Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #6,198 of 7,711
Own Hugo and PHA-2 - the sony amp is a much better fit unless you are prepared to lay the hugo-zx1 end-to-end on your desk or bedside table. Sonically I'm very happy with pha-2 with everything except hd800.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #6,199 of 7,711

PHA-2 is actually the best portable amp for the ZX1 as it has the perfect stacking kit for the dap and the combo provides the best SQ I ever auditioned on a portable setup

PHA-2's SQ better than HUGO ??  I own HUGO and can't believe some portable DAC/AMP can be better !

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #6,200 of 7,711

PHA-2's SQ better than HUGO ??  I own HUGO and can't believe some portable DAC/AMP can be better !

I don't think that PHA-2 is better than Hugo , but it does a better pairing with the ZX1, the Hugo has been made for the most demanding audiophiles and should be ideal for the AK240 regarding the price tag.

The PHA-2 has been made and tuned perfectly to match the ZX1, that's what I'm using right now and it's a little piece of heaven to my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #6,201 of 7,711
Any release date for the ZX1 in the US?

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6,203 of 7,711
  I don't think that PHA-2 is better than Hugo , but it does a better pairing with the ZX1, the Hugo has been made for the most demanding audiophiles and should be ideal for the AK240 regarding the price tag.

The PHA-2 has been made and tuned perfectly to match the ZX1, that's what I'm using right now and it's a little piece of heaven to my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

The pairing is quite great to my ears.  Love the sound of the ZX1+PHA2.  Very spacious sounding with more refined & greater dimensionality compared to the ZX1 headphone output.
  Cool picture showing the difference between F880 series and ZX1, can see the ZX1's big OS-Con capacitors and the extra thick wiring in all areas.

Thanks for the picture.  

PHA-2 is actually the best portable amp for the ZX1 as it has the perfect stacking kit for the dap and the combo provides the best SQ I ever auditioned on a portable setup

The amp section on the PHA-2 isn't as strong as my Pico power using the same analog input.   However, the PHA2 really did pull ahead when connects with the ZX1 digitally.  Yes, the pairing is quite great.  I sure wish they allow play while charging the amp.  Quite a bad oversight by Sony.

Own Hugo and PHA-2 - the sony amp is a much better fit unless you are prepared to lay the hugo-zx1 end-to-end on your desk or bedside table. Sonically I'm very happy with pha-2 with everything except hd800.

How about a sound comparison b/w the HUGO and PHA-2 when connect with the ZX-1 digitally?  

Any release date for the ZX1 in the US?

Not yet.  I sure hope we do get the a17 instead.  I don't mind a little more onboard memory & longer battery life myself.  The last I heard is that the ZX1 will soon be available in Canada.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #6,204 of 7,711
snip...  

Not yet.  I sure hope we do get the a17 instead.  I don't mind a little more onboard memory & longer battery life myself.  The last I heard is that the ZX1 will soon be available in Canada.

....So you  think the A17 will sound good?

I have known for some time that Sony is releasing  a Walkman with microSD, but I had my money on an updated ZX1 for the US market, and now I look at the A17 and wonder, WHY Sony?

I doubt (but hope) that it will be on par with the ZX1, what do you know about its SQ Purk? or anynody?

Thanks in advance Head-fiers

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,206 of 7,711

What is an A17...?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/new-sony-nwz-a10-series-walkman-micro-sd-card-slot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back