Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,648 of 8,224
Anybody here enjoying the Sony Remote for WM1 players (Sony RMT-NWS20)?
I would like to know if it is draining much battery as the player has to have Bluetooth on the whole time?
Never seen the RMT as a battery drain, like as not on standby BT power usage is negligible.

Q-6

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #3,649 of 8,224
many tks, just finished ,everything looks the same except I got this screen saying its has been updated, how can I know if the update completed?
What bitrate is your music ripped at, to have so few songs filling up so much space?

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3,650 of 8,224
I updated the A40 modified firmware versions, to fix the issue where some A40 owners wouldn't have any sound output, so you can just download them again and install them.

Let me know if all is ok afterwards in regards to the sound.

Please note that after installing either one of these three firmware versions (DMP-A40 FEv2 / Project Z / A50 stock port for A40) the settings may be reset, and the data in the internal storage may be deleted (I'm not sure if it's both, or just the settings getting reset).

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,651 of 8,224
I updated the A40 modified firmware versions, to fix the issue where some A40 owners wouldn't have any sound output, so you can just download them again and install them.

Let me know if all is ok afterwards in regards to the sound.

Please note that after installing either one of these three firmware versions (DMP-A40 FEv2 / Project Z / A50 stock port for A40) the settings may be reset, and the data in the internal storage may be deleted (I'm not sure if it's both, or just the settings getting reset).
Is there any need to update if not experiencing any problems? Mine seems to be fine.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3,652 of 8,224
Is there any need to update if not experiencing any problems? Mine seems to be fine.

Not really, but you could do it just to be sure.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,655 of 8,224
What bitrate is your music ripped at, to have so few songs filling up so much space?
Perhaps DSD 128/256fs approx 6 and 13GB/album pe high rate pcm 352/384 approx 7GB/album. Or maybe he is using the memories as external disk drive
I've done so to share data (a windows iso) between two computers

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #3,656 of 8,224
Well another 24 hrs listening to Project Z ( Plus ) & it's like having a multi channel 5.1 experience in your head, instead of speakers. Incredible resolution ! I'm revisiting albums i love & even those i didn't care so much for & it's like a completely new take on them.
can u please share your sound settings? interested to know how to do to give a multi channel experience, thx!

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,657 of 8,224
Anybody here enjoying the Sony Remote for WM1 players (Sony RMT-NWS20)?
I would like to know if it is draining much battery as the player has to have Bluetooth on the whole time?
Yes, I’ve been using the remote for over a year now and cant live without it as i usually sit away from my rig with long headphone cables and the remote is a must have for my shuffle mode listening. The remote doesnt drain battery as far as i know as there is a dedicated remote on and off switch. So i think this just activates a low power bluetooth mode only for the remote as opposed to the main bluetooth switch. And also if there’s no input on the remote for about 15 mins or so it turns off and the connection is terminated anyway.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #3,658 of 8,224
I just received delivery of a Sony WM1A. This time the box wasn't empty and the DAP sat in the box like a work of beauty. It really is a gorgeous looking DAP. I have played some tracks paired with my Sennheiser HD600 and the sound quality is sublime.

I will install the DMP-WM1FEv2 firmware and report back. If this sounds better than the stock firmware (which I know it will) then I will be very impressed.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #3,659 of 8,224
can u please share your sound settings? interested to know how to do to give a multi channel experience, thx!

Well, i'm talking in terms of the bit rate. All my music is converted to DSD 2.8. ( Yes, some people would scorn me ! ) but for some reason the resolution goes to another level. On the DMP-Z1 thread every owner has said it's another level, so i'm assuming this sound is being reproduced, or @MrWalkman has some magic powers ?? ( I did just check sound settings & it's on Direct Source, which i haven't changed. ) I think if you're listening to DSD you can't actually change the sound settings ??
All i know since downloading the firmware, the quality of the whole sound spectrum has gone to a level i have never heard before & this is replicated listening via speakers, hence my comparison to listening to 5.1 multi channel discs.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,660 of 8,224
Mr. Walkman,

In term of sound signature, is Project Z (classic) the same as FEv2 (classic) or Project Z (classic) is still a little organic?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back