Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #6,062 of 7,711

Considering new isn't much more on Amazon (lowest new is $670.99), that's a bit high for used IMO

Is the ZX1 available at any US-based store for under $700 (shipped)? I am planning to get one for my dad as his first DAP.
He is not very good at using digital gadgets, but he has been using a Sony Android phone for over a year now.

It is $669 at this store:
http://www.eglobalcentral.com/sony-walkman-nwz-zx1-128gb-high-resolution-audio-player-black-silver.html

I got my DX90 at eglobalcentral a while ago. No problem with the purchase and return but I prefer buying from a local store for faster shipping. His birthday is next week.
Thank you!

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,065 of 7,711
  Forgive my ignorance but is there a reason everyone is waiting to get it in their own country when you can just order from Japan or Korea?  Is it a warranty issue?

Partly warranty, also when you import there are sometimes surprise charges that can add up to a lot of money. This depends on the country of origin and the shipping company used.  I've had to pay brokerage fees of 50% of the value of the goods on stuff shipped from the USA to Canada.  It's just generally easier to buy in your own country if possible.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #6,066 of 7,711
  Forgive my ignorance but is there a reason everyone is waiting to get it in their own country when you can just order from Japan or Korea?  Is it a warranty issue?

I would think it is most probably a warranty issue, it is not something that cheap nor expensive but significant enough for most to be more careful especially if one encounters problems with the product in question and there is no local support, that in itself turns off many potential buyers and when i scour the net for sets in japan, the price is more than what is retailing here locally and that is excluding taxes and shipping. Unless there is significant cost savings, else the risk is simply not worth it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #6,067 of 7,711
Thanks for the replies.

Generally, buying anything in Canada is more expensive.  Shipping costs are usually unreasonable and taxes push the price through the roof.
For us, ordering from Japan is often cheaper initially, shipping is actually faster than from within the country and often things slip by under the tax radar.
Warranty issues are another thing though...

As far as paying 50%..  I'm guessing that was with UPS??  Had that happen to me before, $150 item and I was hit with a $90 brokerage fee...
UPS sucks...  (for shipping to Canada from out of the country)

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #6,068 of 7,711
Is there an easy way to add album art? When I add files to my walkman from my computer, sometimes there is no art, so I go back, google image the album, throw it into the Walkman's picture folder, and then add it.  I guess I could add it directly using the walkman's wifi connection, but it's the same basic set of steps.  Is there something easier?

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #6,070 of 7,711
I have ordered it from eglobal (Hong Kong). Picked 3-5 days UPS express shipping.
I do not worry about the warranty and import taxes as my experience with them has been great so far. I just want it to arrive in-time as a birthday present.

I did contact them on livechat to make sure it is in-stock and can arrive by early next week.
By the way, are Sony domestic items (for Japanese market) still better built than the export models? I know this was the case 15 years ago.
etysmile.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #6,075 of 7,711
I was checking out the Chinese teaser site for the upcoming flagship Sony headphones and came across another teaser image for a new Walkman device:

The metal frame looks beefier than the ZX1, but the buttons are reminiscent of those found on the F800/ 880 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back