Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,242 of 8,230
Reading up on the Fiio M15 and wondering if that might have been a better choice? A few quid more, is it worth it? Possibly not the thread to ask, unless anyone owns one too or has tried it...

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,243 of 8,230
Reading up on the Fiio M15 and wondering if that might have been a better choice? A few quid more, is it worth it? Possibly not the thread to ask, unless anyone owns one too or has tried it...

No, the better Android based DAP would be the Shanling M8. M15 offers a ton of power, not close in terms of build quality to WM1A. Sonically FiiO's M11 Pro is the better and I own one, nor overly care for it. M15 is warmer than M11 Pro, less technically competent. The DAP is good for those with high power demands.

Shanling is working through the software bugs on the M8, however it's sound signature is far closer to Sony's and with a good deal more power. M8 may see some reduction in pricing over the upcoming CNY, so far I've not seen any movement on pricing as the DAP is in demand and genuinely very good as Shanling know what they are doing. M8 is musical, very dynamic and enjoyable and even exceeds Sony in some aspects.

FWIW I'm an expat from the west with a permanent presence in SE Asia so I can easily audition the majority of portable audio.

Q-6

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #3,244 of 8,230
Bro, take it easy, you should better check all the options and mainly enjoy your gear, a couple of weeks ago you got your new set of n3ap, a terrific set tbh, with the Zx300 it’s a bomb, mainly in the balanced setting. As someone who has walked that path, try to check as much info as you can and get familiarized with your gear, believe me, if I could go back, I would save myself a ton of money. How are you liking your current set? Tbh, it’s hard to dislike the wm1a signature, for me it killed all my Other daps, mainly cause of sq and battery life, sound wise, I know there are better things, but they cost around 2,000 usd and upwards, fiio makes really good stuff... but I don’t like the lack of organic feeling in the sound. I had m11
And tested m15, m15 is amazing, but not my cup of tea, even the zx300 has a “lively” vibe rather than some modern daps. Right now I’m using it with my Sony’s xb75, all I can say Is that I could have saved so much money... but there’s people who could argue, i use simple things when at work and at home I pull my high end gear

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #3,246 of 8,230
No, the better Android based DAP would be the Shanling M8. M15 offers a ton of power, not close in terms of build quality to WM1A. Sonically FiiO's M11 Pro is the better and I own one, nor overly care for it. M15 is warmer than M11 Pro, less technically competent. The DAP is good for those with high power demands.

Shanling is working through the software bugs on the M8, however it's sound signature is far closer to Sony's and with a good deal more power. M8 may see some reduction in pricing over the upcoming CNY, so far I've not seen any movement on pricing as the DAP is in demand and genuinely very good as Shanling know what they are doing. M8 is musical, very dynamic and enjoyable and even exceeds Sony in some aspects.

FWIW I'm an expat from the west with a permanent presence in SE Asia so I can easily audition the majority of portable audio.

Q-6

I had a moment of potential buyers remorse on the WM1A, mostly due to the long wait and wondered for a moment would a more modern DAP make more sense. But I hadn't even noticed the M15 is Android based so that straight away rules it out - the Android boxed is ticked on the ZX507 for me which I see as being 100% my truly portable device for travel etc when the world gets back to that point!

I'll stick with what I've bought, thanks for the feedback.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,247 of 8,230
Mr Walkman or other, how do you know when the tuning has been installed? Thanks.

It will tell you in Unit information in Settings

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,248 of 8,230
Bro, take it easy, you should better check all the options and mainly enjoy your gear, a couple of weeks ago you got your new set of n3ap, a terrific set tbh, with the Zx300 it’s a bomb, mainly in the balanced setting. As someone who has walked that path, try to check as much info as you can and get familiarized with your gear, believe me, if I could go back, I would save myself a ton of money. How are you liking your current set? Tbh, it’s hard to dislike the wm1a signature, for me it killed all my Other daps, mainly cause of sq and battery life, sound wise, I know there are better things, but they cost around 2,000 usd and upwards, fiio makes really good stuff... but I don’t like the lack of organic feeling in the sound. I had m11
And tested m15, m15 is amazing, but not my cup of tea, even the zx300 has a “lively” vibe rather than some modern daps. Right now I’m using it with my Sony’s xb75, all I can say Is that I could have saved so much money... but there’s people who could argue, i use simple things when at work and at home I pull my high end gear

I love the N3 in terms of sound but fit has been terrible, I find it very hard to keep them in my ears (especially my right ear), no matter how many tips I try - best at the moment is over ear and stay quite still! I have since bought the DUNU ZEN and love them, they fit perfectly and sound incredible.

It was a brief moment of uncertainty on the 1A, I've reverted to counting down the days! I probably should have gone for that instead of the ZX507 to begin with but as noted, I see a clear use for the 507 for travel etc, I intend the 1A for home use only.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,249 of 8,230
I love the N3 in terms of sound but fit has been terrible, I find it very hard to keep them in my ears (especially my right ear), no matter how many tips I try - best at the moment is over ear and stay quite still! I have since bought the DUNU ZEN and love them, they fit perfectly and sound incredible.

It was a brief moment of uncertainty on the 1A, I've reverted to counting down the days! I probably should have gone for that instead of the ZX507 to begin with but as noted, I see a clear use for the 507 for travel etc, I intend the 1A for home use only.
Awesome, i used to take the wm1a out for walks, but as I’ve been toying around i used usb c dongles and the amazing qudelix 5k, portability has become more and more important, the zx300 and nw45a are amazing 2go but sometimes i want to stream only.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,250 of 8,230
Awesome, i used to take the wm1a out for walks, but as I’ve been toying around i used usb c dongles and the amazing qudelix 5k, portability has become more and more important, the zx300 and nw45a are amazing 2go but sometimes i want to stream only.

Yes the ZX507 is a neat size and fits well in my pocket - I take it with me every day walking my dog and will definitely use it for travel again in the future - great to have apps like Audible etc on it too. Battery not great compared to the ZX300 but it charges pretty quickly and rare that I'm not near a socket, even if travelling.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3,252 of 8,230
I can see and switch between classic and plus. But during the installation of the tuning I'm getting error message.

Something about data having collapsed ?
You should not run the tuning install from within the zip file but rather unzip the zip file and then run the install

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,255 of 8,230

I had to let the N3 go due to fit issues, any iem I buy now has to have the over-ear design with a solid fit.
I also had issues with the Z5, unfortunately these were both from a time when Sony chose awkward designs whereas many others were doing the over-ear design. I really loved the Sony hybrid sound and was disappointed that the BA M7/M9 and the $$$$ large weighty IER-Z1R didn't fit my tastes, ears and budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back