Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 17, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #796 of 8,240
MrWalkman has plan to release a "mk2" firmware? I thought the current FW is based on the official tuning of DMP? What does the proposed "mk2" based on? Is it another firmware version of DMP, or is it a "original" (unofficial, diy) tuning? Clarifications appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #797 of 8,240
MrWalkman has plan to release a "mk2" firmware? I thought the current FW is based on the official tuning of DMP? What does the propsed "mk2" based on? Is it another firmware version of DMP, or is it a "original" (unofficial, diy) tuning? Clarifications appreciated.

Probably best for MrWalkman to reiterate on his goals.

Though the way I see it is every firmware tune exists as a profile set of values. Those values interact with the player. Hence emulation may or may not be an exact science as each player has it’s own character.

There will always be a group subjectivity which (like a club) can group agree on a set standard of tone values. That’s the basis of Head-Fi; for concepts to be publicly criticized and praised, as there is a style of truth to that.

Outside of a person’s taste there could actually be a bell curve which contains what people would consider an able and correct response. Inside of that there are certain technical abilities which could be a plus or a minus. Everyone has a tone preference along with different musical genre taste and different IEMs. If someone has only Choir music that they listen to.......a certain reverb..........that may be just the thing to make them feel they are in the cathedral where the recording was. Another genre listener may find that same good attribute a negative. It seems the detail here is better across the board on both MK1 and MK2. Though to my ears MK1( with the 1A) did not have the bass physicality of....say 1A/1Z+. So due to these events we view the players as acting different with firmware. This concept is nothing new and many have seen the Sony stock firmwares seem to favor the 1A or 1Z better.

What we have here (to me) is a firmware holding onto what made MK1 fabulous in both players, but fixing and improving the 1A use.

There was a slight “far-away” that MK1 bestowed upon the 1A, that many would overlook due to supreme detail. Now the 1A seems to have it all. Yet remember this is simply closer to perfection. Perfect may be understood and felt at times, but in audio it seems elusive. My test is simply if a firmware allows the music to remain a spectacle.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #798 of 8,240
MrWalkman has plan to release a "mk2" firmware? I thought the current FW is based on the official tuning of DMP? What does the proposed "mk2" based on? Is it another firmware version of DMP, or is it a "original" (unofficial, diy) tuning? Clarifications appreciated.

The Main Danger With On-line Audio Forums:

The only danger (besides spending more) is a reader may get information which causes them to misjudge reality.

There are documented cases of an IEM being mistakenly graphed-out and shown in a graph to have a character response that it didn’t have. The IEM failed miserably due to people that had not heard the IEM pre-judging the IEM. Due to confirmation bias many actually heard the IEM to sound exactly like the graph looked. Later after the IEM was slowly being forgotten in time it was measured correctly and found to not have any of the characteristics it was judged for.

So as far as firmware ideas, it’s better at the beginning to talk about the positive aspects. Due to the power of suggestion I concentrated on the 1Z with the MK1 release. I openly praised the combination. Later (much later) I tried the MK1 firmware with the 1A, but kept my opinion to PM messages.

Why?

It’s simply my humble opinion. But also if negative it can rob someone (by suggested confirmation bias) the ability to hear the truth. The truth is slightly different for everyone due to our ear canal shape, or tone preferences and IEMs used.

This hobby is very much based on attitude. Your friend wants to take you to his favorite restaurant. In reality the food is just “OK” .....it’s not bad nor great just OK. Your friend though loves the food! Food does have subjective sides to it so we let him have his opinion. The wife on the other hand hates the place. In fact she takes you to the side and tells you not to make a big deal about the food; but that she is just going there to make her husband happy. When you get there the food comes and normally the atmosphere and service combined with the medium grade food would have been enjoyable. Though due to her suggestion it created confirmation bias that ruined what would have been a nice dinner.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #799 of 8,240
Using the 3.5mm output into an amp should the volume be 80 or 100? I have read 2 posts saying different things, I believe one was quoting Sony's recommendation of 80?
Also, I assume low gain is best?
If an amp has 4.4mm input technically the Walkman's 4.4mm output would be better than the 3.5mm?

