Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6,061 of 8,221
You can install a trial version of Parallels Desktop and a trial version of Windows 10 or 11. If you are using a M1 Mac, you have Windows ARM and for it's free. No need to use or borrow a real PC.
First of all, you're an absolute dude for recommending this. It worked perfectly on my M1 Mac, wm1a is now on wm1z firmware. Maybe its worth adding this to the FAQ Mr walkman?

Secondly, this thing sounds absolutely dope now. The Wm1a, i was kinda meh with, nice, but nothing special. This is now excellent, and the best DAP I've heard...Coming from a mojo-poly, that's high praise. I would say this is noticably better than an AK380.

Mr walkman, do you have a donation page?

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #6,062 of 8,221
First of all, you're an absolute dude for recommending this. It worked perfectly on my M1 Mac, wm1a is now on wm1z firmware. Maybe its worth adding this to the FAQ Mr walkman?

Secondly, this thing sounds absolutely dope now. The Wm1a, i was kinda meh with, nice, but nothing special. This is now excellent, and the best DAP I've heard...Coming from a mojo-poly, that's high praise. I would say this is noticably better than an AK380.

Mr walkman, do you have a donation page?

Nice! You could also give a try to the Plus v2 mode - change PMV in the settings file to 2, and then, before you start the player, set the Hold button to the Up position. After the player finishes starting, you can do what you want with the Hold button. Starting the player this way (with the Hold button) will start it in the chosen Plus mode.

I have a donation link on the website, www.nwmods.ml. I really appreciate the support, thanks!

You did prefer init 1 a couple of days ago right? What made you change your mind?

I found that with the DIM setting set to On, there was something "too much" of the "WM1Z" sound signature, can't say exactly what. DIM set to Off sounds better.

DIM=0 acts as an extra filter being added to the sound, and it's how it's set on the stock firmware too, while DIM=1 removes that filter.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #6,063 of 8,221
Droppede my WM1Z on the floor today. No marks, no injury to the screen, apart from a flickering and now a total fade out! I’m having hopes on Nayparms expertise here!

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #6,064 of 8,221
Nice! You could also give a try to the Plus v2 mode - change PMV in the settings file to 2, and then, before you start the player, set the Hold button to the Up position. After the player finishes starting, you can do what you want with the Hold button. Starting the player this way (with the Hold button) will start it in the chosen Plus mode.

I have a donation link on the website, www.nwmods.ml. I really appreciate the support, thanks!
Donated.

Willdo. Spent a good 3 hours with it now, i might add my player is burnt in already over 200hrs.

This is by far the best DAP I've heard, to reiterate, I think it matches the Mojo/Poly playing from SD card in resolution, but there is an additional quality...The overall tonality is superior.
Astell DAPs don't even come close. The KANN was my goto, and I've spent time with the AK380. Zero competition from the korean brand here, imo.

Without this firmware it's another story. I think vanilla WM1a is below a mojopoly combo tbh, and comparable to the good AK daps.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #6,065 of 8,221
Droppede my WM1Z on the floor today. No marks, no injury to the screen, apart from a flickering and now a total fade out! I’m having hopes on Nayparms expertise here!
You might be better to reach out to him on his own site - https://npaudio.boards.net/ or https://www.npaudio.uk/ Hopefully he can help. If your lucky it will just be the LCD flexible printed circuit (FPC) was dislocated by the impact and a simple fix.
1633038239336.png

This is why I have the Fat Bear soft & hard case, I also use Sony's carry strap and literally tether the DAP to the desk with a carabiner as wires kids & pets are not the best of recipes for such devices. Works as My WM1A has taken a dive a few times and always been saved by the carry strap and a little ingenuity.

Silicon case does exactly as advertised and protects the player. Never had an issue with dust, only negatives; no access to the SD Card & cold weather the case be can difficult to remove. Majority of cases only protect from light scratches & scuffs, Fat Bear protects all aspects of the player barring the display with a level of shock absorption in the event of a drop like a G-Shock

1621197850884.png
1621197864180.png

Silicon case is dense and ribbed internally to absorb shock in the event of being dropped, without adding excessive bulk to the player.

1621197882558.png

1621197898177.png

Hard case is similar to a Pelican Case, offering both shock and water resistance. I see a lot of WM1A/Z's here used, sadly many modified by gravity :frowning2:

Q-6

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #6,066 of 8,221
You might be better to reach out to him on his own site - https://npaudio.boards.net/ or https://www.npaudio.uk/ Hopefully he can help. If your lucky it will just be the LCD flexible printed circuit (FPC) was dislocated by the impact and a simple fix.
1633038239336.png

This is why I have the Fat Bear soft & hard case, I also use Sony's carry strap and literally tether the DAP to the desk with a carabiner as wires kids & pets are not the best of recipes for such devices. Works as My WM1A has taken a dive a few times and always been saved by the carry strap and a little ingenuity.

