Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #616 of 2,024
Quote:
So if i read you correctly , there is no benefit from amping the F series as Headphone out is really that good .. How about Line out .. Is it the same as Sony X or better .. I am hoping to hear the difference when using line out if i am to buy the next gen Sony

Yes, the headphones out performance of the newer digital amp module is really good.  Amping it can provide minor benefit at the expense of carrying around additional equipment.  However, you will need a really good amp to reveal those improvements.  A mid level portable amps via line out will likely be just a side-step sound quality wise or inferior sounding compared to the player's headphones output.  This only applies to IEM though as more difficult to drive phones will see more voltage swing from additional amplification.  I have not tested the line out but suspect them to be identical.    Remember though, the F is capable of FLAC and you will enjoy the benefit of lossless over lossy formats if you upgrade from the X to F.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #618 of 2,024
Quote:
For those interested, the F also maintains tag info added to WAV files such as album and artist. Perhaps a benefit from Android 4.0.

What?...have to test this..thanks.

This F, is Fabulous! (until the Z gets The update...
wink_face.gif
)

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #619 of 2,024
Quote:

What?...have to test this..thanks.

This F, is Fabulous! (until the Z gets The update...
wink_face.gif
)

We are all such nerds.  I'm testing as we speak.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #620 of 2,024
Hi guys, I am a z owner as well, and I just read the comment that the F series supports wav file tagging.
Just wondering on the device itself is there an albums folder with .alb files in it for the wav files?
My walkman a864 supports wav file tagging by doing it this way some how or other.  
Thanks.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #621 of 2,024
sorry if this has been asked. does the F still needs sonicstage? or drag and drop is OK?

ive taken the plunge of the F instead of the Z (sorry OK-Guy!) so that i have enough money to fund an SRS002 =)

will receive it in about 5-10 days estimate

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #624 of 2,024
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #625 of 2,024
My "Z" still stands Triumphant in the knowledge that... It and I are close friends... but if the "F" really does sound that good comparatively (has to sound so close to the Z that I won't really notice with my CIEMS), then maybe I'll convert over.  I only have room for 1 DAP, so the "Z" would have to go first.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #626 of 2,024
I may have bought Alex's last 64GB before he left for Singapore :)

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #628 of 2,024
Quote:
My "Z" still stands Triumphant in the knowledge that... It and I are close friends... but if the "F" really does sound that good comparatively (has to sound so close to the Z that I won't really notice with my CIEMS), then maybe I'll convert over.  I only have room for 1 DAP, so the "Z" would have to go first.

Well, you will need to audition the two side by side for yourself and then decide.  The Z has better bass while the F is focus more on clarity.  The Z is more energetic but slightly darker tonally while the F is flatter and very neutral.  This leads to the Z being less accurate but more enjoyable to my ears.  Still, they are in the same level sonically, but just different.  Turok should share his impressions as well.  Operation wise, the F is much quicker and better interface.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #629 of 2,024
Quote:

Well, you will need to audition the two side by side for yourself and then decide.  The Z has better bass while the F is focus more on clarity.  The Z is more energetic but slightly darker tonally while the F is flatter and very neutral.  This leads to the Z being less accurate but more enjoyable to my ears.  Still, they are in the same level sonically, but just different.  Turok should share his impressions as well.  Operation wise, the F is much quicker and better interface.

Hmmmm... since I listen with the TF10 and the Heir 4.A (which is already flat), it might make the "F" to lifeless for me... dunno.  Sounds like an interesting comparison though.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #630 of 2,024
Quote:
Hmmmm... since I listen with the TF10 and the Heir 4.A (which is already flat), it might make the "F" to lifeless for me... dunno.  Sounds like an interesting comparison though.

I didn't say that the F is lifeless.  However, it is more neutral than the Z, and the A in a direct comparison.  If you prefer clarity and details, I would choose the F over the Z & A...but if like bass and more energetic sound, the Z will give you the best punch among the three players following by the A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back