Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,141 of 8,223
i know how man:

wm1as.png

by the way, im not crazy, i can hear a difference, both wm1a, both mx3, 1 stock 1 wm dmp MKII (i was a beta tester)

Soundstage becomes 3d, instruments are way more distributed, bass has this presence no other dap has but thats the sony sound, with the DMP fw it becomes sort of alive and it just becomes this bubble around my head; headphones that already had a 3d feel became truly impressive (im buying a sony n3, i got one borrowed, bought mine today) shanling me500p as well, planar headphones feel ethereal, like if the sound was appering from nowhere, IMR edp already has a reputation of having a real life like feeling, with this fw the drums in bjon riis "a storm is coming" feel like are just in front of me while the guitar plucks make me wonder if i take my guitar and just pretend to play it would feel like if i was doing the whole thing, the pluck... whenever i can feel the pluck of a guitar, that articulated feel in the mids and mid highs... man, thats the stuff, oh by the way, both are using sandisk (regular ones, not the crazy expensive ones) 128gb memory cards with the same files, one has 400 hours and the other one is almost new. still... one thing is the sound that evolves with aging, and other thing is the nuances that the fw brings.
can you compare 3.00 mx3 against your favorite?

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,142 of 8,223
While this is off-topic, I have to say, many audiophiles are too obsessed with measurements.

Maybe this have something to do with the marketing of modern gears manufacturers, by "educating" people that better measurement implies better sound, they can save the effort on tuning sound but just releasing products that are superior on measurements by using new DAC chips (from the advancement of technology such as lithography of semiconductors) to their predecessors and charge whatever they could.

Many forgot an important fact, gears are served as a mean to listen to music for pleasure, not the other way round. Furthermore people just don't realize the limitations of current measurement methods applied in testing. THD, SNR, FR, those are only telling a minor aspects of the sound, but far from sufficient to draw a conclusion on the quality of the audio reproduction. Scientists have actually proved that, lab instruments we currently have are just inferior compare to animals' ears (especially bats and so), I would say people should have more faith in their own hearing than relying on the measurements published.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,143 of 8,223
While this is off-topic, I have to say, many audiophiles are too obsessed with measurements.

Maybe this have something to do with the marketing of modern gears manufacturers, by "educating" people that better measurements implies better sound, they can save the effort on tuning sound but just releasing products that are superior on measurements by using new DAC chips (from the advancement of technology such as lithography of semiconductors) to their predecessors and charge whatever they could.

Many forgot an important fact, gears are served as a mean to listen to music for pleasure, not the other way round. Furthermore people just don't realize the limitations of current measurement methods applied in testing. THD, SNR, FR, those are only telling a minor aspects of the sound, but far from sufficient to draw a conclusion on the quality of the audio reproduction. Scientists have actually proved that, lab instruments we currently have are just inferior compare to animals' ears (especially bats and so), I would say people should have more faith in their own hearing than relying on the measurements published.

Also it turns out we have had measurements confuse Head-Fi. An IEM came out and was measured right away. The problem was there were problems with the measurements and they did not represent the IEM response. With the suggestion out in the open and fully noted.......the people who tried the IEM heard the imperfect graph as a response.

Later after the storm was over the single original test was determined to be incorrect and new testing proved an actual graph response. Yet by then the group as a whole had already disregarded the IEM as its reputation preceded it on the market. If people would have actually listened then they may have noted or not noted any flaw. Measurements as far as headphone and IEM graphs are meant to be as an addition to factually verify a question that may arise as to what you hear. You hear it, then look at the measurements as far as judging IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,144 of 8,223
From WM1Z++ to DMP-Z1 to MKII, the WM1Z has become more and more amazing then ever.
The DSEE AI implemented is truly remarkable and fabulous! My songs has never sounded that good before, even for those 24bit but in 44.1 and 48 kHz.
I can tell that the DMP-Z1 MKII mod is definitely revolutionary and essential to those who have WM1Z and insist to pursue perfectness but don't want to modify their player physically.
The DMP-Z1 original mod however was not really good on my MDR-Z1R. The sound was just thinner and less focused than WM1Z++ relatively, but it has been drastically improved on the MKII mod. That's absolutely a plus for its capability in handling headphones and earphones!:gs1000smile:
F787E47F-E1A3-46A1-86C6-CB97422C0611_1_105_c.jpeg
23613C58-FCB8-4F4C-97A1-2E42B015BC36_1_105_c.jpeg

