Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #646 of 2,024
Quote:

I think this ain't gonna happen :p. Silly me for not checking, it won't play my 24/96 of course not 24/192. I should have checked first before buying it!! Looks like I'll be putting this up for sale in the next few hours. Anyone interested, please PM me. Will sell at cost.

*jumps up and down*
Me, me, me, I've been very nice Santa, very very nice !

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #648 of 2,024
Quote:
even poweramp cant play 24/96 from the F series?

Thanks for the reminder...yes it does. I'm trying it right now. I have only one 24/96 tracks though and 90% in 24/192. I could convert them down but I'll probably continue keeping the 24/192 for my DX100 (i.e. I'll be keeping multiple copies in various sampling rates for various DAPs, prob not worth it).

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #649 of 2,024
Quote:

I also have the X walkman and continue to think very highly of it even after I upgraded to newer models. All newer models with S-master Pro MX digital ampfier do sound better than the X1060 to my ears.    These models continue to excel in extra sense of air between instrument and its natural presentation.  They however differ from one to another but generally, they are on the same level of sound quality.  The improvements from X include better depth of soundstage, more musical details in recordings, and better extension on both end of the spectrum.  Whether you will be able to discern these difference depending on the type of music you listen to, file types, and most importantly, your phones of choice.  My JH13pro sure come in handy at differentiating them apart as it is ruthlessly accurate.  Whether you buy the A, F, or Z, you will be rewarded with noticeably improvement over any "i" devices out there.  Heck, I don't feel my DX100 is that much better at playing regular lossless songs than what these walkmans are capable off if you primarily using a highend universal or custom IEM.  The improvements become more obvious on harder to drive phones as the Ibasso DX100 has a stronger and beefier amp section.  The gap grows even larger when playing hi-rez material on the DX100.  

On the issue of which is more energetic b/w the Z and F.  I do feel that the Z's superior bass response and better PRAT do make it more energetic and fun to listen to than the F.  The F wins on clarity, details, and top end extension though as previously mentioned by Turok and others in this thread.  So pick your flavor and go with it.

I also want to add that the transfer rates on the newer models are at least 6 to 8 times faster than those of the X1060.  That alone is a lot less frustration.

I do have the A-866 (32GB version) and I think it is a seriously underrated player, I don´t know why but somehow some trashing reviews which had nothing to do with sound dumped it last year and of course as usual the masses kind of ruled it out bypassing what really matters: sound quality! (personally I only use wav anyways, on 32GB equated to about 39-40 full cd´s at any given moment, more than enough)
Besides the (probably) very same soundmaster mx amp section and tiny size It has something most of this year´s player are missing: volume up/down, play/pause and next/previous track buttons! ever you ever thought about this for day to day in pocket use? lol

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #650 of 2,024
Quote:

Thanks for the reminder...yes it does. I'm trying it right now. I have only one 24/96 tracks though and 90% in 24/192. I could convert them down but I'll probably continue keeping the 24/192 for my DX100 (i.e. I'll be keeping multiple copies in various sampling rates for various DAPs, prob not worth it).

How about just a lossless comparison b/w F807 & DX100 using IEM?  I'm curious to hear what would be your impression b/w the two units.

Quote:

I do have the A-866 (32GB version) and I think it is a seriously underrated player, I don´t know why but somehow some trashing reviews which had nothing to do with sound dumped it last year and of course as usual the masses kind of ruled it out bypassing what really matters: sound quality! (personally I only use wav anyways, on 32GB equated to about 39-40 full cd´s at any given moment, more than enough)
Besides the (probably) very same soundmaster mx amp section and tiny size It has something most of this year´s player are missing: volume up/down, play/pause and next/previous track buttons! ever you ever thought about this for day to day in pocket use? lol

I love my US & Japanese/Asian A walkmans but found the Euro version to sound inferior to other released.  Yes, the physical button is way nice and I love the hold button as well.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #651 of 2,024
Quote:

How about just a lossless comparison b/w F807 & DX100 using IEM?  I'm curious to hear what would be your impression b/w the two units.

Thx Dyaems reminding me of PowerAmp. Anyway very very briefly (i.e. probably rather an unfair test), I put on Buena Vista Social Club (24/96 with PowerAmp), and Lana Del Rey Born To Die (24/44.1 - Sony's stock player). My IEMs are the FitEar TO GO! 334.

In both cases the DX100 was more holographic in its 3D imaging and it was pretty much immediately noticeable. I added Hideki Matsutake and K.I. Capsule's Digital Moon (16/44.1) and the same result.

I could try burning in the NW-F807S but with the differences I heard, they were great enough I'm somewhat skeptical the 807S will be able to keep up even after warming up. I may try comparing the 807S against the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 with AD8397 and V-Moda VAmp with OPA1612 (basically a Go-DAP too) and see if that's a fairer comparison. That'll be comparing FLAC & ALAC though.

One thing though, with the 807S UI, the DX100 feels like a dinosaur.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #652 of 2,024
Quote:

Thx Dyaems reminding me of PowerAmp. Anyway very very briefly (i.e. probably rather an unfair test), I put on Buena Vista Social Club (24/96 with PowerAmp), and Lana Del Rey Born To Die (24/44.1 - Sony's stock player). My IEMs are the FitEar TO GO! 334.

In both cases the DX100 was more holographic in its 3D imaging and it was pretty much immediately noticeable. I added Hideki Matsutake and K.I. Capsule's Digital Moon (16/44.1) and the same result.

