Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,436 of 7,711
  @castleofargh

I think one reason that A10 has the sound like E series may be the engineer who creating this is the same person who makes the E series. I met him at the launch event in Thailand where he also showed the circuit boards of the old E or S series and A10 circuit board.

From the side I saw. Both of them have almost the same component except the amplifier section that A10 use POSCAP for removing noise from power source.

As expected by me a few pages back,,,disappointing to say the least
mad.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #6,437 of 7,711

As expected by me a few pages back,,,disappointing to say the least
mad.gif

From my testing in the event using CD900ST. I think its sound is not that bad. Its characteristic is focus on bass and mid-range compare to my ZX1. It also has a very good detail and good stereo image.

If the sound of HRA music is too clear, A10 can downsampling the HRA sound to CD quality for CD like sound.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #6,438 of 7,711
  @castleofargh

I think one reason that A10 has the sound like E series may be the engineer who creating this is the same person who makes the E series. I met him at the launch event in Thailand where he also showed the circuit boards of the old E or S series and A10 circuit board.

From the side I saw. Both of them have almost the same component except the amplifier section that A10 use POSCAP for removing noise from power source.

wow I would have soooo kidnapped him. then force him to tell me what "clear stereo" was really doing on old walkmans(I mean technically). and why there is a 5pin female jack in my A15 that doesn't have noise cancelling? and then I would have cut one or 2 toes to remind him of asking for a low profile line out plug on next models.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #6,439 of 7,711

From my testing in the event using CD900ST. I think its sound is not that bad. Its characteristic is focus on bass and mid-range compare to my ZX1. It also has a very good detail and good stereo image.

If the sound of HRA music is too clear, A10 can downsampling the HRA sound to CD quality for CD like sound.

Sure its not bad,,,but we need comparisons vs x3 and x5.
Its all relative brother
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #6,440 of 7,711
  wow I would have soooo kidnapped him. then force him to tell me what "clear stereo" was really doing on old walkmans(I mean technically). and why there is a 5pin female jack in my A15 that doesn't have noise cancelling? and then I would have cut one or 2 toes to remind him of asking for a low profile line out plug on next models.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not to forget that stupid sounding dsee ,clear phase,dynamic normaliser too
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #6,441 of 7,711
Anyone have experience with isyncr and zx1? After syncing, tried to open with the native Sony player in zx1, the play list is there but there's no song in it. However the songs are in the player because I see them in the all song list.

And anyone got issue with the drop down menu in portrait mode? I can't do it on mine but in landscape mode, it does

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #6,442 of 7,711
Just a technical beginner question.

If using PHA3 (or any other external DAC) via USB Audio, I'm guessing it will bypass the built in DAC of the source device.

However, will it matter if I for example use my Xperia Z3 Smartphone as a source or my Walkman NWZ-ZX1? The latter has the S-Master HX amplifier, will that one too be bypassed by the external DAC? If so, what's the point of using the Walkman as a source other than any other source device?

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #6,443 of 7,711
  what's the point of using the Walkman as a source other than any other source device?

The S-Master chip is still being used when going through the line out, meaning the ZX1 will still have a distinctly different sound to other DAPs and DACs through the line out. The ZX1 is something quite special through the line out, it offers the most speed and transparency I've heard thanks to its digital/PWM design, this is also present through the Phone out, but the lack of power prevents it from being totally great here.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,444 of 7,711

what's the point of using the Walkman as a source other than any other source device?

The S-Master chip is still being used when going through the line out, meaning the ZX1 will still have a distinctly different sound to other DAPs and DACs through the line out. The ZX1 is something quite special through the line out, it offers the most speed and transparency I've heard thanks to its digital/PWM design, this is also present through the Phone out, but the lack of power prevents it from being totally great here.

he's asking for the digital out, not the analog out.
for digital out, all the source is doing is turn whatever file you play into a basic PCM stream and send it to the external DAC. unless you activate some DSPs or EQ as they're done at the digital level, there shouldn't really be a difference(at least for the 80loudest DB of music).
what you're saying is true however for the analog line out going to the amp.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6,445 of 7,711
By line out, are you referring to using a cable from the WM-PORT that goes to the analog input of the external DAC (e.g. using a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L5-Line-Cable-Walkman/dp/B003UCI2CI)? Wouldn't the digital-to-analog conversion have taken place inside the DAP already then? What would the external DAC add in this case, increaded output power? I understand that some people seem to prefer this option. 

