Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 31, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #6,182 of 7,711
Back in stock on amazon uk, £510 which isn't too bad (relatively speaking of course).  Would one of these be able to drive a pair of sennheiser hd25-II's on it's own?

Thanks

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,190 of 7,711
PHA-2 or -3 to pair with the ZX1?

The PHA-2 is fine but wasn't a real massive improvement for me (soundwise). especially if you use your ZX1 as source only and PHA-2 as DAC you lose the +Clearaudio future. But you have the ability to play DSD tracks, if that's the reason you should buy it. But know that you lose the +Clearaudio future when running DAC and some people like it (like myself) other people don't, but if your one of them so you know.

About the sound: The PHA-2 makes the sound a bit more crisp and brings clarity to the somewhat dark sound of the ZX1. It lights up the mids and highs a bit without losing lows. (almost none) 
Depending on the music genre you are listening to that can be an improvement. But it isn't really drastic in my opinion.
If you just want more output the PHA-2 will blow your ears of your head if you want that but for me the ZX1 has more then juice enough to power my CIEM UM Merlins. 

The Hugo Chord should be the most awesome and game changing "machine" for the ZX1 (and all other sources) but it's 3 times more expensive and not that portable. Also i can't vote for it because i never had the chance listening to it.

BTW: is their a option for rooting the ZX1 since i hear some frequencies a bit better in my left ear then in my right i want to install Viper or some kind of Headphone stereo balancer L/R so the sound always plays central into my head. But you always need root access to install those apps. And i don't know any other app that is doing just that. 
(PowerAMP music player does that but it isn't great and i like the Sony stock player more especially the sound and +clearaudio future)

Grtz

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #6,192 of 7,711
Does anyone know how to listen to podcasts on this?  They transfer via MediaGO into the podcasts folder, from there...? 

The only option I can think of is to use a file explorer to navigate to that folder and play them individually.  Screw that.

Also what about audio books?  I don't want audio book files mixed in with my music, what is a solution to play these?

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #6,193 of 7,711
You do know that the price of $699 AUD is Sony's recommended price and no-one sticks to that. You might/will find this player at JB Hifi for anywhere up to $100 cheaper!!

Might find it at JBHifi - don't hold your breath - I bought mine for $630 from the Sony kiosk at Parramatta in Sydney Australia 2 weeks ago I rang around all the usual suspects and No one had even heard of this model the lady in Harvey Norman made me smile when she said "Sony Walkman we havnt sold one of those in years" . I think she thought it was a cassette player lol. I do highly recommend the Sony kiosks in Sydney Philip who is the NSW distributor took an interest in my questions in relation to other Sony hirez ES DACs an d plans to obtain one for me to listen to.

I have paired the NWZ-ZX1 with Shure 846 and they are an extremely good match up. I will give more impressions later on.

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #6,194 of 7,711

The PHA-2 is fine but wasn't a real massive improvement for me (soundwise). especially if you use your ZX1 as source only and PHA-2 as DAC you lose the +Clearaudio future. But you have the ability to play DSD tracks, if that's the reason you should buy it. But know that you lose the +Clearaudio future when running DAC and some people like it (like myself) other people don't, but if your one of them so you know.

About the sound: The PHA-2 makes the sound a bit more crisp and brings clarity to the somewhat dark sound of the ZX1. It lights up the mids and highs a bit without losing lows. (almost none) 
Depending on the music genre you are listening to that can be an improvement. But it isn't really drastic in my opinion.
If you just want more output the PHA-2 will blow your ears of your head if you want that but for me the ZX1 has more then juice enough to power my CIEM UM Merlins. 

The Hugo Chord should be the most awesome and game changing "machine" for the ZX1 (and all other sources) but it's 3 times more expensive and not that portable. Also i can't vote for it because i never had the chance listening to it.

BTW: is their a option for rooting the ZX1 since i hear some frequencies a bit better in my left ear then in my right i want to install Viper or some kind of Headphone stereo balancer L/R so the sound always plays central into my head. But you always need root access to install those apps. And i don't know any other app that is doing just that. 
(PowerAMP music player does that but it isn't great and i like the Sony stock player more especially the sound and +clearaudio future)

Grtz

I have the same problem with you and my right ear is hearing less frequencies. am just using poweramp to play my music with clearaudio+ in settings and adjustment of the EQ in poweramp. works pretty well with my ath-IM03. I would go back to the stock player if only it allows me to select a song without going back to menu to play all after finishing that selected song!! darn

EDIT: after examining same tracks with both stock and poweramp, the stock player definitely sounds better with the bass and mids. tried to tweak poweramp's eq to sound similar to stock but it turned out awful instead. hence, going back to stock player... gonna miss poweramp's UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back