Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,691 of 8,242
At entry- or mid-tier level, I compared Project Z mod on my ZX300 vs stock iBasso DX160. DX160 still better - soundstage, imaging & clarity. But it's a big step up, I must admit.
Hmm... so - the question there is what is the difference between the ZX300 and the 1A/Z variants. Going back one stage further, I know that the A55, as good as @MrWalkman has made it, isn't a patch on its bigger brother.
Sorry for your loss & hope you can find some comfort....it appears you can ? ( Early days. ) I've smiled everyday with joy, listening to Project Z Plus & so thankful that there's clever guys like @MrWalkman & others on this forum.
Thank you @Rob49 - your words are appreciated, and - you're right - a few songs have made me nearly crack (one NOT to listen to is Luther Vandross - Dance with my father!!) - outside of the music, I don't think it has fully hit me yet, that there is a hole in my life - it'll happen, and then - I'll realise that he'll always be with me.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,692 of 8,242
I’m very much in the Project Z camp, my dad died just over three weeks ago, so I’ve been doing a fair bit of reminiscing (it was him that got me into gear that was better than mainstream, but in the last few years of his life he ended up deaf in all but name, so he could never hear my various setups which has forever saddened me) - with a lot of music that he loved, lots of Roy Orbison, Eagles, Pink Floyd, 70’s Disco etc…

anyway, with moderately warm IEMs and Z, volume cranked all the way up (105, high gain) right now listening to Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here - there is so much warmth (which suits older
/ vinyl music down to the ground!), taut slam, great control, spaciousness to the sound, it almost brings a tear to my eye, knowing how much my dad would have loved to hear this how I am hearing it right now.

it might sound chintzy or smarmy, but to bring this level of happiness to me, @MrWalkman has gained my eternal respect for his craft when it has come to uplifting these Sony players - as have all of the pioneers of manipulating tuning / firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #3,693 of 8,242
Just try the project Z today,
Imo the Plus mode makes the mid more laid back, darker and it's not a good match with my K10.
The classic mode seems to have a better balance between sweetness and musicality.
But I feel the Z's classic mode somewhat sounds softer, less sparkle, and narrower than FEv2 plus?

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,694 of 8,242
Just try the project Z today,
Imo the Plus mode makes the mid more laid back, darker and it's not a good match with my K10.
The classic mode seems to have a better balance between sweetness and musicality.
But I feel the Z's classic mode somewhat sounds softer, less sparkle, and narrower than FEv2 plus?

The change between the Classic and Plus mode in each firmware should be similar, so it's definitely normal that Z's classic mode sounds in that way when compared to FEv2's Plus mode.

Project Z wasn't meant to be necessarily better than FEv2. It's all about synergy with your current gear. :)

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #3,695 of 8,242
Is FEv2 Plus the best to you so far?
Yes, however I wouldn't discount Project Z either. It all comes down to personal preference and to some extents the music of choice.

Q-6

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,696 of 8,242
Just to give my humble opinion on which firmware is the best. The answer to that question is , NONE!
I have tested hundreds of firmwares along the way and every one has had a characteristic of its own. Give or take a couple during my early testing stages that didn’t add any value at all, the majority of the latest firmware iterations hold true to its own. There’s no best firmware. Ever. However, there will always be a personal best. A personal best does not equal to it being the best firmware, as we all know, gear synergy and hearing are the primary deciding factors. So let’s enjoy the myriad of options that @MrWalkman has unselfishly laid out for all of us and pick at that buffet and choose your own favorite. Try them all and then decide on the one that you can really call your own personal best. Nothing is permanent either as there will be some new developments yet again. Enjoy it guys.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #3,697 of 8,242
Yes, however I wouldn't discount Project Z either. It all comes down to personal preference and to some extents the music of choice.

