Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #6,166 of 7,711
  I have this same problem. This is exactly what Poweramp is good at if I understand your problem. It has a shuffle all songs option, so no matter where you choose a song to play from, the next song will be a shuffled song from your entire collection. I wish more players did this.

gee... thanks... I was trying to figure out how to but couldn't solve it. Yeah I tried Poweramp previously and it works like how my ipod classic did previously.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #6,168 of 7,711
To me, the Philips Fidelio X1 isn't 1,000 miles away... but, that leads to the question of why you would want the same sound from both your IEMs and full sized headphones - would probably be best for contrasting SQ / EQ??

I was trying to use the xba-h3 as reference as I like them a lot, however I got the AKG K550 and they sound superb, also Sony is launching the pha3.. But God, what happened to the awesome design pha2 had.... http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=&t=123060

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #6,169 of 7,711
To me, the Philips Fidelio X1 isn't 1,000 miles away... but, that leads to the question of why you would want the same sound from both your IEMs and full sized headphones - would probably be best for contrasting SQ / EQ??

An absolutely brilliant headphone, IMO, and I'd be really interested to see how well it rated in a 'real' blind listening test where the participants were blindfolded and had their hands taped to the volume control on the PHA-2  :D

If you had told me 2 years ago that Philips would release a headphone of this calibre, I might have laughed, but a lot has changed since then. Sony and Yamaha are once again being lauded for their ability to produce two-channel gear that isn't the token effort it was for at least a decade prior to 2012 - there's hope for the corporations yet  :wink:

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #6,170 of 7,711
While I'm ranting about Sony's current resurgence in 2-channel audio, the only thing I want more than HAP-Z1ES is a modded HAP-Z1ES   :D

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue72/sony_hapz1es.htm

Modwright is offering a modification to the HAP-Z1ES music server that will sell for $2995 (regular price) and $2495 through the end of April, 2014. The first upgrades shipped at the end of the first week of April 2014 with new orders being accepted for work starting on April 28, 2014.
Red Wine Audio offers two levels of modifications for the HAP-Z1ES with a third level under development. The third level will feature Red Wine's Black Lightning LiFePO4 battery power supply. Red Wine is also offering introductory pricing on their upgrades through the end of April 2014. Red Wine has their Level 1 modifications at $1495 ($1195 through April), Level 2 modifications at $2250 ($1995 through April) and Level 3 modifications at $2995 starting towards the end of April 2014. (Worth noting, Vinnie is so pleased with the upcoming Level 3 upgrades that he claims a Sony HAP-Z1ES with Level 3 mods bests the sound of Red Wine's own Bellina Pro DAC!)
Electronic Visionary Systems (EVS) is also developing sonic upgrades for the HAP-Z1ES. They are targeting early May for availability and final pricing of their modifications. At this point, it looks like a Level 1 EVS mod will go for $400, a Level 2 EVS mod will cost around $800 and the Level 3 mod is yet to have an estimated price.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #6,171 of 7,711
Coming from an iDevice environment, I find the ZX-1 I have unbelievably slow when I transfer DSD and FLAC files to it (even using direct USB2 ports on my iMac). For those with other DAP experience, is this Sony unusually slow? 

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #6,174 of 7,711
I do find the transfer rate to be slower than I expected when just copying files.  However, it took less time to initially load 55GB of music to the device than it takes to reload all of that music to my iPod Touch via iTunes when it's database gets corrupted. (About once every few months.)  Loading 55GB to the ZX1 took about 4 hours using Media Go on my PC.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #6,176 of 7,711
Hi there,

I have upgraded my Earsonics EM4 IEM to EM32 today. I am using a DX50 since it has been released, was quite happy with the combo DX50/EM4 but decided to upgrade. The EM32 are great, have sweet bass but I would appreciated to have more mediums or at least medium that could be standing in the first line. I read that the combo DX50/EM32 was not the most appropriate, so I'm now looking to upgrade my DX50 either to a ZX1 or to a DX90. Which one would you recommend ? 

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6,177 of 7,711
I was trying to use the xba-h3 as reference as I like them a lot, however I got the AKG K550 and they sound superb, also Sony is launching the pha3.. But God, what happened to the awesome design pha2 had.... http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=&t=123060

OMG, the PHA-3!? Really!? My PHA-2 has just become obsolete lol..............

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6,178 of 7,711
  I'm now looking to upgrade my DX50 either to a ZX1 or to a DX90. Which one would you recommend ? 

I personally prefer the DX90 to the ZX1, but there are others who prefer ZX1 to the DX90. I quite like both at any rate. So there really is no clear answer as to which is better, as it is based purely on your own preference, and no one can tell you what that is going to be except your own ears! I went from DX50 to ZX1 then DX90.

Also I see no problem in using the DX50 with the EM32? They all have good DAC sections, with different strengths and weaknesses, ZX1 has amazing sound stage , airiness and energy with nice vocals, DX50 has great timbre with very soulful intimate sound, and the DX90 has pure reference sound imo, lacks any coloration, but that also makes it sound a bit boring for some people. But the amp section award goes fully to the DX90, really quite authoritative compared to ZX1 and DX50, the power aspect only comes into play for full size headphones mostly though.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #6,179 of 7,711
Thanks, the existing combo EM32 DX50 is really not good, the mediums are behind and I can hear kind of a mask on the medium. Listening experience is not fantastic. I need more mediums to have voices stand.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #6,180 of 7,711
I think I see the problem, the DX50 and DX90 both have very full sound, same as the EM32, so the paring of the two might result in slightly congested sound. The ZX1 would probably be your best bet in this case it has a thinner note presentation and it has a great deal of clarity and airiness which will remove the veil from the EM32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back