Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,533 of 7,711
For those looking for a case, I really liked the Dignis case, and found an eBay store that sold other Dignis items here in the United States. I sent them a message and asked if they could get the ZX1 case, and they've added a couple:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=ifgmarket&_sac=1

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #4,534 of 7,711
Picked up a immaculate condition used ZX1 from eBay. Not a UK model so no volume limitation (not that it might be a real issue, but better safe than sorry) loaded up about 90gb of lossless and 24 bit. Sat listening to Massive Attack with a big happy grin.
Different in sound to my AK100, somewhat more neutral I would say. Best keep both then.
Next find a case to help keep it shiny.
Another happy ZX1 owner.
Thanks for earlier responses to my questions everyone.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4,535 of 7,711
For those who bought their ZX1 from Japan like myself.

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzzx1/v1/en/contents/contentslist01.html

Quick Start Guide

Note: In the Quick Start Guide 

"About volume operation (Only for countries/areas complying with European Directives)

An alarm (beep)* and warning [Check the volume level] are meant to protect your ears when you raise the volume setting beyond a specific level for the first time. You can cancel the alarm and warning by tapping [OK] on the alert dialog.

The alarm (beep) does not sound when connecting a Bluetooth audio device.

NOTE
You can turn up the volume beyond the specific level after canceling the
alarm and warning.
After the initial warning, the alarm and warning repeat for every 20

cumulative hours that the volume is set beyond the specific level; when this
happens, the volume is changed to the initial setting automatically.
If the volume is set beyond the specific level and you turn off your Walkman,
the volume returns to the specific level automatically."

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,536 of 7,711
For those who bought their ZX1 from Japan like myself.

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzzx1/v1/en/contents/contentslist01.html

Quick Start Guide

Note: In the Quick Start Guide 

[COLOR=0000CD]"About volume operation (Only for countries/areas complying with European Directives)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]An alarm (beep)* and warning [Check the volume level] are meant to protect your ears when you raise the volume setting beyond a specific level for the first time. You can cancel the alarm and warning by tapping [OK] on the alert dialog.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]The alarm (beep) does not sound when connecting a Bluetooth audio device.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]NOTE[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]You can turn up the volume beyond the specific level after canceling the[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]alarm and warning.

After the initial warning, the alarm and warning repeat for every 20
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]cumulative hours that the volume is set beyond the specific level; when this[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]happens, the volume is changed to the initial setting automatically.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]If the volume is set beyond the specific level and you turn off your Walkman,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]the volume returns to the specific level automatically."[/COLOR]

Doesn't apply to PJ units. Sounds like an irritating mechanism, but it looks like theres technically no vol limitation on the EU version after all..

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,537 of 7,711
Doesn't apply to PJ units. Sounds like an irritating mechanism, but it looks like theres technically no vol limitation on the EU version after all..

No it doesn't. That occasional 'beep' would annoy me though and the software messing around with my settings. If that's written in Android I'm sure people will hack it out. I would.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,538 of 7,711
I find it strange that when I asked in the UK Sony store re EU volume, they emailed tech support to find an answer. They called me later to say 'definitely an EU limit and no way of disabling.' Ah well, I have mine now and paid far less, but could have waited for a UK one after all (when back in stock!!!)
Thought they would have known though.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #4,540 of 7,711
Anyone run into this problem:  starting 2-3 days ago, my ZX1 is not turning on any more.  I thought may be the battery ran out, so I let it charge overnight.  I also did the "hold the power button for a very long time" thing as well without luck.  I'm sure I'm missing something as I haven't seen any other reports like this when I did some search online.

Any advice or help on this is much apprciated?

Anil

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,541 of 7,711
Anyone run into this problem:  starting 2-3 days ago, my ZX1 is not turning on any more.  I thought may be the battery ran out, so I let it charge overnight.  I also did the "hold the power button for a very long time" thing as well without luck.  I'm sure I'm missing something as I haven't seen any other reports like this when I did some search online.

Any advice or help on this is much apprciated?

Anil

You let the battery run right down.

Leave it plugged in and then use a point and press the re-set. It should boot up after about 15-30 mins and then start charging. Use a stronger charger rather than a USB port.

It has happened to me a few times. The first time I thought I had bricked the ZX1:frowning2:

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,542 of 7,711

No it doesn't. That occasional 'beep' would annoy me though and the software messing around with my settings. If that's written in Android I'm sure people will hack it out. I would.

Hmmm I have the EU one and I remamber a warning the first time I tried out full volume. But no such thing since and no repeating warning. I am still hoping for a loudness comparison between devices. My possible choices: J3, SandisSansa Clip+ (without rockbox) If anybody has a Japan ZX1 and one of these we could compare them. 

Nice to see that there are more case-choices coming up. 

Ilkyway 

PS: I love my ZX1! I understand that no player is for everyone but mine will not be soled. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #4,543 of 7,711
You let the battery run right down.

Leave it plugged in and then use a point and press the re-set. It should boot up after about 15-30 mins and then start charging. Use a stronger charger rather than a USB port.

It has happened to me a few tines. The first time I thought I had bricked the ZX1:frowning2:

Whew :)  I will try this out later tonight.  I figured it was something like that, but kind of strange that the battery can run down so quickly.  I've had old ipods that sat in a drawer for several months and had no trouble charging when I connected them to a power source.

Anil

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,544 of 7,711
Picked up a immaculate condition used ZX1 from eBay. Not a UK model so no volume limitation (not that it might be a real issue, but better safe than sorry) loaded up about 90gb of lossless and 24 bit. Sat listening to Massive Attack with a big happy grin.
Different in sound to my AK100, somewhat more neutral I would say. Best keep both then.
Next find a case to help keep it shiny.
Another happy ZX1 owner.
Thanks for earlier responses to my questions everyone.

What are differences that you've found between the ZX1 and AK100? Treble, mids, bass, soundstage width/depth, etc?

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #4,545 of 7,711
I just got my ZX1 and dont consider myself the most critical of listeners....but the ZX1 feels more natural to me than my AK100. Hard to describe, but more organic and pleasing to my ears. Soundstage is wider with better depth perception and placement.

Very happy so far...Although battery drain listening to Play Music over wifi seems higher than I expected. Looks like about 6 hours worth, was hoping for closer to ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back