Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #4,967 of 7,711
  Sony Media Go is a diabolical piece of JUNK. Apparently it auto-transcodes files moved from the library to the ZX1 and so about 12 albums takes over six hours!!!!!

I just realized that it is modifying MP3 files in some way when it is transferring them, because the file size is different if I manually transfer the files from my hard drive vs Media Go or Content Transfer sending them to the device. What a piece of junk software.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4,968 of 7,711
Sony Media Go is a diabolical piece of JUNK. Apparently it auto-transcodes files moved from the library to the ZX1 and so about 12 albums takes over six hours!!!!!

Yeah I found this also (although not quite that slow).

I think it transferred MP3 files with no modification but was doing something to the M4A files of my iTunes library. I have since stopped using it and just use Google Play Music All Access and pin the music that I want to the player.

It's a shame because apart from that I quite liked Media Go.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #4,969 of 7,711

We are aware of this many years ago.  Why not just copy and paste in the window explorer?  That's one of the beauty of this unit.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #4,972 of 7,711
I think its EU law that insists on the volume cap and not Sony themselves, although I might be wrong in this. I'm sure it was the French government a few years ago who insisted on a cap.

According to this article it was one of your Tory MP's...

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/98599-eu-imposes-music-player-volume-limit

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #4,973 of 7,711

Sorry I stand corrected!
Typical Tory MP!  Wont catch me voting for them.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #4,974 of 7,711

Is that not why Sony introduced the AVLS(volume limit) on there walkman,I think this would be set to 80 dB when checked,I would think all phones and players go higher than 80dB,I could be wrong!The iphone 4s volume is way higher and its from 2011,I honestly think it is is a Sony thing,there phones are always lower than other brands!

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #4,975 of 7,711
Haha I don't know anyone who would own a Japanese ZX1, unfortunately; and just the thought of buying it and importing it and returning a unit and waiting for the refund makes me tired! :p I'm still a student as well.. so... budgets.. :frowning2:
I HAVE tried PPCG's tip to increase output power several times though, and it doesn't seem to work for me.
This is what I did -
1. The boxes for xLoud and Clear Phase were already ticked so I left those alone
2. Turned down Master volume. For my last attempt I turned down all 3 volume sliders.
3. Disabled Sound Enhancement.

I do and after I get the x5 and compare to dx90 and zx1 there's a chance I.might sell the whole package with the pha2 and case etc.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #4,977 of 7,711
Malcolm Harbour, chairman of the European parliament's consumer protection committee and Tory MP, commented: "Hopefully it will reduce the number of times we have to listen to the din of someone else's personal stereo on the bus or the tube".

I think this was the Tory mp McCol was referring to!and I would say its a pretty typical response from these baffoons!!

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #4,978 of 7,711
Spent a couple of hours last night listening to the same tracks on both the ZX1 and the DX90.

Not going to go too in depth as I'm waiting for the Fiio x5 that is doing the rounds here to arrive for my 10 day preview/review thingy.

Both are excellent players in their own right.  For me there is not alot to choose between them and for most people it will boil down to personal sound preference.  I will probably keep both as I love the sound signature from both DAP's although I think I am slightly swayed towards the ZX1 esp when using it with the PHA-2.

The dX90 sounds to my ears very neutral with great soundstage and detail to the music.  Amp section is probably more powerful than the ZX1.  With my K3003 I only go to around 45% of the volume on medium gain.
The ZX1 has imo slightly bigger soundstage with a bit more emphasis on the mids and highs.  Bass for me is very similar on both daps.  Very rich and textured.  Volume wise benn listening to most tracks around the 70% mark.
USing the PHA-2 with the ZX1 takes it to a slightly higher level sq wise.  Everything seems to be a bit smoother and of course a bit more volume, not that the K3003 really need the extra power.  I'm new to the whole amp/dac in one package thing and so far have not used the PHA-2 line in, only been using the digital input.

In terms of value for money, I dont think the ZX1 is worth twice the price of the DX90.  I managed to get 20% discount so it was a bit closer in price to the DX90. 
There are advantages of the ZX1 such as the ability to stream over DLNA which for me has been flawless, connected first time to my NAS and played files with no issue.  Also I find the Android UI far more user friendly than the Ibasso UI, thats not to say the DX90 UI is bad its just not as fluid for me.  Both players have full physical buttons which is a nice bonus.  Also both players seem very well made.  The Sony is a wonderful looking bit of kit with its silver finish and of course the DX90 with its brushed metal effects, both look great and feel great in the hand.

I read on another thread that the Sony F880/ZX1 range was not in the same league as the DX90/Fiio X5.  I find this very hard to believe as both the DX90 and ZX1 are truly astounding players with imo very little to choose between them.  I dont think buyers could go wrong with either.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,979 of 7,711
  Here is the way to increase the ZX1's output power
1. Make sure the xLoud & Clear Phase was checked in the sound setting
2. Lower down the volume
3. Go to Setting / Apps / ALL / Sound enhancements / then push "Disable" 
4. Enjoy!

After disable the Sound enhancements, EQ won't work anymore.
You have to restart the ZX1 to make it work again.

So I did this tonight, definitely drives the ER-4S a bit better.

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #4,980 of 7,711
I do and after I get the x5 and compare to dx90 and zx1 there's a chance I.might sell the whole package with the pha2 and case etc.

Hmmm... very interesting....*strokes beard* 
L3000.gif

And if your location is accurate its so much more convenient since both of us live in London. I might just want to do a comparison, though!!
Let me know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back