Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,011 of 7,711
Can't really compare to Nexus 5, its running different version of android, and more importantly on different chipset

Regardless of what hardware or version of android I'm running. Idle should not take up that much power by default. Even in Jelly Bean. Power management was not a major issue in JB if I remember correctly.

Seems to be a couple people with the idle issue so Sony obviously need to fix it. Hopefully for your sake guys they get an update out soon.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,012 of 7,711
I turned off wifi and activated airplane mode last night. Had about 24% battery, this morning it's completely dead, won't even power up. Very disappointing, I shouldn't have to delete apps, my iphone has tonnes of apps, wifi running, 3/4G etc and drops virtually nothing overnight. At this point the ZX1 is heading for return.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,013 of 7,711
listening to what was one of the unlistenable's the other week, what a difference a update makes...

Love Songs for the Chemical Generation - Daniel Land & the Modern Painters (psychedelic 'shoeshine' rock)

the album is laid back with many layers, superb overlaid vocals & textured music, very dreamy indeedy.... enjoying this 

Purk & CN11... absolutely no comment on your post (best I don't go there).

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #5,014 of 7,711
@cn11
Do you mean reset or restart? As PPCGs instructions said to restart to get the sound settings back to default.

Either way, doing it won't shorten the lifespan of your player.

@redrich.
Maybe send Sony UK an email. I say UK because Sony AU support is useless. Maybe they can advise whether an update is on the way. I assume you have the latest update? http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/588220/product/nwz-zx1

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5,015 of 7,711
@redrich.
Maybe send Sony UK an email. I say UK because Sony AU support is useless. Maybe they can advise whether an update is on the way. I assume you have the latest update? http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/588220/product/nwz-zx1

I did that when I first started it. I did it OTA, it's showing Build number 1.10.0009
Did a reset this morning and have disabled a bunch of apps. I wrote to Sony Australia, we'll see what happens from here.

Also, the wifi on this thing is total garbage as well. Wifi networks will show 2-4 bars but once I try to connect they drop to 1 and don't connect.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5,016 of 7,711
Hi, I was having similar problems with battery drain.  After checking around on the Internet I found two things which helped improve my battery life significantly. 

The first was to not use the music player widget.  If you check your battery in "Settings" and one of the main sources of battery drain is "mediaserver", then it's probably the use of the music widget. 

The second was after the 1.10 update to do a "Factory data reset" in "Backup and reset" under "Settings".

Doing these two things has improved battery life for me quite a lot, but I still think the ZX1 has an idle drainage issue which should be solved by Sony in an update.  For example, if I put my LG phone in "airplane mode" it will still be at 100% even 5 or 6 hours later.  I exclusively use the ZX1 in airplane mode, but it will still drain battery, even when not being used.  It would be at about 92% after about 6 hours of idle in airplane mode.  Surely Sony can rectify this situation, it doesn't even make sense that it happens in the first place!

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5,017 of 7,711
Just so I could be the 5000th post :wink:

Not sure why that should matter in my life, I should have bigger things to worry about?

Enjoy the little things :wink:

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,018 of 7,711
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The first was to not use the music player widget.  If you check your battery in "Settings" and one of the main sources of battery drain is "mediaserver", then it's probably the use of the music widget. 

The second was after the 1.10 update to do a "Factory data reset" in "Backup and reset" under "Settings".

Does "Factory data reset" erase the music or just personal data?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #5,019 of 7,711
It just resets the system to the out-of-the-box settings.  Erasing the music will not happen unless under "Settings/Backup & reset/Factory data reset" you scroll down to the bottom and tick "Erase USB storage".  From now on after each update, I will continue to reset the ZX1 to the original state, just in case.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,020 of 7,711
^^^

I do this with my android phones. But only when the update is for a new android version. ie, upgrade jelly bean to KitKat. And also the small updates where the version number changes, ie, 4.4.1 to 4.4.2. Its annoying as you need to back up each time. But it may help iron out any issues that come with the update.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #5,021 of 7,711
^^^

I do this with my android phones. But only when the update is for a new android version. ie, upgrade jelly bean to KitKat. And also the small updates where the version number changes, ie, 4.4.1 to 4.4.2. Its annoying as you need to back up each time. But it may help iron out any issues that come with the update.

As far as I know it has something to do with residual files from the previous version conflicting with the new version and wasting power in the background.  Anyway, since the ZX1 is mostly used as an audio player, for most people there isn't as much tweaking to do after a reset.  It's worth it just in case of any problems which are easy to avoid by doing a reset after the update.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5,022 of 7,711
  Does anyone know whether doing a daily (or even a couple times / day) 8 sec. reset will harm the device's lifespan at all? I've been doing resets to do that higher output trick mentioned several pages back. I really like the sound happening with it, and it's hard to go back to the less powerful sound that having the sound adjustments activated causes. 

Another thing I've noticed with the output power trick going is that my battery life seems to have a lot longer. I mean I started listening this morning at work with it indicating about a half charge, and with probably 4-6 hours' listening it hasn't budged at all. I just hope that deactivating the sound adjustments in apps as in the the poster's instructions doesn't also deactivate the battery meter! Hopefully it's the former, and it's a nice side perk to have the longer battery life. I haven't done any documentation for exact time length differences, but I swear it's lasting significantly longer....

Reset does not harm anything, you can do it all you like. I also like the output trick, I have just been leaving my ZX1 on all the time to avoid having to keep redo the trick, even thought the ZX1 does slowly drain battery in idle, I estimate its wastes a bit under 10% leaving it idle for 12 hrs (overnight). I haven't paid attention to whether the trick increases battery life, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did seeing as its disabling the extra sound processing the ZX1 would otherwise be doing.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #5,024 of 7,711
@cn11
Do you mean reset or restart? As PPCGs instructions said to restart to get the sound settings back to default.

Either way, doing it won't shorten the lifespan of your player.

@redrich.

Yeah I remember his instructions say that about the restart, but even the 8 sec. reset gets things back and allows the process to be repeated.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #5,025 of 7,711

Reset does not harm anything, you can do it all you like. I also like the output trick, I have just been leaving my ZX1 on all the time to avoid having to keep redo the trick, even thought the ZX1 does slowly drain battery in idle, I estimate its wastes a bit under 10% leaving it idle for 12 hrs (overnight). I haven't paid attention to whether the trick increases battery life, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did seeing as its disabling the extra sound processing the ZX1 would otherwise be doing.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about possibly having the processing disabled helping battery life potentially. Would be a nice additional perk!

Good to hear everyone thinks doing reset won't harm the lifespan. I plan on leaving it on sleep mostly too, despite the slow drain (bonus here now if the output trick is helping battery duration though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back