Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,938 of 7,711
Thanks again, would you say the sound was a downgrade? I've just sold a UK dap - probably to import from Japan due to 'needing' an amp with it. If this nullifies that I may re purchase

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,939 of 7,711
Thanks again, would you say the sound was a downgrade? I've just sold a UK dap - probably to import from Japan due to 'needing' an amp with it. If this nullifies that I may re purchase

I like it better so its an upgrade for me :/ Well it does make it a decent bit louder, but have no idea if its enough for you. My (Japan) ZX1 was always plenty loud for me, now its plenty +1 :p

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,941 of 7,711
This actually works :L3000:

It must be a glitch, I needed about 25% less volume to reach the same level loudness as before.

Mad props to PPCG for figuring this out!

But this does change the sound of the ZX1, It gives you its pure sound without the enhancements. It doesn't sound anywhere near as refined as before, but it has more impact and energy, its nice to know this little trick to hear the ZX1 unrestrained! I actually prefer the sound after this trick, its much more raw, sound stage better too.
Thanks PPCG :cool:  

I'm glad you like it.
My English is very poor.
If there is any further questions about this trick, please help.
Thank you!

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,942 of 7,711
  Since the update, is it possible to play DOUBLE DSD files ??

Mine will not play DSD128 but will play DSD64, is that what you mean.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,944 of 7,711
ZX1 arrived this morning from Sony UK a month after ordering.  The wait appears to be worth it.  Loaded up 40gb of files, a mixture of 320 mp3, 16bit flac and a few 24bit flac.

Using the AKG K3003 this thing sound pretty sweet, not had a proper long listen yet but initial impressions are good.  Going to compare against my DX90 this evening and over the next few days.  Also going to see how it sounds paired with the PHA-2.

The Android UI is great after a few years of various other UI's on different players, so easy to use.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4,946 of 7,711
I think it probably is but couldn't tell you for sure. Needs to go higher than the dx90 but still seems loud enough for my K3003.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,947 of 7,711
Been following this thread for a while now and just got my UK unit today - I'm gonna say that there is a volume cap as I think it plays only a little louder than my Xperia Z1 and NWZ-A867, and the volume just about satisfies when I use my AKG K550s at full volume.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,948 of 7,711
  Been following this thread for a while now and just got my UK unit today - I'm gonna say that there is a volume cap as I think it plays only a little louder than my Xperia Z1 and NWZ-A867, and the volume just about satisfies when I use my AKG K550s at full volume.

I would return your unit and order the Japanese ZX1.  I would pay slightly more for a uncapped version and unleash all of the ZX1's goodness.  My cap A867 also sound considerably worst than the US & Japanese counterparts.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #4,949 of 7,711
+1
The more I listen to certain tracks I think there is a cap as well.
Been using with the PHA-2 for the last hour or 2. Helps give it more volume, also seems to add a little to the quality of the sound. Although to be honest I don't think my k3003 need more power than is present. Will be trying the ety er4s in a bit.

All in all very happy with the sound, gives me something different to the dx90 and will be keeping both.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,950 of 7,711
  I would return your unit and order the Japanese ZX1.  I would pay slightly more for a uncapped version and unleash all of the ZX1's goodness.  My cap A867 also sound considerably worst than the US & Japanese counterparts.

Hmm... so the cap affects sound quality as well?? I probably would've gotten a Japanese ZX1 in the first place if it wasn't for the 20% off voucher I used. Although I've never really desired to listen above the maximum volume limit of anything I've owned, I do find it pretty odd that they'd cap a player aimed at people who would most surely own harder to drive headphones.
Especially with all the talk about it's amp and hardware. Haven't tried PPCG's tip yet though, so I'll see if that makes any difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back