Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 6, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #3,616 of 8,224
That is not showing up in firmware versions of these smaller players.

Instead, you will see the Remote option, or the "MUSICCLIP" folder in the internal storage, for example.
Thanks. After dinner (with a lovely Prosecco) now I think I may wait until tomorrow to do this again...will report back whenever I do. Right now my normal stereo is playing some wonderful Bossa Nova so I'm gonna chill. [Cambridge Audio Azur 851N into Rega Elex-r driving Magnepan LRS.]

Bossa Nova warms in the Winter & cools in the Summer...

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #3,617 of 8,224
Thanks. After dinner (with a lovely Prosecco) now I think I may wait until tomorrow to do this again...will report back whenever I do. Right now my normal stereo is playing some wonderful Bossa Nova so I'm gonna chill. [Cambridge Audio Azur 851N into Rega Elex-r driving Magnepan LRS.]

Bossa Nova warms in the Winter & cools in the Summer...
I’m jello haha 😃 Which are you using? FE2/+ or Project Z/+? How does it sound

On another note, I extremely enjoy listening to Project Z+ connected to my car speaker. The classic version feel more relax, while the + version more dynamic. As for DC Phase Linearizer, it feels Type A high is more soulful/ high notes with less bass. Meanwhile, type B low is more tap toeing/ stronger bass at expense of slight treble roll off at the top. The effect seemed more pronounced/ easier to notice on Project Z+.

As for the weird soundstage effect some noticed in live music, I noticed them too. But to me, it sounds pretty cool hearing them through car speakers. It should make new rediscovery for Chesky type recording. I’m with the camp who thinks Project Z+ generally shows what the actual recording should sounds. Although there’s no denying that it may sounds a little off on certain iems in terms of how sound travels, reverbs etc

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #3,618 of 8,224
anyone here with EE Zeus (XR) , what FW are you guys using with your 1a/1z ?

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,619 of 8,224
@MrWalkman I recently purchased a Sony WM1A from a seller on eBay and he accepted my offer price of £620. Anyway he mentions that the WM1A is uncapped which enables the high gain settings as well as the remote control settings. If I update the firmware to the DMP-WM1FEv2 or Project Z firmwares will it disable the high gain and remote control settings? Please advise.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,620 of 8,224
@MrWalkman I recently purchased a Sony WM1A from a seller on eBay and he accepted my offer price of £620. Anyway he mentions that the WM1A is uncapped which enables the high gain settings as well as the remote control settings. If I update the firmware to the DMP-WM1FEv2 or Project Z firmwares will it disable the high gain and remote control settings? Please advise.

Shouldn’t have an effect. I think it means they’ve just set it to J region

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #3,621 of 8,224
No the gain & BT remote is defined by the players region, not the firmware so the current settings will remain.

Q-6

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,622 of 8,224
Uncapped is good! EU models are capped, a pain in the rear!

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,623 of 8,224
Uncapped is good! EU models are capped, a pain in the rear!
Just change the region code to J and EU model won't be capped anymore and remote control will be supported too.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,624 of 8,224
On some A40 players, there is no sound output.

If any of you here got this issue, could you please PM me to test out a solution?

My A40 works fine.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,626 of 8,224
Mr. Walkman:
Here's how it went today. Reverted to stock from DMP-40. Checked region & had to reset to J (from U). Then installed the Z mods. Still no remote setting. Rebooted player & it was there!
I do have audio output from the headphone jack, but haven't yet checked WM-port line out.
Also, am I remembering correctly that @ DMP-40 mod the VPT Surround setting was no longer present? Now with Z mod it is back.

Thanks again from a fan!

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #3,627 of 8,224
Mr. Walkman:
Here's how it went today. Reverted to stock from DMP-40. Checked region & had to reset to J (from U). Then installed the Z mods. Still no remote setting. Rebooted player & it was there!
I do have audio output from the headphone jack, but haven't yet checked WM-port line out.
Also, am I remembering correctly that @ DMP-40 mod the VPT Surround setting was no longer present? Now with Z mod it is back.

Thanks again from a fan!

I'm glad you like it, and I hope you'll like the sound too :)

If there is sound, then there will also be sound via the WM port :wink:

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,629 of 8,224
So far I'm impressed with all of the different firmware mods for the A55 (A50 Series) and I'm currently on the fence about which one I like best at least for my setup.
The A50Z a very balanced sound with a nice dynamic soundstage but lacks vocal on some songs and depth/impactful bass. Sure I can use the EQ to kind of tune that out but its not the same, all that changes is the strength of it, you still miss that low deep punchy rumble.

The DMP-A50 FEv2 fixes those problems listed above but the soundstage seems a bit narrower

The DMP-A50R FE [which is now unsupported due to issues on A56/A57 Walkmans] is certainly unique and definitely the best sounding on some tracks thanks from the added settings it brings but I could never seem to find the sweet spot and would get the occasional harshness on 1-4k frequencies and the soundstage also seems a little narrow thanks to the loss of VPT

I'm on the fence about all of it, all 3 are just so good for different things.

Hopefully the one Walkman has coming up is the middle ground, or blows the other 3 out of the water. Either way you have created some masterpieces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back