Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #6,842 of 7,711
  Hello everyone!
At your request, post the link to the firmware file 1.14.002. Installation in Windows.
http://dropmefiles.com/EiVT2
Powered by the European version of the player exactly the rest try!
Good Luck!

Hi Yurix67, can you reupload it again as the link is expired? thanks!

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #6,844 of 7,711
This seems to have happened since I updated to 1.14

And I always power down my ZX-1

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #6,847 of 7,711
This seems to have happened since I updated to 1.14

And I always power down my ZX-1

Hi,

Its been almost 2 weeks since I upgraded my Australian ZX1 to 1.14 (thanks to yurix for the upload). Here are my current observations.

Apart from the advertised compatibility with BCR -NW10 cradle, that works perfectly with my SRSX9 and PHA2 there are other non undisclosed/unpublished changes that took place. Its only when I started listening through the headphone out, I was suprised by the change of sound this firmware brought. No previous FW upgrades did this before.

Sound
While there was no significant change in the overall sonic signature (which many here characterise as somewhat clinical and i dont disagree) I have observed the noticable improvement in instrument separation and sligthly increased sound stage. This is particulary true for bass, that stands out more in the mix. Bass also gained some additional weight and its touch more rounded/better defined. There are differences in the highs also. Initally, I thought the highs sounded rolled off. It took an hour or so of listening to realise why I felt that way. The previous high end shimmer (mostly noticable on brighter masterings) has gone now.  

I did the test with all sound enhancements turned off(plus volume hack) and using FLACs of 44/16 CD'rips and some 96/24 downloads from HD tracks. Most notable improvement was with 44/16 rips.

Other observations
It is possible to change the background colour of the stock player
Hi-Res flag is now bright bold yellow (same as ZX2,A10)

Battery life
Took a significant hit. I have all but (core apps) turned off, wifi off, airplane mode on etc and battery usage increased by cca 20 %. Particulary when idle. It goes from full charge to 85 % overnight without any use.

Regards

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6,853 of 7,711
So this latest firmware 1.14 only adds light sound improvement with a hit on the battery life which is already slim, why upgrade? I'm currently on firmware 1.13.0009, kernal 3.0.31 and Android version 4.1.1. I have done no upgrades since getting this several months ago. Am I missing anything by not updating anything?  What can I update at this point, is there an Android update or is the 1.14 just a Sony O/S update? I was following this thread for a little while then work got the better of me for a while. I was blown away by the size of this thread since I was absent.

Thanks, Jeff

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #6,854 of 7,711
I have noticed no changes in battery life or sound quality. Being able to change to music player background to black has been a nice change, as I'm frequently listening to music ZX1 on an airplane or other dark places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back