Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 10, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #5,686 of 8,230
I installed Midnight v2 (for ZX300 / A) yesterday. The execution of "Midnight_v2 (for_ZX300) and then" Midnight_external_tuning_ZX300 "was successful.

Today I wanted to uninstall Midnight to reinstall it with "Project_Z_external_tuning_EX300".
The execution of "StockRevert_Midnight_ (for_ZX300) .exe" was successful.

However, I was unable to run "FirmwareUpdateTool.exe" located in the "2b. Project_Z_external_tuning_ZX300 ”.

My computer always displays the message "Connect the player to the computer with a USB cable". The ZX300 was however well connected in USB mass storage mode since I had access to the internal memory and the SD_CARD with the file explorer.

After several failed attempts even using another USB port and then another computer, I ran "FirmwareUpdateTool.exe" available in package "Past_StockRevert_packages_ZX300_06_09 "
And this time, no problem.

Can I consider that the uninstallation is completely complete?

Have other users encountered this problem with a ZX300?

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #5,687 of 8,230
You can just apply the other tuning, without reverting to stock first.

After running StockRevert, you'd need to run Midnight_v2_for_ZX300 again before being able to run another tuning.

To confirm the installation/uninstallation, always watch the update bar on the player's screen, as well as checking the Unit Information menu.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #5,688 of 8,230
You can just apply the other tuning, without reverting to stock first.
Thank you MrWalkman for this clarification about the change of tuning that I had forgotten. Indeed, it is easier and faster to do as you indicate.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #5,689 of 8,230
The update for Dawn/Midnight v2 for WM1A/Z is now available.

To install this new update you'll have to use StockRevert again (sorry, I know it's annoying).

The StockRevert package will now look for the Dawn settings file, and it will make sure that
the player's region is the one set in the file. If a Dawn settings file doesn't exist, it will check
for a Midnight settings file, and if this one also doesn't exist, there will be no changes to the
region. You will also see some entries in the boot_log.txt file after the StockRevert package
was used.

The Home page icons color will now be the default one after using the StockRevert package.

As I was saying before, there is now a "Lower" gain option available, besides the "Higher" and
"Normal" ones.
Also, in order for the Gain setting to work, you'll have to delete any existing
settings file, so new ones can be generated. This option might help with the (normal, not related
to these mods) background hiss on sensitive IEMs, for example.

Enjoy!

is this one for WM1A too ? or just wm1z only ?

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #5,690 of 8,230
is this one for WM1A too ? or just wm1z only ?
Title says it all, equally you always can try :) At the end of the day it's all subjective and down to personal taste...

Q-6

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #5,691 of 8,230
Just got my EE merlins back from repair (hairline crack) and my gosh midnight v2 plus1 (everything else stock setting) breathed new life to these aging pair! It sounds really lush and good that i might just get them customed lol!

Attachments

• 20210910_171404.jpg
    20210910_171404.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #5,692 of 8,230
Title says it all, equally you always can try :) At the end of the day it's all subjective and down to personal taste...

Q-6

the download link says DOWNLOAD "MIDNIGHT v2" for WM1A/Z / DOWNLOAD "DAWN v2" for WM1A/Z

or are they separately - and if so , is there a dawn v2 incoming for wm1a ?

i am confused

@MrWalkman to the rescue

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #5,693 of 8,230
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #5,694 of 8,230
why do i remember them being for both 1a/1z some days back ?

so i guess

a)i can only download the midnight v2 for 1a file only (for now)
b) there is a dawn v2 for 1a coming ?

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #5,695 of 8,230
why do i remember them being for both 1a/1z some days back ?

so i guess

a)i can only download the midnight v2 for 1a file only (for now)
b) there is a dawn v2 for 1a coming ?

Midnight v2 for 1A is made specifically for the 1A to further bridge the gap between how Midnight sounds on the 1Z vs how it sounds on the 1A.

You could also install the "WM1Z" ones, but it won't sound like it does on the 1Z.

Dawn is coming in an all-in-one firmware.
The next update will be the "Walkman One" firmware (currently working on it for the 1A/Z), which include Midnight as "Warm", Dawn (v2.1, unreleased) as "Bright", the WM1Z sound as "WM1Z", and "Neutral" as kind of a middle point between "Warm" and "Bright". "WM1Z" will be the default sound signature.

I'll keep only the Project Z and the FEv2 tunings - the 4 modes will have each one their own tuning.

I'm also trying to make it so settings are being kept between sound signature changes. Hopefully that will work well.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #5,696 of 8,230
@MrWalkman Another great release. However, the boot modes aren’t right on my WM1A. When I boot it with hold button in up position the player is in “Normal“ Mode where as if I boot it with hold button in down position the player is in “Plus v2“ mode. On the installation instructions it’s the opposite. Another problem I have encountered is that I cannot get my WM1A on “Plus v1” mode. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #5,697 of 8,230
Not quite.

Screenshot_20210903-175819_Chrome.jpg
Quick question: are the settings easier to set? i will confess that I have not looked into the options yet because I worry i won’t know what to do when I get to the settings file. 🙊

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #5,698 of 8,230
@MrWalkman Another great release. However, the boot modes aren’t right on my WM1A. When I boot it with hold button in up position the player is in “Normal“ Mode where as if I boot it with hold button in down position the player is in “Plus v2“ mode. On the installation instructions it’s the opposite. Another problem I have encountered is that I cannot get my WM1A on “Plus v1” mode. Any ideas?
Because the new installer boots into plus 2 mode by default now and hold button in off position. You can change those settings in the settings file so that the hold button behaviour is reversed as well as if you want to use plus 1 mode.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #5,699 of 8,230

Hey, there is a new settings system based on a file in the internal storage. Among other things, you can change if you want to start with the Plus mode as default, so you won't have to put the Hold button in the Up position to start in the Plus mode, for example.

You can also choose between the Plus v1 or Plus v2 modes.

All the details about this are on the firmware's page.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #5,700 of 8,230
Quick question: are the settings easier to set? i will confess that I have not looked into the options yet because I worry i won’t know what to do when I get to the settings file. 🙊

The settings in the settings file are not related to the ones you can normally set in the Settings menu.

For each setting in the settings file you can find info in that file, about how and what you can set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back