Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,251 of 7,711
Thanks! Now to wait till sony get more stock in and/or announce a european release (or get the courage to order through price japan!).

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,253 of 7,711
Received the ZX1 couple of days back, and have been putting it through the mills. Ive been primarily listening to the walkman through the headphone out, paired with the Fitear To Go ! 334 .
My impressions are based on my listening experience specific to the TG334, and so it may/may not vary for other iems/ears.
As a background to my impressions, I must say I had sworn allegiance to my Fitears the day I got them..a year ago maybe. I had taken the fire oath on not selling it, for lack of attention span and/or G.A.S. Ever since, I've been on the hunt to make it sound sweeter than ever. I have paired it with numerous amps and dacs in the past one year, never once being quite as satisfied, as I'm with the ZX1 pairing. Ill be comparing it to the DX100 out of memory, that I owned until last week and the iphone5 that I have been listening to, for portability sake.

Packaging and Build quality -
The Sony infuses much confidence through its excellent build quality, sharp product design and UI. The milled build commands its rightful price and has the right heft for the greens we put into it. The positions of buttons are purposeful and very intuitive to use, much like older Sony walkmans. The overall built has a nice tactile feel with clinically precise metal workmanship combined with some nice soft leathery backing.The UI is built on the android platform and works like a breeze. Its fast with no delay and thus far been very responsive. In comparison to the DX100 , Sony must be lauded for their epilepsy-free interface.
Im not too impressed with the case the ZX1 comes with though. Its tad too flimsy and seems almost cardboard-like.

Fitear 334/Sony ZX1 h/o 
Music- Almost all genres from alternative metal to classical.
Format - Flacs and 320kbps mp3.

Pairing with the 334 is simply superlative, for lack of a better word. The ZX1 injects a new life into the TG!334. I have always wished that the TG!334 had a tighter lower end and a bit of sparkle up above. Guess what, the ZX1 answers the prayers to a point where I feel that I'm listening to an entirely new and sophisticated iem. Im not sure what burn-in would bring in, but I don't buy that concept in its entirety, cynical as I am. The TG334 doesn't quite sound like the dark intimate iem they are known to be. Its now expansive, perfectly sparkly and uncompromising on the details it can juice out. Almost like, if I'd have wished the TG!334 had a bit of the AKG3003 mixed into it for good measure. 

The Sound

Highs- Highs are fresh and tingly. Got all the sparkle without sounding harsh at any point. I can imagine how some headfiers have found it cold with bright iems. In the case of the TG334, the highs are a blessing.The ZX1 is agile as a skipping stone on a pond. Doesn't miss a beat, and skims through the high frequencies effortlessly, while keeping the presentation neutral at all times. Cymbals crash gloriously and vocals have a nice rasp in the high note. I hear more details through the ZX1, than what I've heard through the DX100. Its surgical precise and revealing. The DX100 I owned had a rather tube sound to it, not helping the TG!334 as much as the ZX1 does.

Mids- I feel the mids have now settled a tad rearward and doesn't sound as pronounced as before. Its all in there, but the layering and presentation doesn't make me call the TG!334 a mid centric tyrant through the ZX1, as I'd have called it through the iphone5 or the DX100. A probable cause, may be because of the extensions at either end.

Bass -The bass hits hard and deep. The quantity is preserved while tightening the lower extension.The lows extend lower than what Ive been hearing through the DX100. Overall bass signature has shifted from being organic stereo biased bass towards a faster tighter sounding signature. The extensions are clear and has a nice rumble at the bottom end, giving a subtle texture to the signature.

Soundstage -The soundstage is wide ! This would probably be my most favorite bit of the player ! The music sounds expansive, airy and unhindered. The player definitely put me from the stage and into the crowds . Simply amazing feel to have while listening to the ZX1 via the 334.

Overall - I feel the music presentation is lively and rich. I haven't found a spot I could hole the ZX1 sound signature into, as it sounds very natural and neutral at the same time. If I could summarize the feel I got , I'd say it was very uplifting. ( maybe the time of the year is working its magic as well )
The ZX1 is definitely a step forward in comparison to the DX100 imo, and wipes the floor with the iPhone5, if you've been wondering why the iPhone hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
As proverbial as it may sound; ' if it looks good, it ought to be darn good' - applies very well to the Sony ZX1. 

Hope you guys find this helpful.

