Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #6,856 of 7,711
This may sound silly but are all ZX1 the same size?
The reason I ask is that I have the Malaysian version and I need a case from Japan. It's a clear case with the back protection and don't want to be stuck with a $42 no-go.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6,857 of 7,711
This may sound silly but are all ZX1 the same size?
The reason I ask is that I have the Malaysian version and I need a case from Japan. It's a clear case with the back protection and don't want to be stuck with a $42 no-go.

You can get something like this until you get something better, at least you have protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Gel-Skin-Case-for-Sony-Walkman-NWZ-ZX1-Rubber-Cover-Screen-Protector-/141356480490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item20e980b7ea

something better, but cost more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ray-out-WALKMAN-NW-ZX1-flap-type-leather-jacket-leather-black-RT-SZX1LC2-B/111615103708?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29006%26meid%3D5f7b26e5f18e4ec9bd4823c9013afd4d%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D22%26sd%3D161390076396

do search around, there are priced differently.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6,860 of 7,711
  Update here - post #6843

I was a little disappointed when I noticed the other link had expired, apparently I should have paid closer attention to the previous page. 
biggrin.gif

Thank you so much! Now you're my favourite Russian, too! 
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #6,861 of 7,711
It's me again, I apologise.

Installing the update worked perfectly fine, thanks again! But the build number now says 1.14.0003 and not 1.14.0002. Is that something I should worry about? I definitely own a European model. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #6,864 of 7,711

Thats everyones guess. V 1.13 could as well be the last FW update for ZX1 outside of Japan.

There's nothing wrong with V1.14 for non Japanese/Chinese ZX1 models. See my previous post.

Don't think Sony pulled it because there was something wrong with it. It just doesnt make sense. There were a handful of non japanese unit owners who downloaded this update before it got pulled. You'd think a serious company like Sony would have notified the affected users if there were any issues with this firmware version.  

Regards

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6,865 of 7,711

Hi,

Its been almost 2 weeks since I upgraded my Australian ZX1 to 1.14 (thanks to yurix for the upload). Here are my current observations.

Sound
While there was no significant change in the overall sonic signature (which many here characterise as somewhat clinical and i dont disagree) I have observed the noticable improvement in instrument separation and sligthly increased sound stage. This is particulary true for bass, that stands out more in the mix. Bass also gained some additional weight and its touch more rounded/better defined. There are differences in the highs also. Initally, I thought the highs sounded rolled off. It took an hour or so of listening to realise why I felt that way. The previous high end shimmer (mostly noticable on brighter masterings) has gone now.  

I did the test with all sound enhancements turned off(plus volume hack) and using FLACs of 44/16 CD'rips and some 96/24 downloads from HD tracks. Most notable improvement was with 44/16 rips.
  Regards

After hours of listening to the ZX1 with the newest update installed, I have to say that the observations Dinche made a few pages back in regard to the sound quality are correct as far as I can tell. I admit that I lack the vocabulary to describe the sonic characteristics that have changed, it's clearly not my area of expertise and I apologise for that. In my humble opinion the newest firmware update, which has yet to be released (again), creates a wider, more realistic soundstage. What is more, the bass sounds more defined and gives fresh impetus to the overall experience of listening to your favourite tracks. I don't say that the difference is night and day, many who accuse the ZX1 of sounding too clinical will still not change their minds. But the fact that Sony panders to its most demanding customers should be welcomed.

I'd like to see what other owners here think. Maybe it's only the placebo effect speaking after all.
atsmile.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #6,866 of 7,711
Hi Dinche,

I transferred a oma file to my nwz-zx1 (European) and it don´t play it. The Eurpean model doesn't have the oma codec. So i'm wondering if there is a way to install the oma codec. Do you know any way to do it?

Many thanks.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #6,867 of 7,711
Thanks for the recommendations.
I'm actually eyeing this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-out-RT-SZX1C4-B-Full-Armor-Jacket-Hard-Case-for-Sony-WALKMAN-NW-ZX1-Matt-/261556855190?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce600e196
I haveone these on an older Z1070 model and I have to say its probably the best cases for these walkmans. (for me atleast) No scratches or dents on the player but the case does.
The silicone case on my A17 sometimes slips out esp. near the screen and dust is somehow accumulating near the ports.... heat attraction???

BTW, anyone know how to stop the player from scanning all the time after powering it on?? Initially when I purchased the ZX1 there was no scanning with the few files pre-installed. its not bothersome, but its a pain when you are anxiously waiting to play music.
Quote:

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,868 of 7,711
For additional USB support I can recommend the mobile Server from Sony: WC-G20 You have to install Sonys android software on the Walkman and can use USB devices and fullsize SD cards.

Btw: is there any information how to open or disassemble the ZX1 to change the battery?

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,869 of 7,711
  Hi Dinche,

I transferred a oma file to my nwz-zx1 (European) and it don´t play it. The Eurpean model doesn't have the oma codec. So i'm wondering if there is a way to install the oma codec. Do you know any way to do it?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Never done this myself mate. I transfered some oma's to my ZX1 in the past through the Media Go but they get transcoded to mp3. I installed the X-Application on my Vaio last night in order to test ATRAC transfer but I cant get it to (see) recognise my ZX1. Funny I plug in my ol' NWH1 MD and it sees it.

Regards

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,870 of 7,711

Hi,

Never done this myself mate. I transfered some oma's to my ZX1 in the past through the Media Go but they get transcoded to mp3. I installed the X-Application on my Vaio last night in order to test ATRAC transfer but I cant get it to (see) recognise my ZX1. Funny I plug in my ol' NWH1 MD and it sees it.

Regards

Hi dinche,

The units of nwz-zx1 that are sold in Europe don't play Atrac and plays FLAC. Atrac only apears in the Japanese units. I can't understand why SONY do this type of marketing. Atrac 3 is lossless and gapless. I think that if i made a flac and atrac from the same wav file. the flac has mucch more bytes than the atrac file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back