Thinking about buying the MDR-Z7 headphones and will probably invest in a PHA-3AC later as it might be hard for the NWZ-ZX1 to drive them alone.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,447 of 7,711
  So if using the digital input of the external DAC, the source device does not really matter, as the DAC handles all the amplification too? Probably does it well too, I'm just colored by my love for the S-Master HX :)

in your DAP, zx1 or other, you'll have a processor like for a computer doing the lame jobs, running the UI, or extracting the PCM stream from any file to send it to the DAC chipset inside the zx1. that DAC will turn digital PCM into analog signal and usually send that to an amp section who's job is to deliver enough volts to be loud enough and enough current for the headphone to be happy(for the ZX1 it's a little special at the amp section).
when you use an analog line out like the fiio L5 in your link, you take the analog sound going out from the ZX1 DAC chip, and it will go to the amp section of the PH3.
the DAC of the PH3 can't do anything with that signal and will not be used.
but there is an otg cable for the ZX1 that let you take the digital signal before the DAC chip of the ZX1 turns it into analog. and in this case the signal going to the PH3 is digital and will go into the PH3's DAC, to be turned into analog and then sent to the internal amp. so the PH3 will in effect do all the sound job and the ZX1 is just a library provider.

I hope that's clear enough ^_^

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #6,449 of 7,711

in your DAP, zx1 or other, you'll have a processor like for a computer doing the lame jobs, running the UI, or extracting the PCM stream from any file to send it to the DAC chipset inside the zx1. that DAC will turn digital PCM into analog signal and usually send that to an amp section who's job is to deliver enough volts to be loud enough and enough current for the headphone to be happy(for the ZX1 it's a little special at the amp section).
when you use an analog line out like the fiio L5 in your link, you take the analog sound going out from the ZX1 DAC chip, and it will go to the amp section of the PH3.
the DAC of the PH3 can't do anything with that signal and will not be used.
but there is an otg cable for the ZX1 that let you take the digital signal before the DAC chip of the ZX1 turns it into analog. and in this case the signal going to the PH3 is digital and will go into the PH3's DAC, to be turned into analog and then sent to the internal amp. so the PH3 will in effect do all the sound job and the ZX1 is just a library provider.

I hope that's clear enough ^_^

Thanks for your thorough explanation!
The S-Master is an amplification chip, right? So even if I were to use analog line out, like T.R.A.N.C.E suggested, the ZX1 will only convert the signal to analog and then leave amping to the external DAC/amplifier, leaving S-Master HX out of the equation? Or is S-Master also involved in digital-to-analog conversion? 

However, after reading up on the PHA-3, it seems the balanced headphone connection (ideal for MDR-Z7) only works with an all digital input, so that will be the option I'll use. With whatever source/library/transport I'll find useful then. :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #6,450 of 7,711

Thanks for your thorough explanation!
The S-Master is an amplification chip, right? So even if I were to use analog line out, like T.R.A.N.C.E suggested, the ZX1 will only convert the signal to analog and then leave amping to the external DAC/amplifier, leaving S-Master HX out of the equation? Or is S-Master also involved in digital-to-analog conversion? 

However, after reading up on the PHA-3, it seems the balanced headphone connection (ideal for MDR-Z7) only works with an all digital input, so that will be the option I'll use. With whatever source/library/transport I'll find useful then. :)

confused.gif
confused_face(1).gif

i need some lessons in digital and analogue stuff,didn't understand a thing
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back