To better understand my impression based on what Ive been listening

Artist - Anathema
Album- Weather Systems
Song Title - Untouchables part 1

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,254 of 7,711
That's an excellent description of this DAP. And, though I don't have a pair of TG334, I do have the 3003i, and you have written impresssions that match my thoughts in a way that I could not type/verbalize. So I have modified your impressions to match my experience with the ZX1 and the 3003i's:

Quote:
  Received the ZX1 several days back, and have been putting it through the mills. Ive been primarily listening to the walkman through the headphone out, paired with the Fitear To Go ! 334 AKG 3003i .
My impressions are based on my listening experience specific to the TG334 3003i (and occasionally th900), and so it may/may not vary for other iems/ears.
........... I have paired it with numerous amps and dacs in the past one year several months, never once being quite as satisfied, as I'm with the ZX1 pairing. Ill be comparing it to........ iphone5s that I have been listening to, for portability sake.

Packaging and Build quality -
The Sony infuses much confidence through its excellent build quality, sharp product design and UI. The milled build commands its rightful price and has the right heft for the greens we put into it. The positions of buttons are purposeful and very intuitive to use, much like older Sony walkmans. The overall built has a nice tactile feel with clinically precise metal workmanship combined with some nice soft leathery backing.The UI is built on the android platform and works like a breeze. Its fast with no delay and thus far been very responsive......
Im not too impressed with the case the ZX1 comes with though. Its tad too flimsy and seems almost cardboard-like. The case is actually pretty usable for transporting. Although I was initially disappointed with its lack of button access.

Fitear 334/Sony ZX1 h/o 
Music- Almost all genres from alternative metal to classical.
Format - Flacs and 320kbps mp3 Alac.

Pairing with the 334   3003i is simply superlative, for lack of a better word. The ZX1 injects a new life into the TG!334  3003i. I have always wished sort of considered that the TG!334 3003i had a tighter lower end and a bit of sparkle up above. Guess what, the ZX1 answers the prayers to a point where I feel that I'm listening to an entirely new and sophisticated iem. Im not sure what burn-in would bring in, but I don't buy that concept in its entirety, cynical as I am. (I am cynical about burn in as well, but I do think there is a bit of it with the ZX1)............. Its now (even more) expansive, perfectly sparkly and uncompromising on the details it can juice out. Almost like, if I'd have wished the TG!334 had a bit of the AKG3003 mixed into it for good measure
basshead.gif

The Sound

Highs- Highs are fresh and tingly. Got all the sparkle without sounding harsh at any point.  Yes.

Mids- I feel the mids have now settled a tad rearward and doesn't sound as pronounced as before. I notice the same with the 3003i. Just slightly recessed mids.

Bass -The bass hits hard and deep. The quantity is preserved while tightening the lower extension...... The extensions are clear and has a nice rumble at the bottom end, giving a subtle texture to the signature. Your description here accurately describes the bass through the 3003i's.

Overall - I feel the music presentation is lively and rich. I haven't found a spot I could hole the ZX1 sound signature into, as it sounds very natural and neutral at the same time. If I could summarize the feel I got , I'd say it was very uplifting. ( maybe the time of the year is working its magic as well )
The ZX1 is definitely a step forward....., and wipes the floor with the iPhone5, if you've been wondering why the iPhone hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
As proverbial as it may sound; ' if it looks good, it ought to be darn good' - applies very well to the Sony ZX1.  After further listening, 'wipes the floor with the iPhone 5s' is a bit of a strong statement, but I can tell you, when I plug my 3003i's in to listen to music these days, it's always into the ZX1, and never into the iPhone 5s.

Hope you guys find this helpful.

To better understand my impression based on what Ive been listening

Artist - Anathema
Album- Weather Systems
Song Title - Untouchables part 1

I hope 3003 owners find this helpful. sup3r8, if you consider this plagiarism, just reply or drop me a pm and I'll delete. Once again, great summary!

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,255 of 7,711
woodcans  - Thanks for your words.  Im glad the impression could be of use to you and more importantly a wider audience (3003 owners)
I updated my impressions with my take on the soundstage, as I'd missed talking about it while gloriously basking in it..
tongue.gif

As a former 3003 owner, I can only imagine what the dap does to its already awesome soundstage !

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,256 of 7,711
  woodcans  - Thanks for your words.  Im glad the impression could be of use to you and more importantly a wider audience (3003 owners)
I updated my impressions with my take on the soundstage, as I'd missed talking about it while gloriously basking in it..
tongue.gif

As a former 3003 owner, I can only imagine what the dap does to its already awesome soundstage !

Interesting you mention the soundstage. I know most don't like Clear Audio+, but with the 3003's, when enabled, the soundstage is totally out of my head. Quite addictive, I have found. (Despite the slightly even more (slightly) recessed midrange, when CA+ is enabled).

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,257 of 7,711
Hey, can anyone please test how the Sony NW-ZX1 sounds with ATH M50 or Bose AE2? They're not too hard to drive but my Samsung Galaxy S4 can't really handle them (very low volume, muffled lows and no highs at all).

