Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,996 of 7,711
  I read on another thread that the Sony F880/ZX1 range was not in the same league as the DX90/Fiio X5.  I find this very hard to believe as both the DX90 and ZX1 are truly astounding players with imo very little to choose between them.  I dont think buyers could go wrong with either.

for some reason Sony's get knocked in other threads, mainly by people who have never heard one so they surmise things.

look forward to more reasoned thoughts for sure.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4,997 of 7,711
Odd. Idle shouldn't be taking up that much. For reference, my nexus 5 is currently sitting on 5% for idle. Perhaps other zx1 owners can check their battery info.

Software up to date? If so, id try a master reset and start fresh. Warning. It will wipe the memory.

Not sure if you are familiar with android devices but resets more often that not sort out little niggles like thesr.

If that fails, sounds like Sony need to sort it out in an update then.

Edit: after idle, what's the next biggest drain?

Can't really compare to Nexus 5, its running different version of android, and more importantly on different chipset (probably, didn't check), and different kernel.

Well of course it should be better on ZX1 since its not connected to GSM networks etc. Wonder how much Sony put effort to tweaking the kernel for this device.

My old android phone(Desire Z) could do below 1% per hour on power consumption with the right cpu tweaks (importantly under clock to ~300MHz on idle). I did notice form this thread that ZX1 has been rooted, so the kernel could be tweaked to lower power consumption and better memory management, wonder if there are any tweaks released/devs working on em?

Also sony may not have been so concerned about idle since its a music player so they might have assumed that it will be turned off when not in use, unlike phones.

I'm just a lurker on this thread, looking for some good player, maybe this one or cowon P1, or Cylax M... But still holding from getting one of em.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4,999 of 7,711
My device idle is sitting at 71% I've disabled everything I can think of too?! Gotta say that this issue is the one thing that I'm not happy with on this device. I need to find the solution.....

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5,001 of 7,711
I got my ZX-1 on Wednesday (via a Japanese seller on eBay) and haven't had any issues with battery life. Took it off the charger nearly 9 hours ago and am sitting at 83% battery life. Total listening time was roughly 90 minutes to a variety of FLAC files during that with the rest of the time it being in standby at my desk at work (screen off).

Current settings:

- Account Sync (Gmail and other Google services), Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC all OFF (I use it exclusively as a DAP)
- Screen brightness at roughly 15%

I found the biggest battery killer for me was using wifi and the stock brightness settings when I was originally setting up my accounts on FTL and setup. If you're using it just as a DAP it seems as if it is able to get pretty great battery life. Using it as a mobile internet-connected device, the battery life seems to drain much more quickly.

EDIT: Just for an FYI, I'm using Shure SE846 IEMs as well.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5,002 of 7,711
Does anyone know whether doing a daily (or even a couple times / day) 8 sec. reset will harm the device's lifespan at all? I've been doing resets to do that higher output trick mentioned several pages back. I really like the sound happening with it, and it's hard to go back to the less powerful sound that having the sound adjustments activated causes. 

Another thing I've noticed with the output power trick going is that my battery life seems to have a lot longer. I mean I started listening this morning at work with it indicating about a half charge, and with probably 4-6 hours' listening it hasn't budged at all. I just hope that deactivating the sound adjustments in apps as in the the poster's instructions doesn't also deactivate the battery meter! Hopefully it's the former, and it's a nice side perk to have the longer battery life. I haven't done any documentation for exact time length differences, but I swear it's lasting significantly longer....

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,003 of 7,711
  Does anyone know whether doing a daily (or even a couple times / day) 8 sec. reset will harm the device's lifespan at all? I've been doing resets to do that higher output trick mentioned several pages back. I really like the sound happening with it, and it's hard to go back to the less powerful sound that having the sound adjustments activated causes. 

Another thing I've noticed with the output power trick going is that my battery life seems to have a lot longer. I mean I started listening this morning at work with it indicating about a half charge, and with probably 4-6 hours' listening it hasn't budged at all. I just hope that deactivating the sound adjustments in apps as in the the poster's instructions doesn't also deactivate the battery meter! Hopefully it's the former, and it's a nice side perk to have the longer battery life. I haven't done any documentation for exact time length differences, but I swear it's lasting significantly longer....

Good question. Are you using a third party battery monitor app as well? Wondering if that would show any drain.

Btw, I highly recommend this free (and ad-free) battery monitor app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=battery.monitor

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #5,004 of 7,711
my 886 was sitting at a massive 83% at idle,i have switched everything off and got it down to 58%,that still seems to high,Sony promised about

Long battery life​

Up to 35 hours playback with MP3, up to 26 hours of Hi-Res Audio.​

​

​

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #5,005 of 7,711
  Good question. Are you using a third party battery monitor app as well? Wondering if that would show any drain.

Btw, I highly recommend this free (and ad-free) battery monitor app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=battery.monitor

No third party one, just the stock icon at the top of the screen....

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #5,006 of 7,711

No third party one, just the stock icon at the top of the screen....

Wondering if a third party battery app would show the same lack of drain the battery icon is apparently showing. Have you seen any drain when you look in the battery section of the settings menu?

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #5,007 of 7,711
  Wondering if a third party battery app would show the same lack of drain the battery icon is apparently showing. Have you seen any drain when you look in the battery section of the settings menu?

It is definitely draining, but much more slowly it seems. I can see the difference now from this morning when I go to the battery area of settings... I'm going to have to pay close attention to this because if it truly has slowed down this much, this is a huge battery saving perk! 

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #5,008 of 7,711

for some reason Sony's get knocked in other threads, mainly by people who have never heard one so they surmise things.

look forward to more reasoned thoughts for sure.

Did you notice the ZX1 in the latest Headfi TV episode?  The ZX-1 got less than 30 second of air time while the AK240 had an entire episode.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #5,009 of 7,711
One of the two manufacturers must be a heavier sponsor.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #5,010 of 7,711
F886 xd1 are basically same hardware, so I say this, remove any program that may pool the processor, otherwise battery drain. Use power toggles if you want to monitor battery and other stuff without draining the battery. The pha 2 however, drains my battery as if there were no tomorrow on idle, have to turn off both player and amp, when using both, I easily get 6+ hours of playback. Remember to really disable all Google services except perhaps for play store and hangouts, that way I really saw a battery life of 2x what I had before, specially with the pha 2 connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back