Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,237 of 7,711
  OK-Guy, it's not Redbook vs Hi-Rez, it's the sound-signature preference IMO. 

Sicko... lets discuss this in the WM-Z thread
normal_smile .gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,239 of 7,711

If you have 'SonicStage 4.3' it's just a click... alternatively you can drag & drop with ease... Media-Go does not automatically transfer files into 'library' from SonicStage... it will from WMP etc. 

With Hi-Res files 'right click on file> send to Walkman'... or transfer via Media-Go... hth.

your answer

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,240 of 7,711
  If I'm honest I'm feeling mixed feelings about the F886, from being very impressed, to not so. I need to listen to more music ( more varied music ) before I decide to take the plunge and purchase a ZX1. ( I'm sure i'll probably cave in at some point ! ? )
I've only listened to cd's ripped to flac and the undeniable thing is the detail & clarity, but is this down to the player, or the flac conversion ?? I'd say the latter, going by listening to flac via my Oppo player.
Depending on what type of music I've listened to, I've come to the opinion, that it's either the best I've heard the music, ( regards detail, and overall soundstage. ) or I've felt it can be a little too much high end, but that perception may be due to hearing more detail in the soundstage ? The degree of separation is also something you have to get use to. I'm hearing things in recordings, that I've not been aware of before. As you say, I think well produced albums are fine. Well anyway.....off to listen some more !

pretty much agree with most of what you say there but here's the thing, even with the slightly better detail & tiny increase over the Z1070 both the ZX1 & F877 seem to be afflicted by the same problem I mentioned, even you're noticing something different... I'm beginning to think Turok was onto something, now I'm critically listening to my music & that's something I only usually do when buying hi-fi gear, I much prefer to enjoy my tunes without thinking 'hold on that's not right'... can we take this to another Walkman thread (WM-Z) so we don't derail things for others. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,241 of 7,711

no problems with 'SonicStage 4.3' with Windows-7 whatsoever.

I just tried a download, cant get from Sony as withdrawn, managed couple of other places. On running it says 'Cant Get Data From Server'. Its an installer rather than  the actual program it seems.  Maybe I cant get it to run because I'm 64 bit windows?  Last time I tried, about 6 months ago, I read there were problems after Vista.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,242 of 7,711
Got the UM 3X today and its def a trebly affair with the ZX1 tho i like it somehow..great bass extension and detail,separation us tops too..
Great iem for £200
More listening..
Ive also ordered FISCHER AMPS FA-4E XB

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,243 of 7,711

I just tried a download, cant get from Sony as withdrawn, managed couple of other places. On running it says 'Cant Get Data From Server'. Its an installer rather than  the actual program it seems.  Maybe I cant get it to run because I'm 64 bit windows?  Last time I tried, about 6 months ago, I read there were problems after Vista.

you need the right web-link for SonicStage 4.3, most have expired so to speak as it's not supported by Sony anymore since Media-Go appeared, I'll hunt one down and post a link in the next day or so... there maybe one in the 'Z1070 help for dummies' thread that probably still works.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,244 of 7,711

you need the right web-link for SonicStage 4.3, most have expired so to speak as it's not supported by Sony anymore since Media-Go appeared, I'll hunt one down and post a link in the next day or so... there maybe one in the 'Z1070 help for dummies' thread that probably still works.

OT:   Thanks, found a full Spanish version of Sonic stage  :wink:   Trying torrents now.     Seems on community.sony.com they say that SS only works on up to 32 bit Vista when some one else queried what to use for my player, a Sony NW-A808. Not impressed that Sony can make a player that won't use drag and drop, stop support of its only software, and then a few months after its release, bring out a new player almost identical that will support PnP!

EDIT - OK-Guy, you are a star. Not all versions of Sonic 4.3 are the same. Got one running on Win 7 now. Just got to convert some of my Flacs to Wav now!

Bringing back to topic, if I can grab a listen to the ZX1 over xmas and like it, I will bin the A808 and get the ZX.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,246 of 7,711

Try to use another player than the sony stock one. for example, like PowerAmp. Then equalize to your likings :). FLAC conversion should not matter, since it is already lossless.

I downloaded the free two week trial of Poweramp, only briefly listened & fiddled with equalizer. To be honest I preferred not using Poweramp, but will try it again.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,247 of 7,711
Got the UM 3X today and its def a trebly affair with the ZX1 tho i like it somehow..great bass extension and detail,separation us tops too..
Great iem for £200
More listening..
Ive also ordered FISCHER AMPS FA-4E XB

Would like to hear more on the 3x with impressions and comparisons :)
How does it compare with your Merlin and also out of your AK100?

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,248 of 7,711
I have just sold the AK100, id day it'll be quite good prob.
Haven't had any time yet to compare, but the 3X are not quite there with the Merlins, but they are great in there own right for sure,
Had a quick listen with the Togo 334's and thought the 3X were more open and layered,
Also a lot more treble, but still good bass extension,i preferred the them to the darker 334, although the togo's are better pairing with ZX1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back