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,145 of 8,223
Maybe this have something to do with the marketing of modern gears manufacturers, by "educating" people that better measurement implies better sound, they can save the effort on tuning sound but just releasing products that are superior on measurements by using new DAC chips (from the advancement of technology such as lithography of semiconductors) to their predecessors and charge whatever they could.

I have, besides my Walkman, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my other source. The likes of AudioScienceReview would tell you that the Sonata HDP is the best price-to-performance ratio dongle DAC/amp that you can get because of how competently it measures. Now it's a good and laudable product, don't get me wrong, but these days I find myself listening through it only when the Walkman is charging or when I'm auditioning albums to take with me on the Walkman. It may be transparent and analytical, but it's also sterile and cold. Reproducing a pure tone accurately is easy. Making digital files sound musical is what the Sony tax is for.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,146 of 8,223
Can I confirm that there are no Bluetooth Remote function on MX3 region?
I used to switching song with Remote.
I enjoyed MX3 region but once my remote disconnected. I cannot find the option. So i switched back to E region.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,147 of 8,223
Can I confirm that there are no Bluetooth Remote function on MX3 region?
I used to switching song with Remote.
I enjoyed MX3 region but once my remote disconnected. I cannot find the option. So i switched back to E region.
Yes. MX3 region doesn’t support the remote. Only E, J, CEV does in my personal tests. And may be a few more that I haven’t tested.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #1,148 of 8,223
I have, besides my Walkman, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my other source. The likes of AudioScienceReview would tell you that the Sonata HDP is the best price-to-performance ratio dongle DAC/amp that you can get because of how competently it measures. Now it's a good and laudable product, don't get me wrong, but these days I find myself listening through it only when the Walkman is charging or when I'm auditioning albums to take with me on the Walkman. It may be transparent and analytical, but it's also sterile and cold. Reproducing a pure tone accurately is easy. Making digital files sound musical is what the Sony tax is for.
Yeah. I love my sonata hd pro too. Works great with my laptop and iPhone. Probably the best dac dongle I have ever used. I even prefer it to the much more expensive lotoo s1.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,149 of 8,223
@MrWalkman I hope you are well rested. Is there a possibility of the WM1A/Z MK II FW be modified to work on the ZX300?
Thank you for your hard work.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,150 of 8,223
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,152 of 8,223
Yeah. I love my sonata hd pro too. Works great with my laptop and iPhone. Probably the best dac dongle I have ever used. I even prefer it to the much more expensive lotoo s1.
On 3.5 I agree, in 4.4 (the ltp) not, though mine is Romi Audio modded, still both of em are beyond many daps capabilities, I ended up selling a bunch of stuff and keeping my Sony’s, the ltp and sonata hd pro and my cayin n6ii

this firmware thing has been so mind blowing I ended up selling a bunch of gear. I’m in music paradise with my current gear

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,153 of 8,223
On 3.5 I agree, in 4.4 (the ltp) not, though mine is Romi Audio modded, still both of em are beyond many daps capabilities, I ended up selling a bunch of stuff and keeping my Sony’s, the ltp and sonata hd pro and my cayin n6ii

this firmware thing has been so mind blowing I ended up selling a bunch of gear. I’m in music paradise with my current gear
I solely use the Sonata hd pro with my laptop and iPhone so 3.5mm is what is use. It’s lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back