I could try burning in the NW-F807S but with the differences I heard, they were great enough I'm somewhat skeptical the 807S will be able to keep up even after warming up. I may try comparing the 807S against the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 with AD8397 and V-Moda VAmp with OPA1612 (basically a Go-DAP too) and see if that's a fairer comparison. That'll be comparing FLAC & ALAC though.

One thing though, with the 807S UI, the DX100 feels like a dinosaur.

Would love to hear your thought on the regular 16 bit 44.1khz comparison b/w the DX100 vs. F807.  The F807 has no chance against the DX100 playing hi-rez material, but I thought that the difference is much closer with regular 44.1 khz lossless.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #653 of 2,024
Quote:
Would love to hear your thought on the regular 16 bit 44.1khz comparison b/w the DX100 vs. F807.  The F807 has no chance against the DX100 playing hi-rez material, but I thought that the difference is much closer with regular 44.1 khz lossless.

Well, (I guess this is relative) but to me Lana Del Rey's 24/44.1 is quite regular. But I also have Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible & It's TIme albums on both DAPs (16/44.1). Let me have a listen to these.

P.S. BTW, is there a way to stop the NW-F807S to stop pausing the music when I unplug the headphone jack? I synchronise the tracks to start simultaneously on both DAPs and that's how I A/B but it's PITA to have to hit play on the 807S, then forward to catch up with the DX100 (or to pause the DX100 to wait for the 807S to catch up).

Edit: Raw notes whilst I'm listening :-
A) Michael Buble: It's Time: Quando Quando Quando, and It's Time
   1) DX100 deeper bass
   2) Vocals on 807S seems to be a little more forward than the DX100 (maybe that's why I've read some of you have mentioned the 807S may be more neutral)
   3) I seem to feel the DX100 gives better separation between the vocals and instruments - however I'm not really ready to say that the DX100 has a wider soundstage but the 807S seems to sound somewhat more congested
   4) There seems to be clarity in the DX100 over the 807S too - is this another side-effect of (3)??
   5) Holographic effect on the DX100 not as great but still apparent over the 807S. But the difference between the two is reduced quite a bit when the sampling rate is lower (i.e. non-hires).

B) Hideki Matsutake & K.I. Capsule: Digital Moon: James Bond Theme & Diamonds Are Forever (basically late 70's electronic synthesizer music)
   1) Harder to tell with electronic music 807S seems more energetic
   2) DX100 provides the "bigger sound" but somewhat "slower"

Difference seems more apparent with more acoustic instruments and vocals but less so with electronic produced music. If I don't have the DX100 by my side, the F807S is quite satisfactory. Having the DX100 there, the DX100 seems to be the more satisfying DAP sonically. Size, portability, battery life, etc. factors are probably more obvious.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #654 of 2,024
Quote:

Well, (I guess this is relative) but to me Lana Del Rey's 24/44.1 is quite regular. But I also have Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible & It's TIme albums on both DAPs (16/44.1). Let me have a listen to these.

P.S. BTW, is there a way to stop the NW-F807S to stop pausing the music when I unplug the headphone jack? I synchronise the tracks to start simultaneously on both DAPs and that's how I A/B but it's PITA to have to hit play on the 807S, then forward to catch up with the DX100 (or to pause the DX100 to wait for the 807S to catch up).

Not really, but if you have a 1/8" mini extension cable and leave it plug in, that will do the trick.  

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #655 of 2,024
Quote:
Not really, but if you have a 1/8" mini extension cable and leave it plug in, that will do the trick.  

I added my -really raw- "on the fly" notes above. This is ONLY based on repeating the 4 tracks over and over again A/B-ing continuously. Sometimes spending 30 seconds on one DAP before switching, other times only 10 seconds. Then rewinding both and re-starting the process, etc.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #656 of 2,024
Thanks Anakchan.  Your impressions b/w the two players (DX100 & F807) playing regular lossless are very similar to my findings.  Given that the DX100 is roughly three times the thickness of the F807, the F807 is very remarkable in itself.  And yes, I do prefer the DX100 over the F807 as well, but the F807 is much more of a complete package.  BTW, did you test this out with IEM or full size phones?  I found the difference are even smaller with IEMs.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #657 of 2,024
Power-amp plays 24/96, but converts them to 44.1/16 real time!

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #658 of 2,024
Finally did it .. Thanks for all you responded to my queries. my Sony F will arrive tomorrow from Amazon. Will compare it against the Sony X with and without amp 

Thanks
PC 

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #659 of 2,024

Quote:
Thanks Anakchan.  Your impressions b/w the two players (DX100 & F807) playing regular lossless are very similar to my findings.  Given that the DX100 is roughly three times the thickness of the F807, the F807 is very remarkable in itself.  And yes, I do prefer the DX100 over the F807 as well, but the F807 is much more of a complete package.  BTW, did you test this out with IEM or full size phones?  I found the difference are even smaller with IEMs.

I've not tried that out yet. Believe it or not my TH-900's gone back to Fostex 'cos now the right cup broke at the Fujiya Autumn Festival :wink:. Should be getting back the headphones today though.

Edit: You're right about the F807 giving good value for $$ seeing the DX100 is quite pricey.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #660 of 2,024
Quote:

I've not tried that out yet. Believe it or not my TH-900's gone back to Fostex 'cos now the right cup broke at the Fujiya Autumn Festival :wink:. Should be getting back the headphones today though.

Edit: You're right about the F807 giving good value for $$ seeing the DX100 is quite pricey.

Sorry to hear about your TH-900.  Please report back when you get to make comparison b/w the DX100 and the F807 using an IEM.  The results b/w the the two DAP playing normal lossless file should be even closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back