Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,766 of 8,223
Sounds very interesting! Been shifting between FEv2 & Project Z like mad. Just couldn’t make my mind up! Project Z too “dark/bassy”, FEv2 almost there but ever so in need of a little bass. But sticking to FEv2 for the resolution and great entertainment! Still very appreciated about your effort Mr.Walkman 🙏🏻
WoW!!!!!! For now! FEv2 now with the extra spicy low end! Was almost ready to turn in! Will be back with further impressions, for sure! But for now, simply WOW! (Heart) #Mr.Walkman

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,767 of 8,223
If you thought FEv2 was it... or Project Z was it... wait until this next surprise :)
Been lucky to test run this new update... As written to @MrWalkman in a private message, this is like discovering music I have known for a while yet again finding things I did not notice and enjoying this new experience much. The wait will be worth it.
Yes, I’m very much in the Project Z camp, and the updated fw tested does something to the vocals (in plus mode) that I can’t quite describe, even more “there” than we’ve heard up to now.
Sounds very interesting! Been shifting between FEv2 & Project Z like mad. Just couldn’t make my mind up! Project Z too “dark/bassy”, FEv2 almost there but ever so in need of a little bass. But sticking to FEv2 for the resolution and great entertainment! Still very appreciated about your effort Mr.Walkman 🙏🏻
It is funny, I’m using Z with midrange centric IEMs and FiiO’s vocal eartips, and it sounds great to me, better than the FE variants, just goes to show that everyone’s sense of hearing is as varied as their music collection!

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #3,768 of 8,223
Yes, I’m very much in the Project Z camp, and the updated fw tested does something to the vocals (in plus mode) that I can’t quite describe, even more “there” than we’ve heard up to now.

It is funny, I’m using Z with midrange centric IEMs and FiiO’s vocal eartips, and it sounds great to me, better than the FE variants, just goes to show that everyone’s sense of hearing is as varied as their music collection!
Sound like the new FW is a marriage between FE2/+ and Project z/+

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #3,769 of 8,223
Sound like the new FW is a marriage between FE2/+ and Project z/+

Only that it's an update for both firmwares, bringing clarity, smoothness and a fuller sound for both of them :)

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #3,770 of 8,223
My player auto turned off and upon restarting I noticed it defaults to the classic, which I assume is due to the hold button setting?

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #3,771 of 8,223
My player auto turned off and upon restarting I noticed it defaults to the classic, which I assume is due to the hold button setting?

Indeed, the boot mode is chosen at boot up every time, depending on the position of the button.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,772 of 8,223
Indeed, the boot mode is chosen at boot up every time, depending on the position of the button.
I'll have to keep an eye on that when I comparing, might think I'm on the +

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #3,773 of 8,223
The new update for fev2 and project z is the feather on the cap, the icing on the cake. Its a fine tune of sorts and adds warmth in a way that never muddies the mix. It opens up the soundstage yet a little and beefs up the entire mix by way of richness, fullness and cohesiveness. It sounds perfect to my ears. Every frequency is detailed yet full and bass is super deep and tight yet envelops you even more.Natural, Enjoyable and plain music heaven. I’m on the project z camp and i think this new update makes it an absolute, for me at least. It’s really amazing. @MrWalkman , oops you did it again mate!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #3,774 of 8,223
Only that it's an update for both firmwares, bringing clarity, smoothness and a fuller sound for both of them :)
Ahahaha, makes me happy Lol 😄

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #3,775 of 8,223
Project Z
Testing out a future update, which is gonna arrive soon, for an overall cleaner, more spacious, and fuller sound signature for Project Z/FEv2.

Just had a great time revisiting this live album, and out of the SE port!

It's gonna be out soon, so there's no point in testing it additionally at the moment, but thanks for everyone who might be interested :)

And no, I didn't forget about the A30. Just needed a little break :wink:

Can't wait for the new update! I really just discovered this a couple of weeks ago when searching for news on Sony DAPs, and the mods have brought noticeable sound upgrade to my WM1Z. Many thanks @MrWalkman !

Project Z seems to bring more energy to all spectrum of sound, probably esp. bass, to my (untrained) ears than FEv2 (all in Plus mode here), which is fun and addictive but can be a bit tiring after extended period of listening time. Really can't decide which one to settle on. :ksc75smile: This is probably just my listening preference, but I kind of wish the new Proj. Z update can provide a bit smoother sound though to address the listening fatigue issue a little.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #3,776 of 8,223
Project Z

Can't wait for the new update! I really just discovered this a couple of weeks ago when searching for news on Sony DAPs, and the mods have brought noticeable sound upgrade to my WM1Z. Many thanks @MrWalkman !

Project Z seems to bring more energy to all spectrum of sound, probably esp. bass, to my (untrained) ears than FEv2 (all in Plus mode here), which is fun and addictive but can be a bit tiring after extended period of listening time. Really can't decide which one to settle on. :ksc75smile: This is probably just my listening preference, but I kind of wish the new Proj. Z update can provide a bit smoother sound though to address the listening fatigue issue a little.
The new update does exactly what you’re asking for. It smoothens the sound overall and bass has slightly slower decay as well. I’m sure you’ll like it.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,777 of 8,223
Changed to Project Z plus and loving it.

Project Z plus adds weight to every note compared to FEv2 Plus.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #3,778 of 8,223
Testing out a future update, which is gonna arrive soon, for an overall cleaner, more spacious, and fuller sound signature for Project Z/FEv2.

Just had a great time revisiting this live album, and out of the SE port!

1613419981217.png

It's gonna be out soon, so there's no point in testing it additionally at the moment, but thanks for everyone who might be interested :)

And no, I didn't forget about the A30. Just needed a little break :wink:

As you know, i've been mind blowingly impressed with Project Z ( Plus. ) I have downloaded FEv2 but haven't tried that yet. What i wanted to ask was, do i have to revert back to the Sony firmware, before changing to FEv2 ( or your new forthcoming magic ) ? Or will it just overide, whatever you have on your device ?

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,779 of 8,223
As you know, i've been mind blowingly impressed with Project Z ( Plus. ) I have downloaded FEv2 but haven't tried that yet. What i wanted to ask was, do i have to revert back to the Sony firmware, before changing to FEv2 ( or your new forthcoming magic ) ? Or will it just overide, whatever you have on your device ?
Just run the stock revert and stock tuning revert files in the project z package before installing the FEv2 firmware followed by the tuning file for FEv2 as well.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,780 of 8,223
The new update for fev2 and project z is the feather on the cap, the icing on the cake. Its a fine tune of sorts and adds warmth in a way that never muddies the mix. It opens up the soundstage yet a little and beefs up the entire mix by way of richness, fullness and cohesiveness. It sounds perfect to my ears. Every frequency is detailed yet full and bass is super deep and tight yet envelops you even more.Naural, Enjoyable and plain music heaven. I’m on the project z camp and i think this new update makes it an absolute, for me at least. It’s really amazing. @MrWalkman , oops you did it again mate!

It's all together... Seperation, clarity, thickness, soundstage, warmth... now it sounds even better and more revealing. I started hearing more instruments on some recordings... crazy good stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back