Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #3,601 of 8,224
Is it possible that the Z and FEv2 are the same size and named the same when downloaded?

Yes, if you take a look inside you'll see that both firmwares are in there.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,605 of 8,224
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3,606 of 8,224
i have been rotating between FEv2 plus/classic versions on my wm1a , enjoying both and just trying to see which one wins out in the end :xf_cool:

oh, and the HOLD button 'switch' is just Genius

great job mr walkman

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #3,607 of 8,224
Bummer. I may need to revert to DMP-A40. Still it is amazing to have all these great choices. Thanks.
And thanks for making so easy to change/revert!

Hey, I checked now on my A40 with the J region, and I can see the "Remote Control Settings" menu.

This menu will only show up on 2 or 3 regions - I know at least J and E.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,608 of 8,224
Hey, I checked now on my A40 with the J region, and I can see the "Remote Control Settings" menu.

This menu will only show up on 2 or 3 regions - I know at least J and E.
What! (World Trade Federation!) I made sure it was on the J setting. I have already reverted back to DMP-40, but simple to change & check again. Which version is yours @? FEv2, or Z? or something else?

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,609 of 8,224
What! (World Trade Federation!) I made sure it was on the J setting. I have already reverted back to DMP-40, but simple to change & check again. Which version is yours @? FEv2, or Z? or something else?

Project Z, but it doesn't matter, at least as long as it's one of these newly released firmware versions (including the A50-stock-based unofficial stock update).

The button at the top of the Settings list is not visible, as that place is occupied by other buttons, but the Remote option can be found down in the list.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #3,610 of 8,224
After spending a decent amount of time with Project Z Plus on my ZX300, I switched back to FEv2 Plus. To me, FEv2 Plus sounds supremely neutral, clean and clear, with gobs of space and detail. Project Z in comparison sounded overly warm to me, I’d go so far as to say dark, and I felt like the balance of the sound was off. I use the JVC FDX1, which I don’t perceive as overly warm but they may be on the warmer side because with the Project Z sound it was too much. By contrast the FEv2 sounds lively and neutral (not bright).

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,611 of 8,224
Project Z, but it doesn't matter, at least as long as it's one of these newly released firmware versions (including the A50-stock-based unofficial stock update).

The button at the top of the Settings list is not visible, as that place is occupied by other buttons, but the Remote option can be found down in the list.
Well, I had scrolled down and didn't find it. I'll try again in a while (after dinner). For me with my use of the A45 as the travel DAP the remote is a must - worth more to me than having the WM-Port line out.
Easy to change again and try.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,612 of 8,224
Well, I had scrolled down and didn't find it. I'll try again in a while (after dinner). For me with my use of the A45 as the travel DAP the remote is a must - worth more to me than having the WM-Port line out.
Easy to change again and try.

1612659603403.png

1612659645048.png

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #3,613 of 8,224
First of all,I'm truly thankful I have the option to try so many amazing FW, thanks to the legendary MrWalkman.

I just went back to the FEv2 FW and sound tunning, and back to China region. Reason for the change is that for my ears that sound is more balance, and things have a better resolution when I'm listening to Dunu Zen. Maybe I should have tried other IEM, but for now I'm really enjoying Dunu Zen and in that combination, FE v2 sounds the best.

I'm really considering getting my Walkman modded, I really want to hear how much better it can get.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #3,615 of 8,224
Did not find it there before. Begs the question, under the unit info is there also the section specific to the J region, Certificates? That was not present so I used the Dest tool to insure that I had J region. It said I did. But I still did not have Certificates present. (?!)
Thanks for your attention to this,

That is not showing up in firmware versions of these smaller players.

Instead, you will see the Remote option, or the "MUSICCLIP" folder in the internal storage, for example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back