I had the Sony X1060 but unfortunately, the hold button broke. Anyways, the X1060 could drive my headphones with 20/30 volume no problem, and tons of clear bass too!
I just wonder how the NW-ZX1 compares against the X1060 and if I can continue listening without amp if I replace my old X1060 with it. I know I was spoiled with the X1060, but I can't listen to anything that sounds worse than it (yes, Samsung Galaxy S4, I'm looking at you D:)

I would be super grateful for any responses of the people who already have the player :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,258 of 7,711
I've found that with Clear Audio+ enabled, in addition to becoming a bit more recessed, midrange takes on a slightly weird echoey, plastic kind of tone (vocals mainly I mean). I don't like it on.... messes with stuff too much. I do however like dynamic normalizer, with how it equalizes volume. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,259 of 7,711
Would like to hear more on the 3x with impressions and comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it compare with your Merlin and also out of your AK100?

i had more chance to compare and i have to say that the Merlin's are in a different league altogether
Ok, the 3X need good burn in time, but still..there's no comparison really.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,260 of 7,711
  Hey, can anyone please test how the Sony NW-ZX1 sounds with ATH M50 or Bose AE2? They're not too hard to drive but my Samsung Galaxy S4 can't really handle them (very low volume, muffled lows and no highs at all).

I had the Sony X1060 but unfortunately, the hold button broke. Anyways, the X1060 could drive my headphones with 20/30 volume no problem, and tons of clear bass too!
I just wonder how the NW-ZX1 compares against the X1060 and if I can continue listening without amp if I replace my old X1060 with it. I know I was spoiled with the X1060, but I can't listen to anything that sounds worse than it (yes, Samsung Galaxy S4, I'm looking at you D:)

I would be super grateful for any responses of the people who already have the player :)

it's about four-rungs up the ladder compared to the X1060... should more than satisfy your requirements. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2,261 of 7,711
Here's a bit of a comparo:

iPhone 5s to m8 to tu-05 to th900

ZX1 to 3003i

Tracks: Cage the Elephant - Back Against the Wall & In One Ear

Notes:

m8 + tu-05:  slightly 'out of head'. The tu-05 just is a beast, particularly for it's size and battery power. Toe tapping combo, for sure. Bigger, larger sound. Mids in no way recessed. Fuller, more organic sound. 

ZX1 + 3003i: Mids are slightly recessed in comparison. Larger soundstage, even larger 'out of head' presentation. Slightly more compressed, thin sound when things get complicated. But the 3d soundstage is hard to beat when the music is not compressed.

Most surprising observation: the treble of the th900 and the akg 3003i are remarkably similar with the above sources.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,262 of 7,711

I had a pair of Bose AE2's but I gave them to my friend. I found them to have no low end, and too much high end. I don't have the ZX1 yet, but when I recently visited my friend, I tried out my F886 with them, and it made no improvement at all, in actual fact I couldn't continue to listen !

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #2,263 of 7,711
  I had a pair of Bose AE2's but I gave them to my friend. I found them to have no low end, and too much high end. I don't have the ZX1 yet, but when I recently visited my friend, I tried out my F886 with them, and it made no improvement at all, in actual fact I couldn't continue to listen !

That's okay, I know the Bose AE2 don't sound perfectly, but they're so incredibly comfortable (ATH M50 sound much better, flat, but are much less comfortable, also bigger and heavier). I know exactly what you mean, the low-end has no "punch" even if you use the equalizer. Anyways, I just want to know if the ZX1 can drive them with some spare volume so I can also play with the equalizer. As I said, they're not too hard to drive but if it can't drive those headphones then I'd be very disappointed. And with "can't drive" I mean full volume is very quiet and the sound is incredibly distorted or lacking literally all the highs and lows.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2,265 of 7,711
  That's okay, I know the Bose AE2 don't sound perfectly, but they're so incredibly comfortable (ATH M50 sound much better, flat, but are much less comfortable, also bigger and heavier). I know exactly what you mean, the low-end has no "punch" even if you use the equalizer. Anyways, I just want to know if the ZX1 can drive them with some spare volume so I can also play with the equalizer. As I said, they're not too hard to drive but if it can't drive those headphones then I'd be very disappointed. And with "can't drive" I mean full volume is very quiet and the sound is incredibly distorted or lacking literally all the highs and lows.

I couldn't agree more with the comfortable fit. Probably the most comfortable fit I've experienced, with any headphone I've tried ? The Sony MDR-10RC are a very similar comfortable fit to the AE2's. ( and obviously this is a product of the Hi Res range, so should be able to drive with the ZX1 / F series sufficiently ! ? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back