I think I can make Dawn and Midnight get the FEv2 or Project Z sound. It should come soon.

I've been also testing an idea for the "Plus" mode, that should be a bit less of what it is now, with the hope that it will be better. It should arrive separately from the current Dawn/Midnight, so I'm not just gonna update them, for those of us who like the current "Plus" mode of these two firmware variants.

Stay Tuned

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,011 of 8,224
Even though these players don't have that exact "DSD Remastering Engine" function that the DMP-Z1 has, I guess we could still say that we have kind of our own remastering engine, that is always turned on :D

As some people really like FEv2 or Project Z, I think I can make Dawn and Midnight get the FEv2 or Project Z sound. It should come soon.

I've been also testing an idea for the "Plus" mode, that should be a bit less of what it is now, with the hope that it will be better. It should arrive separately from the current Dawn/Midnight, so I'm not just gonna update them, for those of us who like the current "Plus" mode of these two firmware variants.

Stay Tuned
Thank you so much for your great & awesome work Mr. Walkman!!! I love the Project Z sound and have tried Midnight for a while, but it just could not replace the sound characteristics of the Project Z that I love. So, at the end I switched back to Project Z. I am glad to hear that you will working on improving Midnight to base more on Project Z sound. This is really a welcome news for me! Thank you Mr. Walkman!

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4,012 of 8,224
I have Midnight loaded (in reg.J) and found it a little bit "Hazy-Bassy-Wooly" (now there's a description never used before) and could not get around it. Tried another cable and that helped (from DHC Symbiote Elite 19, a resolution monster, to DHC Clone Silver). But still not satisfied. Out of pure curiosity I've changed region to U and NOW all the good things, that I kept reading here, came out in front of me. Super detailed, very precise placement of instruments and a never heard before complete decription of the music. It's now really difficult to put away now and looking forward everyday to have this gift from Mr.Walkman in my life. As always, thank you! :)
I tried U with Dawn 18/02, however prefer E as it adds more energy/presence to the music, also U does not have the BT remote feature which I'd prefer to retain, although not essential. U I find to be a touch clinical and can be wearing as resolves to a higher level, E has a slightly stronger sub bass, pushes sooner & harder in the treble, however has a slight veil to take the edge off which to me gels well with Dawn 18/02

For all it's certainly worth exploring the regions as they do have their own nuance's that can help to fine tune the CFW to your individua taste.

Q-6

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #4,013 of 8,224
Just truly amazing. The best ever! Midnight in 1Z with Nobel K-10 Encore.
screenshot_20160101_003725015.png
screenshot_20160101_003642492.png
screenshot_20160101_003447143.png
screenshot_20160101_003540603.png

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #4,014 of 8,224
Feb 27, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #4,015 of 8,224
No, this is my first time with ProjectZ/Midnight....love how the mid-range is. I did try Dawn/FE.
Did you try ProjectZ before that ?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #4,017 of 8,224
Weird. I installed Midnight on my WM1A and now I can't revert to stock. Always asking to connect the device. I tried a factory reset but doesn't change a thing. The device still appears as a WM1Z. Any help MrWalkman? Thanks :)
[SOLVED] I was not using the good revert tool.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #4,018 of 8,224
Weird. I installed Midnight on my WM1A and now I can't revert to stock. Always asking to connect the device. I tried a factory reset but doesn't change a thing. The device still appears as a WM1Z. Any help MrWalkman? Thanks :)

Make sure you're trying to use the Midnight stock revert, and not any previous one.

And no, factory resets won't do anything.

I’ve still never actually worked out how to do screenshots lol

Press VOL+, then VOL-, and then hold POWER until the shutdown popup shows up.

You have to press VOL+, and then stop pressing it, followed by VOL-, and so on.

Thank you so much for your great & awesome work Mr. Walkman!!! I love the Project Z sound and have tried Midnight for a while, but it just could not replace the sound characteristics of the Project Z that I love. So, at the end I switched back to Project Z. I am glad to hear that you will working on improving Midnight to base more on Project Z sound. This is really a welcome news for me! Thank you Mr. Walkman!

It's not actually improving Midnight to have more of the Project Z sound. It will just be the Project Z sound over an already installed Midnight.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #4,019 of 8,224

Have you followed the instructions using the 2 part revert that comes with the Midnight fw ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back