Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #5,896 of 7,711
Thank you for posting this. I hadn't looked the online manual! :)

So my 28 hours result for FLAC CD quality is about right considering that 96kHz/24bit is 25 hours. So it looks like I have a healthy ZX1, despite leaving it connected to my PC all weekend which seemed to result in it never stopping to try and charge.

Interesting that they don't dare to quote how WiFi affects those times. I can see from my own tests that it really hurts it, more so than Bluetooth.

Wifi hurts battery life whatever the device may be, from laptops to smart phones. So, nothing unusual if it does have an adverse impact on the zx-1. :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,897 of 7,711
So I rooted my phone last night to try and install AC!D audio engine, just to see what kind of improvements you can get on your android phone for free, and how close it gets to a ZX1 kind of sound. Damn near bricked me phone (for anyone curious about viper4android alternative AC!D engine, it isn't compatible with android 4.4.4, causes reboot loops, at least with my Xperia Z Ultra it does anyway) but pulled it back from the brink, re rooted and installed viper4android... And wow. The improvement is massive. I can understand why people are dying to try it on the ZX1 now...

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #5,900 of 7,711
  And the P1 is still rated for 8.5h of playtime, while zx-1 offers over 20h on cd quality flac.

The P1 uses chips designed for desktop use hence the extra power needed to run them also the P1 delivers REAL high rez output unlike the Sony with it's 93db rating. If the P1 used Android it's playtime would suffer even more.
  I'm so impressed that I'd go as far as saying for pure SQ I'd be hard pressed recommending the ZX1 over V4A if you have an android phone...

I too am anxiously waiting for the ZX-1 to be rooted so I can install V4A software. Unfortunately we wait in vain it seems.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,902 of 7,711
If V4A makes a huge difference on the ZX1, and becomes possible with a future success in rooting, I may have to jump back on the ZX1 bandwagon! Right now it's the DX90 which is getting play time. I miss the smooth interface, and nice battery life, of the Sony though! SQ at this point is a little bit better... 

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #5,904 of 7,711
I am sorry if this has already been answered as I am new to the forum,and to be honest don't want to trawl through 400 pages or so,is the U.K version of this player E.U volume capped?.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #5,905 of 7,711
  I am sorry if this has already been answered as I am new to the forum,and to be honest don't want to trawl through 400 pages or so,is the U.K version of this player E.U volume capped?.

Thanks in advance guys.

You could of course try and type "volume cap" in the 'search this thread'-thingy. 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,907 of 7,711
Regarding the blocked rooting, has anyone tried alternative rooting methods? I have had good luck rooting things with Framaroot, even devices not on the compatibility list, but I don't have an NW-XX1 to try.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #5,908 of 7,711
Regarding the blocked rooting, has anyone tried alternative rooting methods? I have had good luck rooting things with Framaroot, even devices not on the compatibility list, but I don't have an NW-XX1 to try.

It's not blocked provided you have not installed the latest mini patch, Geohot's method works only on the Samsung etc. unmodified phones. The ZX-1 has been modified by Sony because there is no phone component therefore the latest root method does not apply. I will look into your suggestion regards 'Framaroot'.

EDIT: Tried Framaroot latest APK 1.93 - sorry it is incompatible with the Sony.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #5,909 of 7,711

Thanks in advance guys.

we've had this discussion a few times and no-one has actually compared a EU-ZX1 to a non-EU one... what we do know is that there are no real volume differences between the non-EU ZX1 & F886/7... Jonstatt hears a volume difference between his EU variants F886 & ZX1, the ZX1 goes louder... see his post and read on for a page or so, my thinking is that the ZX1 is probably not capped.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/5775

Users who are viewing this thread

Back