SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Dec 1, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #121 of 228
WulfmanJax:

I believe the forum is well aware of your affinity for the MDR-R10. However, you have little to no experience with any other headphone or gear for the matter. Singing their high-praises when you have heard nothing else, and simply going with a "recommended" configuration hardly qualifies you as experienced. You do not seem to be a bad guy, but you need to calm down a bit.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #122 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
WulfmanJax:

I believe the forum is well aware of your affinity for the MDR-R10. However, you have little to no experience with any other headphone or gear for the matter. Singing their high-praises when you have heard nothing else, and simply going with a "recommended" configuration hardly qualifies you as experienced. You do not seem to be a bad guy, but you need to calm down a bit.

Thanks to my meeting the guy that introduced me to the guy that i bought my R10s from i've gotten to try out ALOT of gear in the past 1 1/2 months or so including the Omegas (for about 30 minutes), Several Senn (including the 650s), several Grados, and some Beyers and various amps and players (i've been more focused on headphones). The guy in Dallas had a HUGE high end gear collection (he's who had the Omegas). The local guy has quite a bitthough and has been quite gracious enough to lone me some of his (we've actually become good friends).

I was kind of surprised how much this whole "high end" audio thing has in common with my guitars/amps hobby. The sounds and characteristics used to desribe both are really simular and i'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to guitar and amps sound so the transition has been smooth and the learning curve, errr, well the opposite of steep.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #123 of 228
Thanks for the advice.

I do have good cables for the Senn 650s (Silver Dragons) and I use either a BelCanto Pl-1 or a modded Sony SCD555ES, or I use a TriVista DAC21 as sources. Amplification is EarMaxPro or Gilmore V2/SE. Maybe not the pennultimate front ends, but surely not too shabby.

I hear what I hear. To me the mids and highs are more articulated with the R-10s. The bass is not huge but enough, and not bloated. The quality of the bass is fine.

With the Senn 650s there is a veil, or some sort of distance between me and the sound, like a barrier . Maybe it needs balanced dual mono amplification like the Blockhead, I never tried it. I didn't men to demean the Senn 650s by saying I still enjoy the music with them. When I first got them, I had never heard such fine headphone sound and spent many hours in enjoyment. I simply prefer the sound of the R-10s with my setup. I won't sell.

I respect your opinion, but I have my own, and am happy I bought the R-10s.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #124 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
Thanks for the advice.

I do have good cables for the Senn 650s (Silver Dragons) and I use either a BelCanto Pl-1 or a modded Sony SCD555ES, or I use a TriVista DAC21 as sources. Amplification is EarMaxPro or Gilmore V2/SE. Maybe not the pennultimate front ends, but surely not too shabby.

I hear what I hear. To me the mids and highs are more articulated with the R-10s. The bass is not huge but enough, and not bloated. The quality of the bass is fine.

With the Senn 650s there is a veil, or some sort of distance between me and the sound, like a barrier . Maybe it needs balanced dual mono amplification like the Blockhead, I never tried it. I didn't men to demean the Senn 650s by saying I still enjoy the music with them. When I first got them, I had never heard such fine headphone sound and spent many hours in enjoyment. I simply prefer the sound of the R-10s with my setup. I won't sell.

I respect your opinion, but I have my own, and am happy I bought the R-10s.

Any advice for the beginning musician? (refer to my post about 3/4 down on this page).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #125 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
Don't suppose you'd like to ship your Qualias all the way to Oklahoma to let me audition them, eh?
biggrin.gif
One question though: My main complaint about the Omegas is that they didn't really seem to have any kind of "punch" to them. I could hear every last small detail, but it was like the headphones were so busy making me "hear" the music they forgot to make me "feel" the music. Do the Qualias have the same problem? Because i know the R10s have plenty of punch when they need to.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Qualia is not a electrostatic system, but has more details fo any other electrostatics cans. Punch ??? The only one problem is to keep good your ears, man !!! You have all the power you whant, "punch" is not a problem for them !!!

Best!
Nicola

Dec 2, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #126 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The Qualia is not a electrostatic system, but has more details fo any other electrostatics cans. Punch ??? The only one problem is to keep good your ears, man !!! You have all the power you whant, "punch" is not a problem for them !!!

Best!
Nicola

Haha, yours and others enthusiasm about them have made me want to try them all the more. But i guess i shall have to wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #127 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Agree!

And now, when you will try a Qualia 010?

Best!
Nicola

I have, with the same sources, amps and music... let's just say that the 010 is one of the headphones that bests the HD650s, even in balanced mode...
icon10.gif
I love the Qualias, and may invest in a pair soon, Nik- you're right- they are the 'next level'...

dolifant, I know what you're hearing, and I see the HD650's unusual take on a large, deep 'soundstage' as the 'veil' you are perceiving; the precise placement and clean projection of each instrument/sound source within that large Senn HD650 soundstage is greatly enhanced in a good balanced setup. However, I happen to like the way HD650s sound. I like the way balanced HD650s sound better.

If the R10s are it for you, dolifant, you've certainly put in the effort to evaluate both the Senns and the R10s. It's no mystery to me why you enjoy them...
icon10.gif

I DO think you owe it to yourself to try a well set up balanced Senn rig... you won't sell your R10s, but you'll smile a lot...
icon10.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #128 of 228
Quote:

I DO think you owe it to yourself to try a well set up balanced Senn rig... you won't sell your R10s, but you'll smile a lot...

What do you suggest, a blockhead? I need to get a source that is balanced, I guess, and XLR cables for the Senns, is that right? Are there any balanced amps with single ended inputs, or is that ridiculous?

I am unlikely to get yet another source.

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #130 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Do the r10's perform well with tube amps or SS better?

I only had about 4 hours with the agile_one's r10's and Maestro and it sounded pretty sweet to me. I also used them with the the MPX3 and Eddie Current 2A3 with the same result, all good. However, I don't recall ever using a ss amp with the r10's.

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #131 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I only had about 4 hours with the agile_one's r10's and Maestro and it sounded pretty sweet to me. I also used them with the the MPX3 and Eddie Current 2A3 with the same result, all good. However, I don't recall ever using a ss amp with the r10's.

Looks like I am in luck then
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #132 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion

Looks like you will be able to spend more than a few hours this time round.....
tongue.gif

BTW the hp-1's and hpa-1 will ship on the 20th dec to you.

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #133 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Looks like you will be able to spend more than a few hours this time round.....
tongue.gif

BTW the hp-1's and hpa-1 will ship on the 20th dec to you.

I will be in headphone heaven, if only for a short time. I am looking forward to their arrival. I promise I will not hold the r10's hostage for too long.

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #134 of 228
Tyrion - lemme guess...mike bought the R-10 from mbatrud and sent them to you?
eggosmile.gif

You can forget about the HP1- HPA1
very_evil_smiley.gif
I promised mike that I would ship them to you on the 20th...it may be a few days this way or that so bear with me. If I havent bought them by then you can most certainly have them for audition
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are growing on me every session...and I am using the crappiest source you can imagine
rolleyes.gif

Cant wait to use my main source
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #135 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Tyrion - lemme guess...mike bought the R-10 from mbatrud and sent them to you?
eggosmile.gif

You can forget about the HP1- HPA1
very_evil_smiley.gif
I promised mike that I would ship them to you on the 20th...it may be a few days this way or that so bear with me. If I havent bought them by then you can most certainly have them for audition
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are growing on me every session...and I am using the crappiest source you can imagine
rolleyes.gif

Cant wait to use my main source
frown.gif

Hey what is this???? A double mutiny???? I bet you GS is a panthers fan that would explain everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back