Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,027 of 7,711
No one used zx1 with pfe 232?

Been a while since I used a PFE232, can't see any reason why it shouldn't sound good.
Oh, one more thing, detail is really nice on the Sony, and if remember right, the 232 serves it up nicely as well. Should really work nice together. The bass on the 232 extend deep, the Sony XZ1  will work well with that as well, as they have excellent deep bass reproduction.

So far every earphone, and I have plenty, have sounded good with the Sony, more so then the X90 where some bright earphones sometimes sound to bright to the point of harshness. IMHO, of course.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5,028 of 7,711
Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll write my impessions when I've got both. Right now I'm using iPod video5g+ headstage 4g+ pfe 012 and this setup sometimes sound a bit harsh to me. I hope those two will be a great upgrade after my setup.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #5,029 of 7,711
Having a much better time with the ZX1 now. Battery issues seem solved by turning off wifi and disabling google +. It's DLing album artwork directly too which is nice.

A couple of questions:
1. Can you make the battery charge show as a % at the top?
2. Can you delete home screens so the home button goes directly to the apps screen?

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #5,030 of 7,711
  Having a much better time with the ZX1 now. Battery issues seem solved by turning off wifi and disabling google +. It's DLing album artwork directly too which is nice.

A couple of questions:
1. Can you make the battery charge show as a % at the top?
2. Can you delete home screens so the home button goes directly to the apps screen?

Good to hear!

1. A couple of things you can try. These steps usually apply to some of Sony's Xperia android phones. Im not sure if they carried them over to the android os in the walkmans.

a. 
1. Open 
Settings 
application

2. Under 
Device 
settings, tap 
Power Management

3. Scroll down and make sure to mark "Status bar Information" to view battery level percentage on the notification bar

b. Go to Settings - then Display. Then tick the Display battery percentage check box.

If your zx1 doesn't have this option, then go to the Google Play store and download a battery info app. Just search 'battery' and download one of the top results. You will then be able to show your percentage as a widget or in the status/notification bar.

Hope this helps.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #5,031 of 7,711

Good to hear!

1. A couple of things you can try. These steps usually apply to some of Sony's Xperia android phones. Im not sure if they carried them over to the android os in the walkmans.

a. 
1. Open 
Settings 
application

2. Under 
Device 
settings, tap 
Power Management

3. Scroll down and make sure to mark "Status bar Information" to view battery level percentage on the notification bar

b. Go to Settings - then Display. Then tick the Display battery percentage check box.

If your zx1 doesn't have this option, then go to the Google Play store and download a battery info app. Just search 'battery' and download one of the top results. You will then be able to show your percentage as a widget or in the status/notification bar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this, the Battery Widget app did the trick.
Any ideas on removing home screens?

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,032 of 7,711
  Thanks for this, the Battery Widget app did the trick.
Any ideas on removing home screens?

Oops, forgot about that question.

Try this (applies to their phones so may not work)

To delete a pane from your Home screen

• Touch and hold an empty area on your Home screen until the device vibrates.
  • Flick left or right to browse to the pane that you want to delete, then tap 
    ICN-SONY-AND-HOMESCREEN-DELETE-PANE-low.png

​You have to keep at least 1 home screen. But providing the above method works, you will be able to delete the ones you dont use and only use one main one like I do. If you don't have this option, you will need to download a customer launcher from the Play store. Nova and Apex are 2 of the better launchers imho.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #5,033 of 7,711

Oops, forgot about that question.

Try this (applies to their phones so may not work)

To delete a pane from your Home screen

• Touch and hold an empty area on your Home screen until the device vibrates.
  • Flick left or right to browse to the pane that you want to delete, then tap 
    ICN-SONY-AND-HOMESCREEN-DELETE-PANE-low.png

​You have to keep at least 1 home screen. But providing the above method works, you will be able to delete the ones you dont use and only use one main one like I do. If you don't have this option, you will need to download a customer launcher from the Play store. Nova and Apex are 2 of the better launchers imho.

That method brings up a wallpaper choice option.
What are launchers?

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #5,035 of 7,711
Only wallpaper or is there other options when you do that?
Try pinch zoom on a blank area and see what happens. This used to work on older Sony devices.

http://www.howtogeek.com/161152/what-custom-android-launchers-are-and-why-you-might-want-to-use-one/

Basically it let's you do things your standard launcher can't. I use nova on my nexus 5 as I like to run custom icons and custom widget sizes.

Will be perfect for you as you can alter your homescreens to what suits your needs. Espier seems a perfect choice then :wink:

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #5,036 of 7,711
Damn this unit looks so sexy. Aesthetically, it's pure perfection. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on this.

Has anyone tried this with Heir 8.a? Also curious if anyone tried with an RSA Intruder?

