SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Dec 4, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #151 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Yes! But you are always sitting in the same concert hall ... even when the recording is in open air (live) or in a studio or, or, or... this is the limit of the beautifull R10, just my two cents....

Best!
Nicola

Actually I dont find this to be true. A recent micro-meet and several mega-meets in the past have shown me that the R-10 is incredibly versatile in producing an accurate and enveloping soundstage that is almost on par with the K1000 for air and more accurate than the K1000 by a fair margin.

What the R-10 doesnt do well at all is rock music...especially studio recordings...live concerts again come alive but the studio recordings fail to impress on the R-10.

But thats a small "compromise" I am willing to make if someone decides to give away their R10 free of charge to me
wink.gif

LOL

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #152 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafp23
You don't need to be afraid...
The R10 just makes musik in a unique always pleasant way...
for me it is like sitting in a concert hall...

greetings j.

No trust me on this one - fear is good. Have you seen my gear list in my sig? I am trying to adhear to the "Just say no" campaign.
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #153 of 228
Guys I prefer when a person tells "I like that color in the R10" or "I love that kind of sound" and other things like that. I have too loved A LOT the R10, but I have no any problem to declare that today this is not the best headphones thinking to the best hi-fi sound reproduction.

There are two cans first of them: Qualia 010 and Omega II and. (The Orpheus I do not know).

Best!
Nicola

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #155 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Here's one way to fix that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

wink.gif

Thanks Hirsch... nice to meet you ...

------------------------------------------------------------

I have now the first point for think that the Qualia is "the best" or the most advanced can today in the world.

I would ask even to those that do not like the Qualia if they can tell a kind of music that the 010 goes better ??? Wich one? Classical, rock, jazz... ???

If they are honest, it is impossible to define the best kind of music for them.
After 3 mounts listening to the Qualia I cannot say if they are better for classical or havy metal, better in recordings with just one voice and one instrument or others with the biggest orchestra...

Anyone can speak of another can in the world that have this "universal" quality? Let me know men !!!

The R10: sure no, the Omega II, no, the RS-1 or PS-1, no, the Orpheus (even if I do not heard personally) but reading a lot of your impressions I could repeat another no.

Best!
Nicola

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #156 of 228
Quote:

What the R-10 doesnt do well at all is rock music...especially studio recordings...live concerts again come alive but the studio recordings fail to impress on the R-10.

Well, considering I listen almost exclusively to rock, I guess I have to disagree!
orphsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #157 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Gene, I'm not picking on you here, and in fact my feelings towards the HD650's pretty much echo yours. I think they are an excellent value. Yet, by the time you toss in an aftermarket cable (the Zu Mobius and Moon Audio Silver Dragon are my favorites among the 8 that I've owned) the price does get up high enough to also consider some other options. Depending on your system and sonic preferences, the K1000, CD3000 with woody earcups, Stax 404, and Senn HE60 (if you can find a pair) are all strong contenders in the $500-ish range. Of these, I think only the Stax 404's would be in the price range of the HD650's without an aftermarket cable. UE-5c might be another option, although I have not heard them.

Wayne, stop picking on me already
wink.gif
, I am very fragile, and may break into tears at any moment
eek.gif

Actually, I must agree with you re: the K1000, Stax 404 and HE 60 Baby O. They are certainly in the same league as the HD650's, and many will likely prefer them - hell, in many listening sessions with the K1000's, I find myself declaring, "these really are great phones", and the HE60's are wonderful as well. Each of those, however, require out of the mainstream amps which make them more of a specialty phone than the 650's, if that means anything. Certainly more limited options for amplifiers, but if your point is sound for the money, yes, these can play on my team, and it would be individual preference that decides.

Note my omission of the CD3000's. This is just my opinion of them in stock form. I just had 10 minutes or so with your woodies, so cannot say yet if they make this class, but they definitely sounded better to me than stock CD3k's, which are not my particular cup of tea, but Larry's magic added nice attributes of fuller, not so shrill sound with no apparent lack of detail. Next time we meet, I must spend more time with them.

