Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,706 of 7,711
All,
I dearly loved the SQ of my old Walkman.  Needed to upgrade a year or so ago and decided on the J3 with Headstage Arrow amp.  Wonderful combination!  Great sound!  But, no direct WiFi, so I have to download FLAC on my PC, convert to Mp3, then transfer to J3.  I was hoping this new Sony would be a great solution.  So, question: SQ comparison of the new Sony with my current setup?
Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,707 of 7,711
  All,
I dearly loved the SQ of my old Walkman.  Needed to upgrade a year or so ago and decided on the J3 with Headstage Arrow amp.  Wonderful combination!  Great sound!  But, no direct WiFi, so I have to download FLAC on my PC, convert to Mp3, then transfer to J3.  I was hoping this new Sony would be a great solution.  So, question: SQ comparison of the new Sony with my current setup?
Thanks in advance.

going by the description of the sound of the ZX1 , and the cowon J3 that I own , I would have to say they are pretty different especially if you go all in with the J3 sound tweaks

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,709 of 7,711

would you say the extra £££ for the zx1 is really worth paying over the j3? i mean there is about a £300 difference

Again , I think they are pretty different , the cowon is warmer than the sony in terms of sound , to be fair the sony have more updated software compared to cowon, running android and the like, having an actual line out and the ability to scale with compatible usb dac . If I would have to choose to speend 300 pound more , yes I would spend it to upgrade to the ZX1

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3,712 of 7,711
Good thoughts.  I'm going to sit tight (J3 plus amp) until Sony comes out with something more compelling than the ZX1.  I just hope they don't ignore the US market as they have in the past.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #3,714 of 7,711
I got a question, I own an F886, which I heavily enjoy coupled with my xba h3, the only limiting factor I see is the memory capacity. Then again I also own an xperia z ultra (for the guy that complained about light blending, this has none... Unless you open the USB port cover) how would compare the xperia z ultra coupled with the Sony PHA-2 amp against the F886 or the ZX1 using the H3 headphones in sound quality? 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,715 of 7,711
Vect... you may be better off connecting the Xperia via the USB lead and use the PHA-2 via the DAC/Amp, it would give you better results I reckon.

using via H/O or line out directly into PHA-2 will have minor benefits as you'll only be amplifying the SQ signal you're feeding it, though the PHA-2 adds a little warmth & the bass will go deeper, all good imo, gives me a slightly different flavour... yummy tasting as they say.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,717 of 7,711
  Found an english video unboxing/ review of the ZX1:

Skip to the 8:00 minute mark to check out some 24bit audio wifi streaming action!

Thanks.  I've been doing hi-rez streaming via DLNA since my 2nd day.  Awesome player...really love mine.  Just gone through the entire youtube review and this guy did a great job unboxing the ZX1.  I need to check out "BubbleUPnP" app.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3,718 of 7,711
  Vect... you may be better off connecting the Xperia via the USB lead and use the PHA-2 via the DAC/Amp, it would give you better results I reckon.

using via H/O or line out directly into PHA-2 will have minor benefits as you'll only be amplifying the SQ signal you're feeding it, though the PHA-2 adds a little warmth & the bass will go deeper, all good imo, gives me a slightly different flavour... yummy tasting as they say.

I gotta say, this would be like having the best of the two worlds, one of the most beautiful screens and quite one of the best audio performing players too... Anybody interested in swapping his PHA-2 for my F886? jaja.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back