Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #6,032 of 8,232
Sorry for the off-topic. Are you using windows on Parallel or multiboot? Thanks. just started using macbook m1 but need windows on it as well.
Actually some of the features work, but that shot was before I was enlightened as to the tuning not being able to work in Mac. So I am not able/don’t want to run Windows on a Mac. My old Windows machine is what I use, it is a little, and at times a lot slow, but it does work. Lol

I maybe should have edited the post for those not reading the whole page? Sorry.

And it’s totally on topic really! I can do it all except load tunes with a Mac. I need to load the basic firmware originally in Windows too.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #6,033 of 8,232
Actually some of the features work, but that shot was before I was enlightened as to the tuning not being able to work in Mac. So I am not able/don’t want to run Windows on a Mac. My old Windows machine is what I use, it is a little, and at times a lot slow, but it does work. Lol

I maybe should have edited the post for those not reading the whole page? Sorry.

And it’s totally on topic really! I can do it all except load tunes with a Mac. I need to load the basic firmware originally in Windows too.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #6,035 of 8,232
Updated on the latest WM1Z and everything works great. Except for one issue, I just noticed. When playing songs on Bluetooth connected to my AirPods, The volume change doesn't seem to work at all. Any suggestions?
In the Settings in Audio Device Connection Settings there is a checkbox called Use Enhanced Mode that should fix this

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #6,036 of 8,232
There is a strong chance I’m doing something wrong. I’ll work on it tonight. I’ve got the firmware installed properly but based on the sound I’m getting and compared to my other inexpensive dap I need to go back and review the instructions again.

1632915286363.png

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #6,038 of 8,232
Just bagged a new wm1a for £700 after lurking this thread for a while, really excited to try the custom firmware.
I have a mac though, I understand that won't work with the install? I can just use a friends windows PC if so.
Will feed you guys back comparisons with the mojo, dragonfly cobalt and AK380 when ive had some time with it.
You can install a trial version of Parallels Desktop and a trial version of Windows 10 or 11. If you are using a M1 Mac, you have Windows ARM and for it's free. No need to use or borrow a real PC.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #6,039 of 8,232
Sorry for the off-topic. Are you using windows on Parallel or multiboot? Thanks. just started using macbook m1 but need windows on it as well.
Windows for ARM works on latest version of Parallel's. It will eventually run on VMware Fusion but without any VMware drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #6,040 of 8,232
hi guys. i've been on FEv2 plus J region on my 1A for a while now. i really like it with my m9 and 7550. what would you guys recommend for the new walkman one? thank you.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,041 of 8,232
hi guys. i've been on FEv2 plus J region on my 1A for a while now. i really like it with my m9 and 7550. what would you guys recommend for the new walkman one? thank you.
Since you like FEv2 with J, you should then install the Bright sound signature with plus v2, J region and maybe different dac or change it back to normal dac mode if you don’t like it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,042 of 8,232
Since you like FEv2 with J, you should then install the Bright sound signature with plus v2, J region and maybe different dac or change it back to normal dac mode if you don’t like it.
thank you boss. will definitely try your recommendation later.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #6,044 of 8,232

i am in the exact same setup (plus mode) , pairing my wm1a with my amazing beast of transparency Hidition NT6 (with 1960s 2wire taking off the hotness from the highs) and even though i have downloaded every CFW that came afterwards , i am still very much satisfied with what i am hearing so staying put (plus i am kinda bored to do the whole setup thing , for now)

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #6,045 of 8,232
Yes. And also the different DAC option removes a lot of redundant and unused processes from running in the Walkman, like the noise cancelling stuff etc. That attributes to the battery saving as well.

*edited for correction
I thought it was PlusV2 that did those things

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back