Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #2,401 of 7,711
I'm just about set to order these but I have a quick question. Is the screen size the same as any other dap/phone where I can get a screen protector from them or is it different in size since $12 is a bit expensive for it.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,402 of 7,711
  I'm just about set to order these but I have a quick question. Is the screen size the same as any other dap/phone where I can get a screen protector from them or is it different in size since $12 is a bit expensive for it.

Here's a Photoshopped estimate of screen size.

It should be fairly accurate, to give you some idea, but please bear in mind that I have had to estimate some of these sizes, by scaling off the digital images and cross-referencing with the quoted overall sizes in the Sony specs.

No doubt others, who now own the physical device, will be able to provide more accurate measurements.

Frankly, I see no reason to pay the rip-off price of $12 for a piece of plastic film. Just look on eBay for a 3rd-party screen protector that is, perhaps, larger, and you can simply cut it down to size with a craft knife or pair of scissors.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,404 of 7,711
Die any decent carrying case come out for the ZX1?

Mim, would you be kind enough to check my estimated measurements by measuring your actual ZX1, please?

I'm sure there will be a margin of error in my attempts to calculate the exact dimensions using only photographs for reference.

Cheers.

As for cases, I really would rather pay just a few dollars for a case like the ones discussed a couple of weeks ago, rather than be ripped-off by Sony or some boutique leather luxury goods maker, but everyone has a different outlook on this, of course. I suspect there may not be a dedicated NW-ZX1 case available, at decent quality but reasonable price, until the DAP is officially released internationally.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,405 of 7,711
Well I guess i'm as ready as ever. I just have to wait a few weeks for the ZX1 to arrive now :) 

This will be my first real higher end dap and pretty excited. A good sounding dap with good UI and 128gb internal memory was too much to pass up. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2,406 of 7,711
Are these available for sale yet?   I can't find a place to order one......

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,407 of 7,711

Mim, would you be kind enough to check my estimated measurements by measuring your actual ZX1, please?

I'm sure there will be a margin of error in my attempts to calculate the exact dimensions using only photographs for reference.

Cheers.

As for cases, I really would rather pay just a few dollars for a case like the ones discussed a couple of weeks ago, rather than be ripped-off by Sony or some boutique leather luxury goods maker, but everyone has a different outlook on this, of course. I suspect there may not be a dedicated NW-ZX1 case available, at decent quality but reasonable price, until the DAP is officially released internationally.

Japanese model comes with the case in the package. Sony doesn't make any ZX1 cases for buying except the one from horse saddle maker which I think it is offered for limited time only.

ZX1 shares the same screen overlay with F880.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,408 of 7,711
  Sony doesn't make any ZX1 cases for buying except the one from horse saddle maker which I think it is offered for limited time only.

ZX1 also share the same screen overlay with F880.

Thanks.

(this remark isn't aimed at you, personally
wink.gif
) - the saddle maker's case is beautifully made but stupidly designed. What good is a case that you have to remove the device from (thus making it vulnerable if you drop it) every time you need to press a button?

I have long thought that all makers of touchscreen devices should include screen protectors as standard, rather than expect customers to pay extra to protect insufficiently-resilient screen materials.

It's actually quite ironic that I'm discussing this, since I took care to protect my Galaxy S2 screen with plastic film, until just a month ago, when it finally peeled off, and, in my laziness to quickly replace the protector, I used it for just a few days without one and... lo & behold.... a huge scratch somehow appeared on the screen. I'm actually shocked at how easily it got scratched, considering it's supposedly 'Corning Gorilla Glass'.

Moral of the story is never be tempted to delay putting a protector on your touchscreen device - not even for a single day!
redface.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,410 of 7,711
  I'm pretty much sold on one of these now, but would like to get some input from anyone who has heard the HM-901 and the Sony NW-ZX1. How do they compare SQ wise? 

Mimouille posted a very brief remark about that here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/2325#post_10092523

but I don't think you will have long to wait until lots more people post comparisons between the HM-901 and NW-ZX1 (once they've sobered-up from Christmas, New Years Eve, and Chinese New Year, that is!)

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,411 of 7,711

Mimouille posted a very brief remark about that here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/2325#post_10092523

but I don't think you will have long to wait until lots more people post comparisons between the HM-901 and NW-ZX1 (once they've sobered-up from Christmas, New Years Eve, and Chinese New Year, that is!)

I've talked to Mim about it, have his thoughts. Was looking for others to chime in if possible..

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,412 of 7,711
Subbed.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,413 of 7,711
A bit OT but how does price japan work? I'm not a member so I paid that way but how do you know the status or do you just wait for the tracking? The only thing I got was the paypal receipt in my email. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,415 of 7,711
Is it automatic or something that they do once a worker confirms it? It's the middle of the night right now so if it's the latter I can wait a day or so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back