I'm a little confused in regards to the warranty, I'm in the US, do I need to purchase the extended to have it covered.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #5,037 of 7,711
  Here is the way to increase the ZX1's output power
1. Make sure the xLoud & Clear Phase was checked in the sound setting
2. Lower down the volume
3. Go to Setting / Apps / ALL / Sound enhancements / then push "Disable" 
4. Enjoy!

After disable the Sound enhancements, EQ won't work anymore.
You have to restart the ZX1 to make it work again.

Bloody Nora!    

Due to limited time currently getting down time to read this thread I am having to read 25 pages a week catch up and got to say on top of the update last week this has got to be find of the year!  

How did you come across this magical change PPCG in taking the leash of the ZX1? 

I have the Japanese version and always thought even with my 24 ohm MDR-R1, MDR-7520's & my old Z1000's they struggled with older lower output recordings or high res files on the volume pot but this has definitely added at least 25% to the volume headroom and really drives these cans with proper authority and the soundstage has really opened up.  Those 24 ohm cans I had at 3/4 or with the bad volume recordings at full almost are now 50% on the ZX1 volume scale and any higher blows the ears before the drivers.

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" album and with the drive and kick drums really coming through this is getting closer to matching in many respects listening enjoyment to my B&W floorstanders through Tag Mclaren 250 watt amps, these is just screw** sublime! Audio heaven now. 

A week ago before the update I could take or leave the player as pleasant as it still sounded but there was definitely a lack of mid detail on the machine and now disabling this sound enhancement function is making fall in love with music all over again for the first time in a long time a portable device has done this.  

As Trance stated it makes it sound more edgy, to me more vibrant with the top end been a little bit more harsher (not in a negative way as it is not tedious or ear piercing in anyway) but it is giving live recordings with the more openness that live atmosphere with punch as there is the drive and authority there.  

Just wonder how this will affect the battery drain though with more power to drive bigger cans even though the app is disabled? (will keep a check on that)  

Not that I am complaining though as although the SQ has changed a tad it is still sounding good but now with some proper raw power behind this machine. 

Gonna be a long night listening to this and I have to be up at 5am!    ZX1 is like dancing with the devil!  

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #5,038 of 7,711
  Bloody Nora!    

Due to limited time currently getting down time to read this thread I am having to read 25 pages a week catch up and got to say on top of the update last week this has got to be find of the year!  

How did you come across this magical change PPCG in taking the leash of the ZX1? 

I have the Japanese version and always thought even with my 24 ohm MDR-R1, MDR-7520's & my old Z1000's they struggled with older lower output recordings or high res files on the volume pot but this has definitely added at least 25% to the volume headroom and really drives these cans with proper authority and the soundstage has really opened up.  Those 24 ohm cans I had at 3/4 or with the bad volume recordings at full almost are now 50% on the ZX1 volume scale and any higher blows the ears before the drivers.

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" album and with the drive and kick drums really coming through this is getting closer to matching in many respects listening enjoyment to my B&W floorstanders through Tag Mclaren 250 watt amps, these is just screw** sublime! Audio heaven now. 

A week ago before the update I could take or leave the player as pleasant as it still sounded but there was definitely a lack of mid detail on the machine and now disabling this sound enhancement function is making fall in love with music all over again for the first time in a long time a portable device has done this.  

As Trance stated it makes it sound more edgy, to me more vibrant with the top end been a little bit more harsher (not in a negative way as it is not tedious or ear piercing in anyway) but it is giving live recordings with the more openness that live atmosphere with punch as there is the drive and authority there.  

Just wonder how this will affect the battery drain though with more power to drive bigger cans even though the app is disabled? (will keep a check on that)  

Not that I am complaining though as although the SQ has changed a tad it is still sounding good but now with some proper raw power behind this machine. 

Gonna be a long night listening to this and I have to be up at 5am!    ZX1 is like dancing with the devil!  

Well if you like the sound and output positives about this trick, from what I've seen so far it also seems to lengthen battery life! I've been keeping the ZX1 on sleep so that I don't have to go back and redo all the steps after a reset, and with over 24 hours' sleep I think it's only down about 10%! Another added perk of this trick.

Anyone else finding their battery life extended with this?

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5,040 of 7,711
My initial thoughts on the SQ... comparing to iMod>Arrow, which is a bit unfair but that's what I want to replace with it. The ZX1 has the BIG advantage of a slimmer, single-unit package, so only needs to go reasonably close.

So far it falls a well short of the iMod>Arrow (IA), both in terms of power and SQ. The ZX1 can only just drive the ER-4S, even with sound enhancements disabled. I need to use pre-amp to get up to a good volume. It's also nowehere near as refined or expansively detailed as the IA. The IA is also a bit smoother and warmer. Jury is still out as whether the ZX1 is close enough. It is pretty good, nice detail/separation/soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back