Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #6,346 of 7,711

Wifi is off, but I keep Clearaudio+ all the time. Is that the problem?

I think u should root it if possible.
It will increase battery life,free up additional ram etc.

I experienced huge improvements in my nexus 7 tablet after rooting and installing new apps that work only for rooted device.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #6,347 of 7,711
  I think u should root it if possible.
It will increase battery life,free up additional ram etc.

I experienced huge improvements in my nexus 7 tablet after rooting and installing new apps that work only for rooted device.

Thanks for the advice. I love my zx1 so such but sometimes I really hope it can be only a music player instead of an android system with a lot of unnecessary pre-installed softwares. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #6,348 of 7,711

Thanks for the advice. I love my zx1 so such but sometimes I really hope it can be only a music player instead of an android system with a lot of unnecessary pre-installed softwares. 
confused_face.gif

Ask the forum members already having zx1 for root instructions,am sure it can be done.
But it may void the warranty which may be of concern to u
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #6,349 of 7,711

confused_face.gif

You can disable a lot of the built in google apps..

Settings->Apps->Selected App->Disable

The apps are still there, look under 'All' to see them at the end of the list.

My disabled ones are....

Calendar / Calendar Storage / Chrome / Contacts / Contacts Storage / Email / Exchange Services / Gmail / Googple Play Games / Google Play Music / Google Search / Google Text-to-Speech Engine / Google+ / Hangouts / Maps / YouTube

If you want a different sound signature (I dislike the 'enchancements'), try disabling the 'Sound Enchancements' you don't get access to the equalizer etc, but I prefer the sound.

Just remember to enable the apps again, you may have to reboot your ZX1, certainly to get the 'sound enhancements' back.

Also set the timeout on the screen as low as possible, turn on airplane mode, that's made a huge difference to my battery.

Another thing that helped for me was removing the widgets from the home screens, and obviously setting the screen brightness to the lowest level, which may not work for everyone.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6,350 of 7,711
Doing all this defeats the very purpore of having such a premium dap.

They need to put a better battery next time.
xperia z3 scored highest on endurance among all phones this year.
But I think the dac chip being used is not power efficient.

Still.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,351 of 7,711
I don't think it does, personally I feel most of the apps are not needed, how many devices do you need e-mail or a browser on?

To my mind turning off all the spurious applications (to me) is a good thing. They have no bearing on the devices ability to play music.

Much like the new A10, I was more than happy with the previous Sony music player OS, the A10s looks almost exactly the same as my NWZ-A828. There wasn't really anything wrong with that, for a DAP. Android is nice, but it's also a bit of overkill.

Maybe the battery is a bit on the weak side, but I've never had it go much below 50%.

The steps I've taken have helped me gain a longer battery life, but they may not be for everyone. At least we have the option to enable / disable at will.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #6,352 of 7,711
Doing all this defeats the very purpore of having such a premium dap.

They need to put a better battery next time.

xperia z3 scored highest on endurance among all phones this year.

But I think the dac chip being used is not power efficient.

Still.

What are your experiences with your zx-1? Sounds to me like you are just spouting off without really knowing anything about the zx-1.

With wifi off mine lasts for days between charges. With wifi on I get about two days of use with several hours per day. Battery seems pretty good to me.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #6,353 of 7,711

Is your wifi on - with wifi enabled, the battrey drains much more quickly

Wifi is off, but I keep Clearaudio+ all the time. Is that the problem?

clearaudio and any DSP effect will eat up a significant part of the battery, but that is when you actually play music. so I don't think it matters when idle.
I would look for nasty processes that keep being active while the DAP is idling. or maybe the answer is simple, and the DAP wasn't idle at all. is it possible that you use a huge playlist or a repeat option? so that when you play music, it will not stop at the end of an album? if you use your DAP like that, then maybe you pressed the play button by mistake while the zx1 was in idle mode, and the DAP just played music in your bag?

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #6,354 of 7,711

You can disable a lot of the built in google apps..

Settings->Apps->Selected App->Disable

The apps are still there, look under 'All' to see them at the end of the list.

My disabled ones are....