Q-6
Yup. Downloaded it and tried it out. As usual, a bit different and always something magical. Makes me appreciate the pocket power of the 1Z instead of the DMP-Z1. Once the dust settles for the pandemic, I’ll still aim for the DMP if it’s less than 400,000 yen. Meaning, most likely won’t happen

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #3,698 of 8,242
Yup. Downloaded it and tried it out. As usual, a bit different and always something magical. Makes me appreciate the pocket power of the 1Z instead of the DMP-Z1. Once the dust settles for the pandemic, I’ll still aim for the DMP if it’s less than 400,000 yen. Meaning, most likely won’t happen
The 1A/1Z certainly offer a great deal of flexibility versus the vast majority of other DAP's on the market Thx to @MrWalkman custom firmware. You might get lucky on a used DMP-Z1 as the pricing isn't so wild. Locally new on us around $7,300 USD, have seen cheaper, however as with many the pandemic has created it's own level of personal chaos making such purchases a non-priority whatsoever.

Q-6

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,699 of 8,242

Q-6
And your IEM/HP and cable combo.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #3,700 of 8,242
Not so much detail with me more staging can sound off with the WM1Z profile. The DMP-Z1 profile retains the warmer Sony House sound without the smearing of the vocals. I found that the 1Z profile to me tends to smear the vocals across the sound stage of some albums, Thin Lizzy being a prime example. Phil Lynott sounds off, vocals were thin in the centre stage with 1A on Chameleon 2.0. Not all mind as EDM, ambient etc. sounded spectacular on that CFW.

Same I far prefer warmer sources, equally I don't want too much colouration or expansion of the staging as that can detract from the original intention of the artist.

Q-6

While I was using the A50Z firmware on the NW-A55, I also found the spatial properties of certain music a bit off for my tastes, and currently prefer the DMP-A50 FEv2 (Classic). It was very interesting to try out though, and I am glad many other forum members are enjoying the project Z sound.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #3,701 of 8,242
Head almost exploded in delight with the DMP-A40 FEv2 Plus in an Armand Van Helden FLAC track with DSEE HX on and equalizer on Excited setting. My new KZ ZAX iem immediately burned in! Lol! I've never heard my A-45 with this much power and clarity. Absolutely impressed.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #3,702 of 8,242
What headphone jack are you guys using to take advantage of the DMP-WM1 FEv2 and Project Z firmware? The reason I ask is because I’ve installed the DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmware and the ext tuning but I only hear a slight improvement in sound quality.

I was wondering if you guys were using the balanced jack to get the better sound quality with the DMP-WM1 firmwares.

I have my Beyerdynamic T5P plugged into the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on my WM1A and listening to 320kbps MP3 files.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #3,703 of 8,242
What headphone jack are you guys using to take advantage of the DMP-WM1 FEv2 and Project Z firmware? The reason I ask is because I’ve installed the DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmware and the ext tuning but I only hear a slight improvement in sound quality.

I was wondering if you guys were using the balanced jack to get the better sound quality with the DMP-WM1 firmwares.

I have my Beyerdynamic T5P plugged into the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on my WM1A and listening to 320kbps MP3 files.
4.4 Balanced set to High Gain on WM1A with all HP/IEM. Power output is limited to just 60mW @16 Ohm on the 3.5 SE, and versus the 4.4 Pentacon's 250 mW @16 Ohm.

FEv2 Plus drives my Hifiman Ananda fairly decently on the 4.4 port, although more drive from the amp would be better.

Music files are mostly FLAC, DSD and a smattering of 320 MP3.

Q-6

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #3,704 of 8,242
Edit:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #3,705 of 8,242
4.4 Balanced set to High Gain on WM1A with all HP/IEM. Power output is limited to just 60mW @16 Ohm on the 3.5 SE, and versus the 4.4 Pentacon's 250 mW @16 Ohm.

FEv2 Plus drives my Hifiman Ananda fairly decently on the 4.4 port, although more drive from the amp would be better.

Music files are mostly FLAC, DSD and a smattering of 320 MP3.

Q-6

Maybe this is why I don’t hear much of a difference in sound quality with the DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmware from the stock firmware because I am using the standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

I have been trying to buy a balanced 4.4mm cable for my Beyerdynamic T5P to plug into the balanced jack of my WM1A. I have tried emailing custom cams about a balanced cable but still awaiting a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back