SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Dec 4, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #136 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Tyrion - lemme guess...mike bought the R-10 from mbatrud and sent them to you?
eggosmile.gif

You can forget about the HP1- HPA1
very_evil_smiley.gif
I promised mike that I would ship them to you on the 20th...it may be a few days this way or that so bear with me. If I havent bought them by then you can most certainly have them for audition
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are growing on me every session...and I am using the crappiest source you can imagine
rolleyes.gif

Cant wait to use my main source
frown.gif

Close, they haven't arrived yet. Keep in mind that I am in MD and NYC between 12/25 and 1/1. Remember, we should not break our promises.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #137 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey what is this???? A double mutiny???? I bet you GS is a panthers fan that would explain everything.

Go Redwings! Guru and I are going to have a mini meet in NYC with the r10's and HP-1's at the Qualia Store.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #138 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Close, they haven't arrived yet. Keep in mind that I am in MD and NYC between 12/25 and 1/1. Remember, we should not break our promises.
biggrin.gif

Dude there is no way I am going to let you ship them to me in time for the UK christmas post rush. Remember the grace+sennheiser hd650 incident when they "forgot" to tell me they had it for two weeks.
eek.gif
Unless I fedex them over (unlikely as it would be expensive) then you will get them until Jan. Anyway there is something else I have seen...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #139 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Dude there is no way I am going to let you ship them to me in time for the UK christmas post rush. Remember the grace+sennheiser hd650 incident when they "forgot" to tell me they had it for two weeks.
eek.gif
Unless I fedex them over (unlikely as it would be expensive) then you will get them until Jan. Anyway there is something else I have seen...
rolleyes.gif

So know one accuses us of hijacking this thread, r10's rule. I will send them to you whenever you ask. It might be cheaper to just buy me a plane ticket and I will deliver them.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #140 of 228
Quote:

So know one accuses us of hijacking this thread, r10's rule. I will send them to you whenever you ask. It might be cheaper to just buy me a plane ticket and I will deliver them.

Sorry dude no money. Skint
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #141 of 228
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I am in NYC at the same time
eek.gif
We will definitely meet up there...you can drop your wife off at the shopping mall and we'll sneak off to the qualia store for our own "christmas" shipping
tongue.gif

Why dont you buy a Qualia and allow me to build you a maxxed out Dynahi
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #142 of 228
Quote:

Tickets to London from NYC are $300.00 via United through some special deals. I have pre-booked for February
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #143 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbhifi
Recently spent an afternoon listening to R10s, CD3000, 650/Cardas. Meridian 508.20 and Singlepower Supra (current model w/ multiple upgrades) and a current model Singlepower Maestro.

...snip ...

In terms of satisfying the above noted objectives of smooth, flat, frequency response with good extension in the bass and treble- The SENN. 650 / CARDAS combo is the clearly superior set-up. Great tight, reasonably extended bass response, with smooth FLAT frequency response up thru the (again) reasonably extended highs. I feel that FLAT FREQUNCY RESPONSE is CRITICAL to faithfully reproducing the musical event. Peaks and Valleys, Bloats and Leanness all detract from the performance. These characteristics may be entertaining, but I think a knowledgeable listener will grow tired of them, over time.

SONY R10- Very seductive tonal quality thru-out alot of the frequency range. The mids on up were smooth, warm and nicely bloomy, with-out deviating TOO far from flat response. There seemed to be a general and very PLEASANT Honey Colored coating to the sound. Some would call it a tubey quality. I, BTW, prefer clean tube amps to solid state. The BASS SUCKED!! It was ill defined, very bloaty and lacked decent extension and slam. In terms of slam- it was like hitting a baseball with tuna instead of a bat!! My focus was drawn away from the music by this miserable bass response.

