Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7,531 of 7,711

some toys to play with the ZX-1 
L3000.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7,539 of 7,711
Have fun! Then tell us how you find them in regard to SQ.

thanks ... this walkman sounds great better and more powerful than A10 ... for me it worth the price increase .

its sound signature is neutral ... i don't find it bright at all ! ... it is not like my previous walkman F800 at all ! ... don't know why people keep saying that .. it is better ...
the bass ... depth of sound ... clarity ... i think this signature that my A15 was trying to mimic cheaply ... this walkman is very clear 
Bass : is tight ,meaty and powerful 
Mids: are melodic  i mean the instruments are very clear but the vocals are a bit recessed by comparison but clear also .
Treble : is delicate and airy 
Sound stage : wider than my RSA predator and about the same depth but there is added extra identification to the instruments some times .
Hiss : it hiss more than the A10 - less than the older F .
Battery life : effortlessly about 22 hours at near full volume  playing mp3 320 and 16 bit Flacs
this is with SE535 .... with etymotic hf-5 i didn't notice any hiss .

these impressions with my shure se535 with the default player and default sound enhancements enabled but without any effects on .

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7,540 of 7,711
let me tell you something funny .... last days i found my walkman sounds funny !! constricted vocals and sound stage ... i thoght it is a period of burning in or so .. but didn't change ... all music sudenly sounded constricted and lifeless ... the vocals specially sounded like there is some bad surround effect running or so !! 
i checked the eq .. off , the surrounds off , DSEE OFF !!! 

But then i found the Xloud option is ON ... don't know when i switched it on but it Supposed to affect only the internal speaker , right ?? wrong ! for some ****en odd reason it affect the headphone out very badly !!! 
even when i turned it off it make one moment cut of the sound effect like the dsee or other to the headphone out ... then the sound returned to its excellence again . clear mids .. open sound stage 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #7,541 of 7,711
let me tell you something funny .... last days i found my walkman sounds funny !! constricted vocals and sound stage ... i thoght it is a period of burning in or so .. but didn't change ... all music sudenly sounded constricted and lifeless ... the vocals specially sounded like there is some bad surround effect running or so !! 
i checked the eq .. off , the surrounds off , DSEE OFF !!! 

But then i found the Xloud option is ON ... don't know when i switched it on but it Supposed to affect only the internal speaker , right ?? wrong ! for some ****en odd reason it affect the headphone out very badly !!! 
even when i turned it off it make one moment cut of the sound effect like the dsee or other to the headphone out ... then the sound returned to its excellence again . clear mids .. open sound stage :ksc75smile:

I've owned ZX1 myself purchased used, very similar situation when it arrived. Plugged my IEM's in after opening the package and it sounded absolutely awful, extremely terrible, actually what I really thought was happening was an ouput impedance concern with my low impedance IEM. The previous owner had every effect, enhancement on along with a ridiculous amount of of EQ.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,542 of 7,711
I've owned ZX1 myself purchased used, very similar situation when it arrived. Plugged my IEM's in after opening the package and it sounded absolutely awful, extremely terrible, actually what I really thought was happening was an ouput impedance concern with my low impedance IEM. The previous owner had every effect, enhancement on along with a ridiculous amount of of EQ.

i was on the edge because of this ... thanks goddess of walkmans that led me to switch this option off 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

actually i was switching both Xloud & Clear phase on because i thought they affect only the players speaker and does not relate to the headphone out by any mean .. and i was wrong  

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #7,543 of 7,711
With all enhancements turned off, it drives my Z1r and Z7 perfectly. And mine is a EU capped version.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #7,545 of 7,711

With all enhancements turned off, it drives my Z1r and Z7 perfectly. And mine is a EU capped version.

yes i 've tried that .. impressive but i find the sound a bit too sharp on the treble .. the sound do change with this configuration 

​and have you tried disabling the sound enhancements from settings > Apps >sound ehnace app >disable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back