Dec 4, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #158 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Well, considering I listen almost exclusively to rock, I guess I have to disagree!
orphsmile.gif

I'm with Markl on this one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I cannot find a single recording of any kind that the R10's don't do well. Some folks say the R10's are 'colored' or that they change the character of the music by adding a certain 'euphoria' but I just think they extract all sorts of details that most other headphones miss, and do really wonderful things to the mids. Other folks say that the bass is lacking, and this has been debated to death, but in the right system with the right amplification, the bass response, fullness, detail, decay, and weight is as good or better than any headphone I've ever heard. The PS-1's and Omega II's may have "more" bass than the R10's but it not qualitatively better. In any case, the R10's are my dynamic headphones of choice for most music most of the time, live or sudio, rock, roll or polka. And I'm not in any way 'defending' the R10's, just my opinion.

Dec 4, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #159 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Note my omission of the CD3000's. This is just my opinion of them in stock form. I just had 10 minutes or so with your woodies, so cannot say yet if they make this class, but they definitely sounded better to me than stock CD3k's, which are not my particular cup of tea, but Larry's magic added nice attributes of fuller, not so shrill sound with no apparent lack of detail. Next time we meet, I must spend more time with them.

Gene, I almost forgot the CD3000 woodies in my list as well, but was listening to them the other night with some Pink Floyd and (with a little help from the brilliant music) they really took me to another planet! I wish I had a stock pair of CD3000 so that I could do some comparisons. Trying to explain the differences from memory would be pointless, but IMO the pair that I now have will definitely play in the K1000 / Stax 404 / HD650 league.

You've definitely made a good point concerning the HD650's being compatible with almost all mainstream amps while the other phones I've mentioned do not provide this level of flexibility. With the Maestro ZR, the HD650/Zu is so good it numbs the mind. Totally effortless, natural, smooth, and oh so realistic.

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #160 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
With the Maestro ZR, the HD650/Zu is so good it numbs the mind. Totally effortless, natural, smooth, and oh so realistic.

[size=medium]Double Dog Ditto !!!!![/size]

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #161 of 228
I'm with you on the HD650s/Maestro combination Wayne. I used them with the Silver Dragon instead of the Zu but the Maestro (which was actually voiced for the R-10s) brought out so much from the HD650s that I was stunned.

I liked the HD650s very much prior to experiencing them with the Maestro. And with the MPX3 or the Emmeline II they were very respectable phones, well, top notch, phones....but with that Maestro they were a different animal altogether. Still, as good as they were, the R-10s were not only more refined but more coherent as well.

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #162 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
I liked the HD650s very much prior to experiencing them with the Maestro...

but with that Maestro they were a different animal altogether. Still, as good as they were, the R-10s were not only more refined but more coherent as well.

Michael, I'm with you on this as well. The R10/Maestro combo is even better, but this would be expected in terms of the price differential between the HD650's and R10's. What surprised me is that the performance gap between these two great cans is so very narrow when using the Maestro. (BTW folks, this is the same Maestro we're talking about - the one that I bought from mbratrud - including the tubes that he generously tossed in). The Silver Dragon cable is next up.

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #163 of 228
Quote:

".....What surprised me is that the performance gap between these two great cans is so very narrow when using the Maestro....."

Guys are you serious? Do you really feel the sound of the HD650 in any way close to the unique seductive sound of the R-10???
Shut!!! I must be deaf then, IMO not even close.....One more time, that difference in opinions shows that we all hear completelly different....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #165 of 228
Sov....note that we are talking about the HD650s used with the Maestro. Not that I don't think the HD650s are great headphones but Wayne and I were making the comparison using the Maestro....and if the R-10s were not there for a head to head comparison a listener might decide to go no further than the Maestro/HD650s (which I only heard using the Silver Dragons but not the Zu Wayne was mentioning).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back