To get this thread somewhat back o/t, I will chime in, after holding off since first seeing it, and being once again reminded of how we all hear and appreciate differently.

fbhifi, you blew me away with the comments regarding the R10's bass. I am in complete and total disagreement with you on that one, and wonder what material you listened to? In my system, to my ears, with Meridian 588 source through a Maestro or Stealth, the bass is glorious - deep, controlled, articulate and true. I appreciate your love of and quest for "smooth, flat frequency response with good extension in the bass and treble", and it may be that the R10's are lacking in absolute flatness - I have no way of knowing one way or the other bacause this is something I cannot measure. Others have said the R10's are somewhat colored, to which I always respond, I like that color!

Now, I must admit to also loving the HD650's. I am on record in other posts in calling them perhaps the absolute best value in headphones because of their accuracy and ability to just get better and better as the system around them improves. I just happen to love my R10's more. For that matter, I also love AT L3000's and Stax Omega II's more than 650's, but both of them are big $$ compared to the 650. In the price range of the 650, nothing compares, and I will agree with you that it rules.

Since the setup you heard the R10's with (Meridian 508.20 and Supra/Maestro) is very close to mine, I am very curious to learn what CD's you heard. Perhaps if I auditioned some of the same ones, I might get a feel for what you heard.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #144 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
In the price range of the 650, nothing compares, and I will agree with you that it rules.

Gene, I'm not picking on you here, and in fact my feelings towards the HD650's pretty much echo yours. I think they are an excellent value. Yet, by the time you toss in an aftermarket cable (the Zu Mobius and Moon Audio Silver Dragon are my favorites among the 8 that I've owned) the price does get up high enough to also consider some other options. Depending on your system and sonic preferences, the K1000, CD3000 with woody earcups, Stax 404, and Senn HE60 (if you can find a pair) are all strong contenders in the $500-ish range. Of these, I think only the Stax 404's would be in the price range of the HD650's without an aftermarket cable. UE-5c might be another option, although I have not heard them.

Dec 4, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #145 of 228
As I said earlier, I heard the same system Gene described above, since it was his gear I used. From the moment I put them on I could not believe what I heard. To me this was as close as you get to listening to speakers and still be wearing them on your head (I put the k1000 in a different category from the typical headphone). I prefer speakers to headphones so for me this is important (unfortunately the r10's are just too much money). They did not do anything that I didn't like. I agree with Gene regarding the bass. I like deep but well defined bass. I don't listen to the types of music where booming unrefined bass is a requirement so the r10's would be my can of choice if money was not an object. This is based upon the cans I've tried.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #146 of 228
One of these days I hope to actually hear dolifant's R-10s. I could only hope to become a member of this crazy cult. Tried for a while to buy a pair and had no luck. Suffice to say I am happy with my PS-1s (and almost afraid to hear the R-10s).
eek.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #147 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
(and almost afraid to hear the R-10s).
eek.gif

You don't need to be afraid...
The R10 just makes musik in a unique always pleasant way...
for me it is like sitting in a concert hall...

greetings j.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #148 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafp23
You don't need to be afraid...
The R10 just makes musik in a unique always pleasant way...
for me it is like sitting in a concert hall...

greetings j.

Yes! But you are always sitting in the same concert hall ... even when the recording is in open air (live) or in a studio or, or, or... this is the limit of the beautifull R10, just my two cents....

Best!
Nicola

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #149 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
What do you suggest, a blockhead? I need to get a source that is balanced, I guess, and XLR cables for the Senns, is that right? Are there any balanced amps with single ended inputs, or is that ridiculous?

I am unlikely to get yet another source.

First off, I wouldn't spend one cent until/unless you heard the balanced rig first at a meet, or, ideally, getting someone to send you a Cardas Balanced Headphone Cable and a 'temp' Blockhead or Gilmore Dynamic Reference Headphone/Dynahi amp to audition... and yeah, XLR connections are the way to go, balanced rig-wise, Senn or no...

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #150 of 228
Quote:

Yes! But you are always sitting in the same concert hall ... even when the recording is in open air (live) or in a studio or, or, or... this is the limit of the beautifull R10, just my two cents....

I disagree with Nik on this. But I listen to different kind of music than he does!
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back