Silicon case does exactly as advertised and protects the player. Never had an issue with dust, only negatives; no access to the SD Card & cold weather the case be can difficult to remove. Majority of cases only protect from light scratches & scuffs, Fat Bear protects all aspects of the player barring the display with a level of shock absorption in the event of a drop like a G-Shock

1621197850884.png
1621197864180.png

Silicon case is dense and ribbed internally to absorb shock in the event of being dropped, without adding excessive bulk to the player.

1621197882558.png

1621197898177.png

Hard case is similar to a Pelican Case, offering both shock and water resistance. I see a lot of WM1A/Z's here used, sadly many modified by gravity :frowning2:

Q-6
This is overkill but I like it 😃

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #6,067 of 8,221
Donated.

Willdo. Spent a good 3 hours with it now, i might add my player is burnt in already over 200hrs.

This is by far the best DAP I've heard, to reiterate, I think it matches the Mojo/Poly playing from SD card in resolution, but there is an additional quality...The overall tonality is superior.
Astell DAPs don't even come close. The KANN was my goto, and I've spent time with the AK380. Zero competition from the korean brand here, imo.

Without this firmware it's another story. I think vanilla WM1a is below a mojopoly combo tbh, and comparable to the good AK daps.

I only had a FiiO M11 Pro, and I wasn't that much impressed of the sound, so I went looking at other options on the web. I saw that Sony has some music players, but I had no idea that, for example, they're using a Class D amplifier compared to others.

I decided to give Sony a try as I bought some Sony headphones before, plus cameras, and I like the brand.

I was initially looking at the ZX507, as it has Wi-Fi, you can install Google Play apps, streaming apps, etc., but I already had a folder on my smartphone with FLAC music, so the thought of having an offline-only player didn't seem bad at all - also, WM1A had a BT Receiver function, so I could stream music if I wanted to.

I ended up, however, ordering the ZX507. 3 days passed, and the ZX507 wasn't shipped yet. In these days I thought about the WM1A more, and the idea to have an offline-only player became more appealing - funnily enough, I also took notice of how the WM1A looks a bit unusual in a cool way, so I told myself that it must be something at least a bit special, so I ended up cancelling the ZX507 order and bought the WM1A.

I remember liking the sound, then first tuning mods came out and it kind of opened my eyes regarding the possibilities - how good sounding can the WM1A get?

Now we have firmware mods, and I am listening in awe to the WM1A with the WM1Z signature with Plus v2 and MX3 region, via the Shure SE846. It's a really engaging and "alive" sound, in a way.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #6,068 of 8,221
Oct 1, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #6,069 of 8,221
Oct 1, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,071 of 8,221

1621197850884.png
1621197864180.png

1621197882558.png

1621197898177.png

Q-6
It’s being shipped today. Instant feedback from Steven! Getting “the big one” while I’m at it! Hard times now, good times ahead! Thank you 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #6,072 of 8,221
Hi everyone

@MrWalkman

i want to install the new one but unsure which one I hv. I think it is "StockRevert_Midnight_(for_1A)" but want to ask before executing wrong stock revert.

mine said Midnight (Classic) 3.02. photo is provided.

thank you.

You don't have Midnight v2 (for 1A) installed, so use the other Midnight v2 StockRevert.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,073 of 8,221
Hi

Thank you for responding. I am really grateful you spending time to help me.

Will the wrong revert version brick my unit? i think i have the this version. -> see screenshot

i don't understand your reply "other Midnight v2". i downloaded the past stock revert. I only see "StockRevert_Midnight_Dawn" and "StockRevert_Midnight_(for_1A)". which one should I use?

1633081378901.png

You don't have Midnight v2 (for 1A) installed, so use the other Midnight v2 StockRevert.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #6,074 of 8,221
Now we have firmware mods, and I am listening in awe to the WM1A with the WM1Z signature with Plus v2 and MX3 region, via the Shure SE846. It's a really engaging and "alive" sound, in a way.

Amen, it's superb. The Astell DAPs are a bit soulless, the Chord is a bit metallic, this is absolutely perfect. Organic, airy, lush, superb.

Pretty chuffed, I got the wm1a for £700 off amazon and even for that this seems like a steal. But for some reason the handstrap was missing, I messaged amazon and they gave me a refund of £140!

So £560 for basically WM1z sound. Bargain.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #6,075 of 8,221
Amen, it's superb. The Astell DAPs are a bit soulless, the Chord is a bit metallic, this is absolutely perfect. Organic, airy, lush, superb.

Pretty chuffed, I got the wm1a for £700 off amazon and even for that this seems like a steal. But for some reason the handstrap was missing, I messaged amazon and they gave me a refund of £140!

So £560 for basically WM1z sound. Bargain.
Only the1Z ships with a hand strap. They got to justify the $2000 more by including something the 1A doesn't have. JK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back