Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,731 of 7,711
  Even if this DAP is released in Europe, I would honestly still prefer to buy it from Japan.

Benefits of buying from Europe (if you live there):

Warranty
Convenience

Cons:

Volume capped

So what about price?

I estimate that, even if you get charged the full amount of import duty + VAT, it probably still won't cost more to import direct from Japan!

To me, a quality device from Sony, with no mechancial moving parts, is fairly unlikely to need warranty servicing, so, personally, I wouldn't think twice about the decision - I'd buy an uncrippled device direct from Japan.

pretty sure the warranty is worldwide with sony as it was with my 1070

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,733 of 7,711
Greed, thank you for the first impressions mate. Looking forward to read your (and Mim's?) detailed review with SE5way pairing. You guys said there is enough juice for SE5way, which is the most important thing for me, I might calm down on and quietly keep on saving money
happy_face1.gif
Still, I just can't delete the X5 and R10 from my list. Anyway I have plenty of time to wait I guess, thanks to my student wallet.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #2,734 of 7,711
If their now lauching this player worldwide and soon in the US, will Sony upgrade Android I ask.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,737 of 7,711
Would an android update make much difference?

Lots actually. Especially if it is to the new 4.4

Agreed with Greed. 4.4's one of the main goal was, even with the low hardware, you are supposed to get a smooth experience. Optimizing like a boss.

However, I doubt that Sony will do that, unfortunately.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,738 of 7,711
Would an android update make much difference?

No one knocks more speed although from what I've read here I see your point. The visuals might be smoother though?

Edit: you guys beat me to it.
Since it has already been rooted I wonder why one cannot upgrade it themselves?

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,739 of 7,711
Jan 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,740 of 7,711
Ended up buying PHA-2 for my ZX-1 after testing it out with a number of different cans I have.  I am still waiting on my Roxanne and JH16Pro (repair), so those impressions will have to come later.  

My initial impressions:

1) AUDEZE headphones:  PHA-2 can actually drive my large cans (LCD-XC and LCD-2) without major issues.  In fact, at high gain, LCD-XC sounded almost as good as with my previous set up (ZX-1 - LO - RXmk3-b+).  I felt that, although the PHA-2 did not pack the same punch and "meatiness" that RXmk3-b+ provided, there was definitely some gain in SQ from bypassing ZX-1s internal DAC.  I felt that there was a lot more resolution with the PHA-2 setup, and also deeper soundstage.  ZX-1 standalone, at least to me, has a wide but fairly "shallow" soundstage. 

LCD-2 sounded a little thin with the PHA-2, compared to my desktop or the ALO rig, but still decent, with same positives regarding resolution/soundstage.  I did not check all the specs, but I guess LCD-2 is a more difficult can to drive... I will probably never use the LCD-2 in a portable setup, so I was fine with this.

The ultimate setup for me was ZX1 - High Res cable - PHA-2 - LO - RXmk3-b+.  I used an ALO mini-to-mini cable to connect PHA-2's LO to RXmk3-b+ and used Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable (yes, the source is not balanced, so not much to be gained with this...)   The setup certainly sounded the best, taking advantage of the PHA-2 DAC while providing the punch of the ALO amp that I have gotten used to.  The only problem is that I was left with another triple decker, which was actually one of the reasons I wanted to get a high-end DAP anyway.

2) "Mid-Fi" headphones: I have a Sony MDR-1RBT and a B&O H6.  Both sounded fantastic with the PHA-2. Despite their relatively low power requirement, I actually thought ZX-1 did not properly drive these cans un-amped, and the PHA-2 dramatically improved SQ of both cans.  I guess the B&O in particular benefited from PHA-2.  Just beautiful bass - tight, fast and meaty, but not overdone - from the small cans.  Un-amped, the B&O sounds very light overall, but it becomes a completely different animal with the proper amping it seems.  Likely to be my weekend "travel light and/or Starbucks" rig for the next few months.

3) The only CIEMs I had on hand was JH5 Pros, which I use for my running, but I had to try them with the PHA-2.  Again, once I get Roxannes and my "reconstructed" 
frown.gif
 JH16s, I will post my impressions.  First of all, no hiss or white noise with the PHA-2!!!!  Since both of my currently-owned portable amps (the ALO and Fiio E12) are very hiss-prone with sensitive CIEMs, I was happy to find out that the background white noise was not present with the PHA-2 when I plugged in the JH5s.  PHA-2 certainly enhances the SQ (again, resolution and soundstage) when compared with listening to ZX-1 standalone.  

Just to keep everything in context,  I think I will likely choose JH16s/Roxannes un-amped with ZX-1 for daily use.   I will decide for sure when I get the CIEMs back from JH and give them through test-runs before full commitment, but the convenience of just slipping ZX-1 in my pocket when I am on a crowded train in Tokyo, even with all the aforementioned SQ gains, is probably hard to beat.  I do agree with AnakChan that ZX-1 standalone with a decent set of CIEMs is a high quality rig that allows me enjoy music almost to the fullest extent.  Certainly more so than my iPhone 5 or even the X3...  Besides, it does allow me to blend in with the crowd a little better than when I have my LCD-XCs only already huge head, carrying a triple decker in one hand....

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,741 of 7,711
BTW, are junior members not allowed post pics?  

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,743 of 7,711
Thanks for the heads up.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2,745 of 7,711

The ultimate setup for me was ZX1 - High Res cable - PHA-2 - LO - RXmk3-b+.  I used an ALO mini-to-mini cable to connect PHA-2's LO to RXmk3-b+ and used Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable (yes, the source is not balanced, so not much to be gained with this...)   The setup certainly sounded the best, taking advantage of the PHA-2 DAC while providing the punch of the ALO amp that I have gotten used to.  The only problem is that I was left with another triple decker, which was actually one of the reasons I wanted to get a high-end DAP anyway.

That pretty much nails it for me. I got tired of these huge rigs that won't fit in my pocket. That's always why I bought the Fiio X3 and more recently the ZX1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back