Calendar / Calendar Storage / Chrome / Contacts / Contacts Storage / Email / Exchange Services / Gmail / Googple Play Games / Google Play Music / Google Search / Google Text-to-Speech Engine / Google+ / Hangouts / Maps / YouTube

If you want a different sound signature (I dislike the 'enchancements'), try disabling the 'Sound Enchancements' you don't get access to the equalizer etc, but I prefer the sound.

Just remember to enable the apps again, you may have to reboot your ZX1, certainly to get the 'sound enhancements' back.

Also set the timeout on the screen as low as possible, turn on airplane mode, that's made a huge difference to my battery.

Another thing that helped for me was removing the widgets from the home screens, and obviously setting the screen brightness to the lowest level, which may not work for everyone.

After Settings > Apps, you get 4 choices which are Downloaded, USB storage, Running and All. Taking a large app like Chrome for example, the choice is Force Stop and Uninstall Updates. There is no Disable option. Do you mean Force Stop? And when I choose Force Stop you get a warning message.

The other question is when you say reboot, do you mean power off and power on again? I prefer to power off my ZX1 when I'm not using them so will all these apps be enabled again hence forcing me to repeat the same procedures again?

I'm not an Android user and find it ridiculous that more than half the 1 GB RAM is taken up by Android bloatware.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #6,355 of 7,711

After Settings > Apps, you get 4 choices which are Downloaded, USB storage, Running and All. Taking a large app like Chrome for example, the choice is Force Stop and Uninstall Updates. There is no Disable option. Do you mean Force Stop? And when I choose Force Stop you get a warning message.

The other question is when you say reboot, do you mean power off and power on again? I prefer to power off my ZX1 when I'm not using them so will all these apps be enabled again hence forcing me to repeat the same procedures again?

I'm not an Android user and find it ridiculous that more than half the 1 GB RAM is taken up by Android bloatware.

Oops sorry, didn't explain that bit very well...

You are right the app listing has four 'tabs', All is probably the best place to be, as you can see everything.

Some apps, you have to 'Uninstall Updates' before you get the option to Disable them.

The applications will not get enabled on a reboot they stay disabled until you decide to enable them.

You are right about the operating system extras / bloat.

At least we have the option to install apps if we want, I've installed PowerAmp, but I prefer the Walkman App.

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #6,356 of 7,711

clearaudio and any DSP effect will eat up a significant part of the battery, but that is when you actually play music. so I don't think it matters when idle.
I would look for nasty processes that keep being active while the DAP is idling. or maybe the answer is simple, and the DAP wasn't idle at all. is it possible that you use a huge playlist or a repeat option? so that when you play music, it will not stop at the end of an album? if you use your DAP like that, then maybe you pressed the play button by mistake while the zx1 was in idle mode, and the DAP just played music in your bag?

Just did this today, but mine is hooked up to a Fiio E18, otherwise I would have heard it from the built in speaker.

Still I've got 63% battery left even after 10 hours continuous play.

Back to the charge cable.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,357 of 7,711
Oops sorry, didn't explain that bit very well...

You are right the app listing has four 'tabs', All is probably the best place to be, as you can see everything.

Some apps, you have to 'Uninstall Updates' before you get the option to Disable them.

The applications will not get enabled on a reboot they stay disabled until you decide to enable them.

You are right about the operating system extras / bloat.

At least we have the option to install apps if we want, I've installed PowerAmp, but I prefer the Walkman App.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #6,358 of 7,711
Though I enjoy the Sony Nwz-zx1 it does seem to have an annoying trait when doubled with the Chord Hugo.
Every so often when restarting from sleep it just ignores digital output and plays through internal speaker.
Only work around is to reboot which loses your place in terms of album being played.
AK240 has no issues like this so presume Zx1 or its digital out cable issue.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #6,359 of 7,711
So, a little update regarding battery drain, I took the walkman off charge this morning at about 8am, it's now 9:15pm, the battery information says...

13 hours 17 minutes on battery, 96% left

Admittedly I haven't 'used' the ZX1 today, but it's a example of stand-by battery drain, which I think is pretty good.

It's certainly better than it was when I first got it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #6,360 of 7,711
as I said on the last page.

ROOT IT,if possible

The results are worth it imho,coming from rooted nexus 7 tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back