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #800 of 8,240
Hi everyone 😛
So we are at Dmp-z1 m2 now hehe
Crazy how fast time flys, I just took headfi vacations with so many options I wonder does everyone do to enjoy all of them?
So I took off 🙃🙂

Tiger Ears

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #801 of 8,240
Hi everyone 😛
So we are at Dmp-z1 m2 now hehe
Crazy how fast time flys, I just took headfi vacations with so many options I wonder does everyone do to enjoy all of them?
So I took off 🙃🙂

Tiger Ears
What happen to your Tiger Ears? Hanging them up? Lol 😃

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #802 of 8,240
What happen to your Tiger Ears? Hanging them up? Lol 😃

Aaa gues I am getting old lmao I needed peace and relaxation tiger got tired 💆‍♂️

I am looking back in time, thi king about those days when I had the real love enjoyment with music. And it dodnt required to have end game gear for it.

I am kinda back to Spotify 😅😅😅 on my zx507.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #803 of 8,240
Using the 3.5mm output into an amp should the volume be 80 or 100? I have read 2 posts saying different things, I believe one was quoting Sony's recommendation of 80?
Also, I assume low gain is best?
If an amp has 4.4mm input technically the Walkman's 4.4mm output would be better than the 3.5mm?
3.5mm output is recommended for amping. Not the balanced port as there is a lack of grounding on the Walkmans and I have tried it before personally and it didn’t sound right as well. I always leave my volume on my 1A at 100/120 when using with my amp. So I have the headroom to control the volume using my Sony remote when I’m far away from my desktop listening on headphones.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #804 of 8,240
What custom firmware should I use for the NW-A55L?

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #805 of 8,240
What custom firmware should I use for the NW-A55L?

A50 or A50R. Both work fine. On the opening post, there are links to description & download link for both of them.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #806 of 8,240
3.5mm output is recommended for amping. Not the balanced port as there is a lack of grounding on the Walkmans and I have tried it before personally and it didn’t sound right as well. I always leave my volume on my 1A at 100/120 when using with my amp. So I have the headroom to control the volume using my Sony remote when I’m far away from my desktop listening on headphones.
This might help, but I haven't tried it. So tempted to buy it, but I don't quiet understand it usage for IEM alone. The FB owners suggest it improves the separation and background noise, but to my knowledge the stock Z1R cable is not grounded, so not sure how it benefits from it.

pw-audio-4-4mm-female-adapter-for-sony-wm1a-wm1z-digital-player-dap-979_1000x.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #810 of 8,240
The Main Danger With On-line Audio Forums:

The only danger (besides spending more) is a reader may get information which causes them to misjudge reality.

There are documented cases of an IEM being mistakenly graphed-out and shown in a graph to have a character response that it didn’t have. The IEM failed miserably due to people that had not heard the IEM pre-judging the IEM. Due to confirmation bias many actually heard the IEM to sound exactly like the graph looked. Later after the IEM was slowly being forgotten in time it was measured correctly and found to not have any of the characteristics it was judged for.

So as far as firmware ideas, it’s better at the beginning to talk about the positive aspects. Due to the power of suggestion I concentrated on the 1Z with the MK1 release. I openly praised the combination. Later (much later) I tried the MK1 firmware with the 1A, but kept my opinion to PM messages.

Why?

It’s simply my humble opinion. But also if negative it can rob someone (by suggested confirmation bias) the ability to hear the truth. The truth is slightly different for everyone due to our ear canal shape, or tone preferences and IEMs used.

This hobby is very much based on attitude. Your friend wants to take you to his favorite restaurant. In reality the food is just “OK” .....it’s not bad nor great just OK. Your friend though loves the food! Food does have subjective sides to it so we let him have his opinion. The wife on the other hand hates the place. In fact she takes you to the side and tells you not to make a big deal about the food; but that she is just going there to make her husband happy. When you get there the food comes and normally the atmosphere and service combined with the medium grade food would have been enjoyable. Though due to her suggestion it created confirmation bias that ruined what would have been a nice dinner.
DMP 1Z M2 with the MDR-Z1R is glorious!! :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back