Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3,962 of 7,711
I have no such problem with either ALAC or AIFF files, but I do with FLAC. Can't seem to get the cover art attached in iTunes. You can attach the it in the ZX1 itself but there the albums show up under 'unknown artist'... There's probably ways around that but I only rip my CD's to Apple's formats anyway and all the music I buy from Bandcamp can be downloaded in ALAC, so I'm good. If I only had FLAC files I'd be annoyed.

It comes as no surprise concerning a format which Apple chose to compete against. I'm guessing you'd rather manage your library in iTunes instead of something else like Sony's Media Go?

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #3,963 of 7,711
  'YUIN PK1 (130 ohms impedance)' with the ZX1, if so any thoughts on performance?

According to Tyll's results at InnerFidelity (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YuinPK1.pdf), the PK1 requires 0.19 mW to reach 90 dB. The input sensitivity of the PK1 is about 109 dB, so to reach 110 dB the maximal power required would be 0.19 mW x 10^2 = 19 mW, which is just above the power delivery of the ZX1. That's just a rough rule-of-thumb, which says nothing about the way the power/current is delivered with the ZX1.

Realistically, no one should be listening to music at 110 dB, so he should be okay.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #3,964 of 7,711
hard to find which EIM's to use with the sony zx1 and F886 players.
bought F886 yesterday, but absoluty don't know which earphones to buy:

need : neutral acoustic signature as the pk 1, don't mind about the bass and made for no use of ampli : only listening music with  the player alone, around 250 dollars. I am hurry to discover my 24 bit files, but so much choice guys, so much choice...
and the fact i am bad in englich make the things harder to read all those pages about technical reviews..

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #3,965 of 7,711
  question for the owners of a zx1..yesterday i bought a xperia z1 compact, put my ALAC files from itunes on it, but it did not recognize the cover art and every ALAC file was put in "unknown artist" 

when i convert my ALAC to AAC, the artist and the cover art are shown correct. 

so, i will return the android phone to amazon tomorrow and wanted to ask you if you have this problem with the zx1?

Not the phones fault is it?

Much better to embed all meta data (including cover art) OUTSIDE of iTunes unless you want to be Apple-dependant all your life. iTunes holds separate data that attaches when you play but doesn't travel outside of iTunes or i-players.

I use the free mp3tag to add data, it picks up album art off Amazon and others. I always correct meta-data before importing into iTunes for bathroom dock playback, then files are fine in all other uses, eg, Nas drive playback, DAP use or anything else.

Or if converting from CD's use something like dBpoweramp. Anything other than iTunes if you want to play music outside of the Apple world, now or in the future.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,967 of 7,711
  everything is embedded into the file...but thanks for thinking that i am a nutjob. 

Sorry for trying to help.

Many iTunes Users don't realise that they do not have embedded artwork. I teach computing round people's houses and iTunes is responsible for many misconceptions about how files are made up.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,968 of 7,711
  hard to find which EIM's to use with the sony zx1 and F886 players.
bought F886 yesterday, but absoluty don't know which earphones to buy:

need : neutral acoustic signature as the pk 1, don't mind about the bass and made for no use of ampli : only listening music with  the player alone, around 250 dollars. I am hurry to discover my 24 bit files, but so much choice guys, so much choice...
and the fact i am bad in englich make the things harder to read all those pages about technical reviews..

Try:
  1. Etymotic ER4P/HF5
  2. HiFiMAN RE-400 (or RE-0, RE-272 if you can find them)
  3. Phonak Audeo PFE112 (if you can still find one)

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,970 of 7,711
It comes as no surprise concerning a format which Apple chose to compete against. I'm guessing you'd rather manage your library in iTunes instead of something else like Sony's Media Go?

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Well, having owned a Mac for about ten years and coming from iPod Classic and -Touch I have been happily using iTunes and never felt the need to look for something else. Up until now that is, because obviously there's no going back from the ZX1... And it seems logical that Sony software would be better for that, but apparetly it's not available for Mac.

I have to say though, while it's probably better in every way imaginable, Media Go does look quite a bit like iTunes... And by 'quite a bit' I mean really f-ing much. 
blink.gif

So, is there any other software recommended for Mac? For now I can manage just fine, with my music being so easily drag & dropable to the ZX1, but if there's any software that also allows me to create playlists on my Mac and sync them with the ZX1, I'm all ears.

BTW I tried iSyncr, but I don't like how it actually copies more versions of the same songs in different playlists, rather than creating shortcuts...

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #3,971 of 7,711

Sorry for trying to help.

Many iTunes Users don't realise that they do not have embedded artwork. I teach computing round people's houses and iTunes is responsible for many misconceptions about how files are made up.

i was one of those. luckily i didn't have to re-do too many albums.

itunes is still my tag-er of choice. itunes is even my embedd-er of choice for artwork. the trick with embedding artwork into an album using itunes is to actually copy and paste the artwork into each file (do not use the 'get album artwork' menu option this does not embed) by selecting 'get info' and checking the box next to 'artwork' and then paste your artwork into the blue-highlighted square.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,972 of 7,711

i was one of those. luckily i didn't have to re-do too many albums.

itunes is still my tag-er of choice. itunes is even my embedd-er of choice for artwork. the trick with embedding artwork into an album using itunes is to actually copy and paste the artwork into each file (do not use the 'get album artwork' menu option this does not embed) by selecting 'get info' and checking the box next to 'artwork' and then paste your artwork into the blue-highlighted square.

That is correct. However I have seen iTunes adding hidden files into people's folders even after embedding in this way. When FreeFilesSync has been used to duplicate someone's music collection to a NAS drive, addition small album art files have been added, which they wouldn't know about if they not backed up in this way.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,973 of 7,711
iTunes is total garbage! I've had songs randomly delete themselves from my iTunes library and so many other inconveniences

I just put all my music into folders now and I use dbpoweramp for converting and everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back